Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Would Room Humidifier Help??
Would Room Humidifier Help??
After weeks of ER Visits from panic attacks at night thinking I was having a heart attack, I realized I can't breathe at night.

News says our air has been drier than the Sahara Desert and I don't know if the machine can compensate - I do have a heated climate hose.  I have tried Auto and Manual set to 6, and my nose is closing after about an hour.  I have the Temp set to about 78 as I don't like breathing hot air.  I end up trying to mouth breathe which doesn't really work and then wake up in a panic.

I also have an Airlift F20 - have tried it and after mouth breathing in it for about 15 minutes my mouth and throat and dry and burning.  And it feels like I am breathing real hot air and it feels suffocating.

There just doesn't seem to be any humidity in the masks - I prefer nasal or pillows and have never been able to tolerate a full face, but my nose is closing due to no moisture.  The water bin is empty after about 6 hours so it is trying.  I wake up every hour or 2 in a panic with nose closed.  I have a heated hose and have tried Auto and Manual as high as 6 - the Manual doesn't really seem to do anything.  I have the temp set to about 78 as I don't like to breathe really hot air.

Do I need to get a room humidifier for these times when the air is just too dry?  Would that help any?

I am desperate for any kind of sleep - I have not had more than 2 hours in a row in weeks and can't function anymore.  I've tried many nasal and pillow masks and the one full face, and nothing is working.

Thanks for any suggestions and if I should try to get a room humidifier for the bedroom.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Would Room Humidifier Help??
Actually you might be getting too much humidity. Try going the other way by reducing the humidity and temperature. Sometimes humidity will cause a stuffed up nose.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wish - it is day as the desert.  Since I've been on CPAP for over 10 years, I know what good humidity feels like and it doesn't seem like there is any, even though water bins empties at 5-6 hours.  This is the driest air here I can ever remember, and I just really wonder if adding humidity to the room would help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe it is worth a try then. I think room humidifiers are pretty common anywhere they have medical supplies? You may even be able to get setup with one tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah they are not expensive either - maybe it would make everything more comfortable and maybe the machine wouldn't have to work so hard - who knows? I'll try anything at this point.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know how it goes. Best of luck, I hope it solves the problem for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an inexpensive Hygrometer in my room. It lets me know the humidity level and temperature.
If the humidity level is too low, I run a room humidifier.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - Our a/c system also shows us the humidity (or lack thereof).  I will be getting a room humidifier and trying it tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bluemom51,
Good luck, you have been struggling for quite a while wit all this, I hope the room humidifier helps, let us know how things go for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The first thing an a/c dose is dehumidify the air before it cools. So if you are going to use humidifier and your a/c they willcsnceller each other out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 163 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 416 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 284 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 940 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 526 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 438 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,268 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.