Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Worst night!
Worst night!
Hello all,

Last night was the worst night ive ever had since I started APAP a week ago. As usual, I could not fall asleep with the mask on. I hear my breathing which is loud isung my P10, and I have these wierd rushes and BP spikes if I do start to. After just laying there for am hour, I took 5mg Ambien and finally fell asleep. This was around midnight. At 0140, I woke up with a total dry mouth (I use a chinstrap), my machine putting max pressure thru the pillows and im leaking like a screen door. I reset the machine and took a little piece of an Ambien I had left (2mg much maybe) the slept till maybe 0530, took off the mask then slept again to 0830, then woke up after having a dream about a pet duck (!) which must mean I was in REM.

My AHI for the long session was 10.67. I can understand that with all the probs I had. Will I ever be able to fall asleep without sleeping pills and will I ever lose the sleep onset desats. They are scary and make this old man super anxious. I must add I am a very Type A.

One last note: My sleep Dr/ENT just diagnosed me as being slight hypothyroid and put my on Armour Thyroid med. Im actually happy to know this cuz I been feeling like crap for so long.

God Bless all..
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Worst night!
I switched from the P10 to the Wisp and found my too high leak rate and the sound of my own breathing disappeared. I'm also using a hose cover that cuts down on that type of sound. And, my third chinstrap was the one that actually worked for me. Sadly, there is a bit of trial and error to the CPAP experience. Good luck with getting your issues solved-don't give-up! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
GTODude.
Pillows may not be the way to go for you.
Im thinking you are mouth leaking, which can happen even with a chin strap. I say this because of your dry mouth.

Which chin strap are you using?
If you cant get the mouth leaking under control,( it does make it hard to inhale if pressure is exiting your mouth and you are tryin to breathe in thru your mouth), you may need a ffm. I recommend saving yourself a lot of trial and error and getting a SIMPLUS ffm IF you need to go that route.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2015, 10:30 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: GTODude.
Pillows may not be the way to go for you.
Im thinking you are mouth leaking, which can happen even with a chin strap. I say this because of your dry mouth.

Which chin strap are you using?
If you cant get the mouth leaking under control,( it does make it hard to inhale if pressure is exiting your mouth and you are tryin to breathe in thru your mouth), you may need a ffm. I recommend saving yourself a lot of trial and error and getting a SIMPLUS ffm IF you need to go that route.
The other night I didnt leak. My graph looked pretty good. I think this was an uncommon experience. My anxiety level was petty high yesterday but today I've been feeling better.

I have a Respironics chin strap I believe it is. It is kinda wide, with another small strap goes behind the head. Got it from my DME.

FFM's are out of the question for a couple reasons: I have facial hair which I dont wanna shave off. Im drop dead ugly without it. Im also a side sleeper and it would get knocked off. I tried a few some years ago (before I got serious about this). Made me claustrophobic and I could not control the leaks no matter what I did. Damn thing would fart and drive me nuts.

I also have a hose cover. My huge problem is just falling asleep as I mentioned in the OP and the rushes. The Ambien gets me past that but I dont want to take them forever.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
I know that I had a heck of a fight with anxiety during the first two weeks, so my Dr put me on low dose valium with a taper (10 days total) and that seemed to do the trick.......
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
GTOdude,

I am a side sleeper with facial hair and I use a full face mask quite successfully. My leakage rates are often zero. The first full face mask that I tried, I could not get to stay sealed at all. I wouldf recommend either the Simplus that Ghost recommended or the Mirage Quattro which is what I use.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2015, 01:43 AM)PaytonA Wrote: GTOdude,

I am a side sleeper with facial hair and I use a full face mask quite successfully. My leakage rates are often zero. The first full face mask that I tried, I could not get to stay sealed at all. I wouldf recommend either the Simplus that Ghost recommended or the Mirage Quattro which is what I use.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Love the Simplus!

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like I cannot use the F10. Hurts my nostrils and all I do is lay there and listen to my breathing. Taking 5mg Ambien when i laid down ay 2300 and another 5 while I laid there at 0200 still did nothing. During that time I almost fell asleep but had one of those head rush and wake back up incidents happen and that was it. Scared the heck outta me. I pulled off that infernal hang man's noose for a chin strap, propped myself up a bit on my back and laid there till 0300, turned the machine off, rolled over on my tummy and fell immediately asleep and woke up at 0715. I have a cold coming on also.

I am waiting to see how my mew thyroid med helps/hurts before I make any decisions. My morning temp was 96.6 so I know my furnace aint running right..
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
MSgt, I think you are having panic attacks. Short term use of a benzodiazepene such as Lorazapam might help. Or, one of the sedative antidepressants. You need to discuss meds with your doc. Keep benzodiazepene use short as it is addictive; and we older folks have a harder time getting off them.

I'm also thinking that a Full-Face Mask may be right for you. Payton and I both use the same type FFM and get good seal at relatively high pressures.

Good deal on getting the DX on the thyroid. That can really pull you down; I need to have my T3 checked next doc visit.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo

"Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in all we do."
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2015, 11:19 AM)justMongo Wrote: MSgt, I think you are having panic attacks. Short term use of a benzodiazepene such as Lorazapam might help. Or, one of the sedative antidepressants. You need to discuss meds with your doc. Keep benzodiazepene use short as it is addictive; and we older folks have a harder time getting off them.

I'm also thinking that a Full-Face Mask may be right for you. Payton and I both use the same type FFM and get good seal at relatively high pressures.

Good deal on getting the DX on the thyroid. That can really pull you down; I need to have my T3 checked next doc visit.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo

"Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in all we do."
Mongo, I wont do Benzos if I can help it. I got hooked on Xanax several years ago when I had this problem before. I was on .25mg for a while. I been taking 50mg of Amitryptilene for a number of years, and it doesn't work anymore either. Am trying to wean off that. I agree with it may being panic attacks. It is zero fun when you're laying there trying to clear your mind, which is running way over the speed limit, and you just start to nod off and you stop breathing and come to with a start and a BIG head rush. Scary. Then that's it for me. And Ambien didnt do anything for me last night..

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 453 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] WORST SLEEP APNEA IN RECORDED HISTORY, plzzz help! memoryNada786 23 2,803 09-11-2023, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Mjadalak
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 576 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Took a turn for the worst. Please help with OSCAR Charts LBTRS 14 1,624 06-21-2021, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,111 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.