Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does CPAP record apenas with open mouth?
Does CPAP record apenas with open mouth?
I haven't seen this discussed before, but occasionally I breath with my mouth when I sleep (I use nasal pillows). My API doesn't seem to be affected by this so I wonder how/if a CPAP records this as an event? Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does CPAP record apenas with open mouth?
Its not straight forward as it seem bc obstructive apnea to do with closed airways and central apnea with open airways. If therapy air escaping as the mouth open it would lower the therapeutic pressure needed to prevent the airways from closing.
A chinstrap can help in this case.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you aren't having an obstructive event, it shouldn't matter whether your mouth is open or not. It will affect your leak rate, but not the AHI.

If you are having obstructive events and your mouth is open, the machine, because of the leak out of your mouth, may have trouble delivering the needed pressure to overcome that obstructive event. When it can't deliver the needed pressure, it will record an obstructive event and raise your AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 02:51 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: If you are having obstructive events and your mouth is open, the machine, because of the leak out of your mouth, may have trouble delivering the needed pressure to overcome that obstructive event. When it can't deliver the needed pressure, it will record an obstructive event and raise your AHI.

If you're having an obstructive event, and the machine records it as such, the machine is getting the data it needs to report an accurate AHI.

I would be suspicious, though, because I don't see how the machine can record an obstructive event when you're mouth-leaking.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 01:48 PM)DCwom Wrote: I haven't seen this discussed before, but occasionally I breath with my mouth when I sleep (I use nasal pillows). My API doesn't seem to be affected by this so I wonder how/if a CPAP records this as an event? Any ideas?

You could be experiencing apneas and hypopneas while mouth-breathing or mouth-leaking and the machine is unable to record them. Therefore they wouldn't raise the AHI reported by the machine.

The issue, though, is that if you're mouth-breathing while wearing a nasal mask, your airway is not presurized by the CPAP machine, so it's as if you have no CPAP machine!

If a chinstrap won't prevent you from mouth-breathing then you'll need to go to a full face mask. If I were you, I'd discuss these issues with my doctor or equipment provider. They can supply you with the chinstrap or a different mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 797 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.