Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Would SleepyHead or Encore work better for me?
Would SleepyHead or Encore work better for me?
After an initial misfire with Windows 8, I now have a new Windows 7 computer. My XPAP machine is a PR System One BiPap Auto BiFlex 760P. I'm trying to decide between SleepyHead and Encore Viewer/Basic. I would have the following preferences: ease of installation by a non techie, efficacy of results, ease of operation and, well, you get the idea. The ability to interface with my DME and sleep doc would be good also. My DME runs EncoreAnywhere, not sure about my doc.

Can you folks compare and contrast these two for me, and give me your opinions?

Thanks all!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Would SleepyHead or Encore work better for me?
I asked the same question and was advised to try both.
Post Reply Post Reply
Each leaves something to be desired. I recommend that you have both.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2013, 01:18 PM)oak Wrote: I asked the same question and was advised to try both.

(08-03-2013, 02:55 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Each leaves something to be desired. I recommend that you have both.

Will they coexist peacefully on the same computer? I thought you were prompted as to where you wanted your data sent repetitively upon first insertion of your SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Each software package first copies the data off the SD card to its own location. I don't know if you have a choice of where it's copied to, but it doesn't matter. I just use the default location. No issues.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2013, 01:13 PM)old dude Wrote: After an initial misfire with Windows 8, I now have a new Windows 7 computer. My XPAP machine is a PR System One BiPap Auto BiFlex 760P. I'm trying to decide between SleepyHead and Encore Viewer/Basic. I would have the following preferences: ease of installation by a non techie, efficacy of results, ease of operation and, well, you get the idea. The ability to interface with my DME and sleep doc would be good also. My DME runs EncoreAnywhere, not sure about my doc.

Can you folks compare and contrast these two for me, and give me your opinions?

Thanks all!

Both will co-exist on the same system. The biggest difference for me is Encore gives more waveform graphs.
SleepHead does less but show lots of different data on the same page. I started off with SleepHead and use it the most for the occasional look at how I'm doing.
Encore is good to print out for the Doc when I see him. He loves charts and graphs.
Both are good. One is free, the other isn't.
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's far more important to have SleepyHead. It is designed by a CPAP-user for CPAP-users. This is evident when you use it. A lot of thought has gone into it, and it's only problem is that the work was never finished. It was in beta when the author stopped working on it, and it still is. It'll now be up to others to continue its development. A good test of the utility of the open source concept, if you ask me.

Encore is really a very poorly written piece of software. It was designed for DME's to use, not patients. Personally I find its waveforms hard to use and to see. SleepyHead can be configured to show every waveform I'm ever interested in seeing.

The only reason I use Encore is because sometimes I find the SleepyHead leak data questionable, something that probably affects only BiPAP users. I also like the way Encore can print a single page showing the average AHI, CAI, OAI, and HI. SleepyHead could probably do the same thing, though.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick SleepyHead. I wouldn't want to be without SleepyHead, but I could easily get by without Encore.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster said it better.
He's right. Grab SleepyHead.
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2013, 01:09 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I think it's far more important to have SleepyHead. It is designed by a CPAP-user for CPAP-users. This is evident when you use it. A lot of thought has gone into it, and it's only problem is that the work was never finished. It was in beta when the author stopped working on it, and it still is. It'll now be up to others to continue its development. A good test of the utility of the open source concept, if you ask me.

Encore is really a very poorly written piece of software. It was designed for DME's to use, not patients. Personally I find its waveforms hard to use and to see. SleepyHead can be configured to show every waveform I'm ever interested in seeing.

The only reason I use Encore is because sometimes I find the SleepyHead leak data questionable, something that probably affects only BiPAP users. I also like the way Encore can print a single page showing the average AHI, CAI, OAI, and HI. SleepyHead could probably do the same thing, though.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick SleepyHead. I wouldn't want to be without SleepyHead, but I could easily get by without Encore.

(08-04-2013, 02:01 PM)courtney123 Wrote: Sleepster said it better.
He's right. Grab SleepyHead.

Thanks all. I have just downloaded and installed SleepyHead, and have been playing with it for a couple of hours.

Based on the number of questions I'm accumulating, you guys may be sorry you recommended it!

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2013, 03:07 PM)old dude Wrote: Based on the number of questions I'm accumulating, you guys may be sorry you recommended it!

Drat! We just hate it when someone tries to educate themselves about their CPAP therapy. Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 102 4 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 626 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,371 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 752 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  RESMED S9 Smart Stop does not work Taxifahrt 20 13,322 05-14-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Patt1
  High AHI, Extreme Fatigue, Cannot get CPAP or BiPap to work exchanged 2 600 04-28-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: exchanged
  [Diagnosis] Can Cpap "work" but still be useless in treating symptoms? tom41 13 1,086 04-25-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.