Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Would you buy non data capable CPAP machine?
This poll is closed.
Yes
12.50%
3 12.50%
No
87.50%
21 87.50%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Would you buy non data capable CPAP machine?
RE: Would you buy non data capable CPAP machine?
I originally got a Pro, because the doctor had prescribed a data capable machine ... saying that he wanted to be able to review data.

But, he never has never requested more than just summary data from my DME, and then I hand him detailed reports that I've generated, he just skips to the last page.

And, just assumes the missing days are because I didn't use it...not because the DME had my card. Or using the machine in my go bag.....

I still generate full reports myself for him....though I'm thinking I might not now. Since, the copy fees to get my records from my doctor into my online health record is high (>$1 per page)...and paying to get him to send me copies of the CPAP reports I gave me is ridiculous....since he doesn't pay any attention to them.

He thinks the all the leak reported on the graph is bad.....doesn't seem to know that its supposed to leak. Though I thought it was an interesting graph...it shows a sharp drop one night...and I slept pretty darn good that night. Or that its gradually been increasing the last couple of weeks (keep forgetting to get new pillows.)

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
Back in the days of the Resmed S7s there was a module, the S7 ResLink, that could provide a little more data, had an oximeter attachment that could be added to the ResLink AND thru the ResLink the lower level models could be upgraded to a more sophisticated model - but they had quite a bit of trouble w/the upgrading of the firmware and when they came out w/the S8s, the S8 ResLink no longer had that upgrading option.

Thru the S7s, S8s and even the S9s, Resmed has been the leader and excelled in the ease of access to and amount of data available via the LCD screen. The ResScan software is easier to use and understand and more versatile than PRs EncorePro and doesn't have the limitations of EncoreViewer.
Post Reply Post Reply
After 4 years, I am completely ignorant of "data" capabilities, if any, of my RemStar Plus M-series. I know nothing of what "data" I ought to be interested in and do not know how I would obtain it or evaluate it as none of my doctors have ever looked at it. I find it interesting that others on this forum seem to know something about their own "data".
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2012, 02:34 PM)Fosco Wrote: After 4 years, I am completely ignorant of "data" capabilities, if any, of my RemStar Plus M-series. I know nothing of what "data" I ought to be interested in and do not know how I would obtain it or evaluate it as none of my doctors have ever looked at it. I find it interesting that others on this forum seem to know something about their own "data".

you have a year to get well versed in what you want and how to tell your doc. most insurance companies will replace your machine every 5 years. read,read, read and ask, ask, ask.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2012, 02:34 PM)Fosco Wrote: After 4 years, I am completely ignorant of "data" capabilities, if any, of my RemStar Plus M-series. I know nothing of what "data" I ought to be interested in and do not know how I would obtain it or evaluate it as none of my doctors have ever looked at it. I find it interesting that others on this forum seem to know something about their own "data".
Welcome to apneaboard, Fosco. I take it that after 4 years on CPAP you are encountering some problems again that brought you to search for and find "us". GOOD ON YOU. An informed patient is in a much better position to get good medical care. No one has a more vested interest in your health than you do. And you are the only one to endure the benefits - or consequences - of any test, procedure or therapy you elect to try.

That being said: the first and most important thing is how you FEEL in the morning when you wake and only you can determine that. The data that some CPAPs are able to report can provide some effective clues as to what is going "wrong" if you aren't feeling rested when you wake in the morning.

That data would include your AI (apnea index, i.e. how many apneas you encounter per hour of sleep), your AHI (apnea/hypopnea index, i.e. how many apneas and hypopneas you encounter per hour of sleep and your Leak rate, i.e. if you are leaking excessive therapy pressure thru your mouth or insufficient mask seal.

Most all CPAPs provide "compliance" data, i.e. how many hours per night you are using your CPAP and how many nights you are using your CPAP. Mostly this compliance data's only value is for your local DME provider to have on hand to provide to your insurance as proof that you are using your CPAP enough to make it worthwhile for your insurance to pay for it. Once your CPAP has been paid in full most providers have no further interest in your compliance data.

Your RemStar Plus is NOT capable of providing any more than compliance data. No RemStar CPAP w/Plus in the model name is capable of providing anthing more than compliance data - which is of no real use to you. Respironics is the manufacturer, they use RemStar as part of all their model names. Respironics has been purchased by Philips and now is know as Philips Respironics and we usually refer to them now as PR as it is shorter. PR is the leading manufacturer of CPAPs in the USA.

The second leading manufacturer is Resmed. Between them, Resmed and PR provide about 80% of all CPAP sales in the USA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,078 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 149 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 218 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 226 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 104 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 146 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 180 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.