Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Would you Modify Your Equipment, even if it was DANGEROUS!
This poll is closed.
YES: I have/do
25.00%
8 25.00%
NO: Never
40.63%
13 40.63%
In The past but not now
3.13%
1 3.13%
Would consider
28.13%
9 28.13%
Dont Know
3.13%
1 3.13%
Dont Care
0%
0 0%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Would You Modify Your Equipment, If You Heard It Worked?
RE: Would You Modify Your Equipment, If You Heard It Worked?
I think most folks wouldn't modify a CPAP if they KNEW it was dangerous, however the real problem is when people don't understand what is and isn't dangerous. Take the example of the guy who buys his first sailboat and wants to practice rigging the mast while the boat is safely secured to the trailer parked in his driveway. Sadly the would be sailor soon discovers that the aluminum mast and the power line to his home create a fatal electrocution hazard.

As for a CPAP I'm not going to define dangerous here because that seems to be a prickly topic, but keep in mind what you don't know can indeed hurt you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 07:25 AM)DCwom Wrote: I think most folks wouldn't modify a CPAP if they KNEW it was dangerous, however the real problem is when people don't understand what is and isn't dangerous. Take the example of the guy who buys his first sailboat and wants to practice rigging the mast while the boat is safely secured to the trailer parked in his driveway. Sadly the would be sailor soon discovers that the aluminum mast and the power line to his home create a fatal electrocution hazard.

As for a CPAP I'm not going to define dangerous here because that seems to be a prickly topic, but keep in mind what you don't know can indeed hurt you.

Taping your mouth is like driving while blind, you do it at your own risk just dont ask me to join in. IMO taping is bordering on insanity, I understand the reason but surely there must be safer methods to acheive the same result, arnt there?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would certainly change what didn't work- I just changed from AUTO to ASV. But otherwise why mess with success, unless for an upgrade in machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
There is something wrong with this poll, in that the subject says "If it worked", but the poll item itself says "Even if it were dangerous". This is misleading. I answered assuming the former. I wish there were a way to re-vote.

Anyhow, I would consider anything on its merits, but I would be extremely conservative if danger were involved.

I don't even want to disassemble my S9 Autoset to investigate the possibility of re-flashing the firmware because I could not bear having to sleep without it before I find some other way to eliminate sleep apnea, which I am working on.
My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2012, 12:21 AM)Netskier Wrote: There is something wrong with this poll, in that the subject says "If it worked", but the poll item itself says "Even if it were dangerous". This is misleading. I answered assuming the former. I wish there were a way to re-vote.

Anyhow, I would consider anything on its merits, but I would be extremely conservative if danger were involved.

I don't even want to disassemble my S9 Autoset to investigate the possibility of re-flashing the firmware because I could not bear having to sleep without it before I find some other way to eliminate sleep apnea, which I am working on.

Worked or didnt work would you still put your life at risk to lower your AHI or try to achieve more comfort?

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a reason for the Darwin Awards, I hope that no one here is volunteering for a nomination.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't had any trouble with the mod I made to deal with rainout.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
The more times I look at this thread the more I'm confused about what the question actually is.

Ar you asking that if I heard a certain modification worked (and the only things I can think of are in set up- changing rise time, flex, pressure support or something) would I make the change on my machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 08:18 AM)zimlich Wrote: The more times I look at this thread the more I'm confused about what the question actually is.

Ar you asking that if I heard a certain modification worked (and the only things I can think of are in set up- changing rise time, flex, pressure support or something) would I make the change on my machine?

excellent question.

personally, i took it literally to mean phyisically modifying the eqipment and it's intended use, the hose, the mask, the humidifier, the cpap or anything that blocks or alters the airflow. i did not take it to mean modifying the settings of anything. i did not take it to mean adding things like bandaids or cushions or hose hangers that don't affect the operation of the equipment.

but that's just me. everybody reads things differently.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Mods are ok, as long as they are known to be harmless.
I have some standard hardware parts to help route my hose better. Common sense and science need to prevail here.

No stupid stuff for me, ok?

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 605 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 552 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  What to do with "old" equipment? Paul Van Benschoten 10 939 06-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.