Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Would you buy non data capable CPAP machine?
This poll is closed.
Yes
12.50%
3 12.50%
No
87.50%
21 87.50%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Would you buy non data capable CPAP machine?
RE: Would you buy non data capable CPAP machine?
(03-15-2012, 04:32 PM)Steven Wrote:
(03-15-2012, 04:26 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-15-2012, 04:21 PM)USMC1968 Wrote: "And to add insult to injury they find a way to turn data capabilities reporting off on data capable machines. "

Can/do they really do that... Can I turn it back on, if that happens?
Yes you can change it in the clinical menu
Sleep quality ON not usage

What S9 are you using?

Either you or I gave the wrong answer.
But, this time, I did beat you to an answer.

I think he was referring to ResMed turning an AutoSet into an Excape by merely changing the firmware in the machine.
I don,t have a telepathic power, mind or coffee cup reader just the way understood the question.
Apology-2

Post Reply Post Reply
I supposed some creative "hacker" could figure out how to flash the firmware in these S9 and PR System One one low-end machines to make them into fully data-capable CPAPs... technically it is possible.

But Jiminy Cricket, even if that capability were out there... who would want to risk turning their $800-$1000 CPAP machine into a cold, dead brick if something went wrong? I've done stuff like that with throw-away computers that were worth less than $100, but when it comes to my life-giving CPAP? No way, Jose. Grin

I'm somewhat of a computer geek to a degree, and I wouldn't want to risk something like that.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 05:28 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I supposed some creative "hacker" could figure out how to flash the firmware in these S9 and PR System One one low-end machines to make them into fully data-capable CPAPs... technically it is possible.

But Jiminy Cricket, even if that capability were out there... who would want to risk turning their $800-$1000 CPAP machine into a cold, dead brick if something went wrong? I've done stuff like that with throw-away computers that were worth less than $100, but when it comes to my life-giving CPAP? No way, Jose. Grin

I'm somewhat of a computer geek to a degree, and I wouldn't want to risk something like that.

Yeah, theoretically "Scottie" could beam me over to his house for some adult beverages.

But, until I see it done, it can't be done!

Instead of exchanging my new S9 AutoSet to one that had a more current software version in it, ResMed suggested that the DME send my initial S9 to them to upgrade it. To do that, even ResMed would have had to put in a totally different card. Even they could not just "flash" their own machine just for the software update. Anyone trying to change an Escape into an AutoSet would have to get their hands on the appropriate card.

I opted for them to just give me another machine that already had the more current software in it.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
When bought my S9 in Nov 2010 ResMed were offering upgrade S8 Elite to AutoSet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 06:46 PM)Steven Wrote: Instead of exchanging my new S9 AutoSet to one that had a more current software version in it, ResMed suggested that the DME send my initial S9 to them to upgrade it. To do that, even ResMed would have had to put in a totally different card. Even they could not just "flash" their own machine just for the software update. Anyone trying to change an Escape into an AutoSet would have to get their hands on the appropriate card.

What Resmed told you might be true, but I doubt it. Manufacturers typically reduce costs by building a single card, or CPU, and just turn off features for the lower priced models. Yet Resmed told you that they would need to install a totally different card, presumably by card they meant circuit board. Having different circuit boards for different models would increase their costs, so I don't believe they do this. More likely, they told you a cover story which is designed to make you believe that they can not simply re-flash the firmware. This cover story will tend to discourage exploration of the machine, and hence the discovery of how to reflash the firmware.
My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 02:03 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I'm pretty sure it's all in the firmware and not in the hardware, and all it takes is a re-flashing of the CPAP firmware to "upgrade" the machine to being data-capable.

It's hard for me to believe they'd have the flow meter and the associated circuit board to process the signals.

Quote:That's probably one of the reasons that they don't give end-users the ability to upgrade their firmware when a new version comes out - it would make it way too easy to hack a machine and make it into a fully data-capable one.

This is an interesting proposal! Does anyone out there have the capability of hacking into these machines and altering their firmware?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just remembered. One time my doc prescribed the ridiculous pressure of 30 IPAP. There (he likes ResMed) was only one machine that reached that pressure. It was equipped with all kind of alarms, but didn't give AI or AHI data. It reported them as 0.0, not as "no data". Useless for determining effectiveness. Besides that I couldn't tolerate that presssure, or rather my mask couldn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 01:51 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: When I got my S9 Escape, I stupidly did not research it first. I was not aware machines had become so data capable and semi-affordable. I also did not realize that one version of the same machine would be and another would not. Seems very stupid and wasteful. The price difference is not that much.

I keep trying to save up to buy one out of pocket but stuff keeps coming up.

I didn't answer the poll because the one I have isn't data capable and no, I would not buy one that was not, now that I know.

My story is a lot like yours. The day I finally went to the doc to ask for a sleep study because I was so desperate for answers for my tiredness, she called the clinic herself and got me in that same night. How many persons like me just want an answer to their terrible problem and just head for help immediately, too tired to even think about "research"? Then I got the brick CPAP, not knowing anything, and the center charged my insurance company way more for what I got the Auto Series 60 for--no lie. There are faults everywhere--obviously the doc does not "specialize" in apnea or she would have told me more, and why do insurance companies overpay for an item that can be bought much cheaper, or at least demand the patient be given a much-better machine since insurance companies pay the same for both? Being given the brick has led to months of turmoil for me since receiving it (trying to find the right machine and mode) and has been way more costly, having to buy it myself. This issue definitely needs to be addressed by insurance companies and others.
Post Reply Post Reply
I put yes....though it would have to have a feature that makes it special enough to consider overlooking data.

Namely, I once considered getting the Everest 3.

The Dreamer
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to pay an extra $100 for my data-capable Remstar Pro. One reason I paid the extra $100 was because that was the only machine the DME had with him that day.

I'm sure glad I did it because I've sent the data to my doctor twice now, and each time he recommended and prescribed a pressure change that lowered my AHI.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,251 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 152 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 223 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 232 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 150 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 186 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.