Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Worse sleep with CPAP machine
RE: Worse sleep with CPAP machine
Ok, I wonder if you are wearing the mask correctly. Maybe the straps aren't attached properly.
A mask should not cause your ear and jawline to be swollen. Sad

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2016, 09:36 PM)Jules23 Wrote: How do you people do it????

It wasn't easy for me, but from what you're telling us, it was much much harder for you. For some reason some people just can't tolerate it and those of us who can just don't understand why everyone else can't also tolerate it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2016, 09:57 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Even the highest pressure the typical machine can put out is only about 2% of the normal air pressure at sea level.

Yes, but tolerating a pressure 2% above atmospheric pressure is not the same as tolerating a pressure difference of 2%.

Descending from the top of a sky scraper might cause a rise in pressure of 2%, but once you adjust by a pop of the ears or whatever, that's a 2% rise on both the inside and outside of your body.

With a CPAP machine you're raising the pressure inside your lungs by 2%, but the pressure outside your body remains the same.

Pressurizing your entire bedroom doesn't have the same effect as strapping on a CPAP machine. The former will do nothing to help your obstructive sleep apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2016, 09:52 PM)Sleepster Wrote: With a CPAP machine you're raising the pressure inside your lungs by 2%, but the pressure outside your body remains the same.

Sure, but taking American units the air pressure at sea level is 14 pounds per square inch, more or less. A CPAP going full blast puts an extra .28 or less that 5 ounces per square inch. And most patients get a lot less pressure than that. If you hold your lips closed and blow out to puff out your cheeks you are probably adding a lot more pressure than your CPAP is capable of.

I see nothing wrong with starting well below your goal pressure to start. Start out as high as you can stand and take a few days or weeks or whatever you need to get comfortable then slowly raise it to your indicated therapeutic level. I didn't need that but I am sure some people do.

That said we know there are a lot of people who can't and don't get used to CPAP and fail compliance and the rate of failure is disturbingly high - too high in my opinion, and I think that the companies that make them and I the doctors that prescribe them need to do some serious thinking about that.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 272 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,444 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 5 398 03-14-2024, 07:45 AM
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 142 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.