Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Would an overnight video help to understand mask leakage?
RE: Would an overnight video help to understand mask leakage?
(05-19-2015, 08:51 PM)justMongo Wrote: Most digital cameras see near infrared. Just grab your digital camera and look at one of your IR remote controls.
The camera can see the IR light that the human eye cannot.

O.P said "camcorder". I thought those were extinct, but there appears to be a rare sighting in this thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Canon Vixia isn't the latest engineering marvel. It was good enough to make a film of my trip with my 78 year old Dad through Europe, back at the turn of the century. And to get the photo that's my "avatar" in Kashgar.

Not an engineer. Just an old lady trying to improve her quality of sleep.

According to another thread, though, apparently I'm fast approaching my use-by date, so why buy another camera.

Ohwell
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 09:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 08:51 PM)justMongo Wrote: Most digital cameras see near infrared. Just grab your digital camera and look at one of your IR remote controls.
The camera can see the IR light that the human eye cannot.

O.P said "camcorder". I thought those were extinct, but there appears to be a rare sighting in this thread.

Naw.
I recently used a (rented) Canon XA10 HD with a shotgun mic to record a friends gig at the Music on the Beach show in Tampa. Camera so good it made me look like I knew what I was doing! DW wouldn't let me keep it crygreen If/when I get the mouth-leak fixed and if that doesn't cure all my problems I'll use my ancient iSpy XP box to record me and see if that helps.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 08:16 PM)AirSign Wrote: I have been using the P10 mostly because it doesn't blow a lot of air which annoys my eyes. But I still get leaks, even with a wide firm chin strap.

Also the most interesting leaks seem to correlate with increased respiration rate, so maybe it's REM, but filming it would help to show that. If it's REM, I wouldn't be moving, correct? Because my muscles would be paralyzed during REM dreaming?...
I think that logic is sound, but I don't think leakage would have much to do with respiration rate or sleep stage.

A leak is a leak. The system is either closed (no leak) or open (has a leak). How fast you are breathing is not a part of the equation. If you are sure your mouth is closed, which a chin strap seems to ensure, it is likely because the mask is not fitting properly or you are scrunching your face against the pillow or something (video would confirm, I guess). Also, masks start to leak more after about 90 days.

Hearing hoofbeats? Expect horses, not zebras. Occam's razor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Respiration rate? Sleep stage?
Not my concern.

Movement that pulls the overhead machine hose, a heavier one than my previous machine, to dislodge the nasal pillows by tugging on the hose attached to the mask. That's what I suspect now. So, have invested in some hose clips and that seems to be helping.
The purpose of the video was to capture whether something like that was happening -- did I move around and cause extra pull on the mask from the heated/humidified hose of the machine.
To see what my movements are like when I'm not awake. Only reason sleep stage might be relevant is that during REM sleep we're more likely to not move much as the muscles are somewhat paralyzed. Unless one is a sleepwalker. I've not done that for a significant number of decades, so far as I know.
Since using the hose clip to fix the hose of the mask firmly to the headgear, my leak rate has been much better, and my AHI has finally begun to decrease below 5 most nights. Even lower AHI during daytime naps.

Occam must have been a really boring dude.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 103 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 112 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 143 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 123 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 326 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 299 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 1,065 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.