Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Would love some feedback on OSCAR data
RE: Would love some feedback on OSCAR data
The only thing I see is looking at the Obstructive chart is that you have  some clusters of events.  Those are most likely positional.  Usually "chin tucking", dropping your head to your chest and cutting off your airway.  It can be because you get in a bad position - maybe on your back.  No increase in pressure can help this - it takes you to make sure you don't get into that position.  You may need to change pillows or if you can't control it use a collar (link at the bottom  of the  page. I know you have already look  into that.   But that's about all I have - you do not have a lot of them and I don't see pressure changes are going to help much.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the collar for 3 weeks, I followed the guide and believe it is properly fitted. Is there anything I could be missing, or anything else I can do to stop this happening?
The one I am using is most similar to the Corflex, but bought from my local chemist. Is there maybe one that is more suited to me?
Post Reply Post Reply
Would it be a bad idea to try sleeping without a pillow at all? I am currently using a memory foam pillow but I guess it is quite high/firm

I have ordered a few more different kinds of collars to try, hoping they'll make a difference

If all else fails I guess I could buy some foam and cut it to my size
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you measured the distance between your chin and sternum, that is the height of the collar you should have. As far as a pillow - side sleeper it should be the approximate size is the shoulder to neck. On your back sleeping position would be much less - a thin pillow. I know I would have a hard time without a pillow.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin to sternum, measured from a neutral position while standing is 11.5cm
Jaw to collarbone vertically is 9.5cm

Collar I am using currently is ~8cm in height for 95% of it, tapering off at the back near the velcro strap, 3cm thick at the thickest point which goes under the chin, and 48cm diameter.

Previous collar has 10.5cm height in the middle, 9.5cm at the jawline, 2.5cm thickness uniformly and 52cm diameter

The problem with the previous collar is it would go over my jaw under my ears which meant I could/would tuck my chin inside it with no resistance
Post Reply Post Reply
I went back to the old collar last night, it does feel better under the chin but the problem persisted of it going over my jaw towards the ear and bending my ear lobes forward, I might try to alter it a bit tomorrow.

Also tried no pillow at all and couldn't get to sleep so that experiment was a failure, i'll look into lower profile pillows possibly this weekend.

If anyone else has any ideas i'm more than happy to hear and try them.

Thanks,

Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
Long time no see AB, sorry if its annoying to bump an old post.

Just thought i'd post an update and see if i'm on track or if there's anything I should be changing. In short i've now been on CPAP therapy for over 3 years and yet to miss a night which should be great for my health (I hope), but on the flip side i'm still tired on waking, still fat and still depressed with a poor sleep schedule so they probably contribute significantly...

I stopped seeing my sleep physician because I wasn't really seeing the need anymore, she wasn't on board with the data driven decision making regarding my therapy and wasn't really contributing much for the absurd amount I was paying for it Too-funny

I've been putting off an in-hospital sleep study for probably years now, I know I really need to get it done but I don't believe it will be very representative of my normal sleeping process. Not looking for convincing or sympathy, just speaking my mind.

If there's anything the OSCAR data indicates should be changed please let me know. And thankyou for all you do in helping the people out there like myself to be healthy!

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome back kewlpewl.  I see a few things in your new charts.  Overall, it looks pretty good.  1.  Leaks.  Here are some tips to help combat leaks   Mask Primer

2.  The high pressure you are getting is most likely the a major cause of the leaks.  If the tips from the "Mask Primer" can't fix the problem, possibly getting and wearing a soft cervical collar may allow you to decrease that pressure a little bit (and avoid some leaks).  

3.  Your 95% median flow limitations look very good at 0.01   Keep up the good work here.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Results are very good and you have continued to control the chin-tucking / positional issues. There is some evidence of obstructive clusters where snores and flow limits spike, but you seem to have resolved the bigger problems. I think that the clusters will continue to be a challenge, and you need to be aware the collars do eventually wear out and need renewed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2023, 10:54 AM)Jay51 Wrote: Welcome back kewlpewl.  I see a few things in your new charts.  Overall, it looks pretty good.  1.  Leaks.  Here are some tips to help combat leaks   Mask Primer

2.  The high pressure you are getting is most likely the a major cause of the leaks.  If the tips from the "Mask Primer" can't fix the problem, possibly getting and wearing a soft cervical collar may allow you to decrease that pressure a little bit (and avoid some leaks).  

3.  Your 95% median flow limitations look very good at 0.01   Keep up the good work here.
I've been having problems in the past month or so with pressure sores on the outside of my nostrils, they're not painful or anything just incredibly ugly. I've been trying to heed the advice of the forum by adjusting the fit of my mask to be as loose as possible having it just sit on there rather than be pressed tight up against my nose, but since doing so i've noticed waking up every now and then to a waft of air hitting my face indicating i've lost the seal. I'm not quite sure what to do, i've tried applying lanolin during the day but it doesn't seem to fix the issue Sad

(10-22-2023, 10:56 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Results are very good and you have continued to control the chin-tucking / positional issues. There is some evidence of obstructive clusters where snores and flow limits spike, but you seem to have resolved the bigger problems. I think that the clusters will continue to be a challenge, and you need to be aware the collars do eventually wear out and need renewed.
re: chin tucking. I gave up on the cervical collars not long after my original post about it due to just not being able to get it to work. I've dug out the releaf caldera collar out of my wardrobe but it doesn't fit diameter wise, not sure if it ever did as I remember using a softer one from a chemist(drugstore?) but giving up because I was still tucking underneath it despite however I could get it to fit. Will reinvestigate.

Thankyou both for your insight
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 49 7 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 238 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.