Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Would you go FFM or Nasal Pillow Mask?
Would you go FFM or Nasal Pillow Mask?
Here's my dilemma, on my F20 AirTouch mask, I get low leaks on a good day (8%) but bad leaks on bad days (+100%). On my P10 nasal pillow mask, I get between 23%-32% leak rates. I much prefer the P10 over F20 but data shows that if I wear the F20 properly or don't knock it about during sleep, I will get less leaks. Leak graph clearly shows this. You can see my tidal volume is much higher on FFM.

https://imgur.com/a/xj9FL

I will get less a dry mouth problem on my F20. 2 Xylimelts will do the trick. With the P10, I probably need to pop 4. 

Which really forces my to stay with the F20 until I can master the roof tongue trick. Not sure if that day will come...... meanwhile I have 3 nasal pillow masks (P10, Dreamwear & Nuance Pro) in my drawer waiting for that day.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Would you go FFM or Nasal Pillow Mask?
Are you using a Cervical Collar while using the P10?  If not you might want to try one.  Costs $10 and it's help me.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes Walla Walla, I am using one... it improves my AHI but not dry mouth which is due to mainly mouth breathing. Tried tape and chin strap too... didn't work though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well in that case I have no answer. I hate the F20. I tried it as the Airfit and Airtouch. Both either leaked on me or I had to tighten it so hard my head hurt. I'd stick with the P10 which is actually what I'm using. Just saying .
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just an FYI: Xylimelts contain xylitol which is deadly to dogs. Usually the amount a dog can ingest "safely" depends on size of the dog. Not with this stuff. And it does not take much, even for big dogs. If you have a dog at home, put the product well out of their reach.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
My experiences with FFMs mirror Walla Walla's. After much experimentation I finally settled on using a combination of a soft cervical collar and a Ruby style chin strap for mouth leaks along with Biotene gel for dry mouth with my P10. The chinstrap/ cervical collar combo give me lower leak levels than either provide by themselves. On a good night I have virtually no unintentional leaks. On a bad night my unintentional leaks may be up around 35 cm for short periods, which is still half of the level my DreamStation begins reporting large leaks. I find that even with the extra stuff I have to use at night in order to use the P10, it is still far better than the results I have with FFMs

Thanks for the info, Paula. I have been considering trying Xylimelts. I will keep that in mind. I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt our fur buddy.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2017, 11:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Just an FYI: Xylimelts contain xylitol which is deadly to dogs. Usually the amount a dog can ingest "safely" depends on size of the dog. Not with this stuff. And it does not take much, even for big dogs. If you have a dog at home, put the product well out of their reach.
Thanks for the info Paula, good thing I don't have any more dogs at home.

(09-02-2017, 09:53 AM)pupcamper Wrote: My experiences with FFMs mirror Walla Walla's. After much experimentation I finally settled on using a combination of a soft cervical collar and a Ruby style chin strap for mouth leaks along with Biotene gel for dry mouth with my P10. The chinstrap/ cervical collar combo give me lower leak levels than either provide by themselves. On a good night I have virtually no unintentional leaks. On a bad night my unintentional leaks may be up around 35 cm for short periods, which is still half of the level my DreamStation begins reporting large leaks. I find that even with the extra stuff I have to use at night in order to use the P10, it is still far better than the results I have with FFMs

Thanks for the info, Paula. I have been considering trying Xylimelts. I will keep that in mind. I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt our fur buddy.
Tried all that u mentioned. 3 types of chin straps too. Even went as far as to try out an adult pacifier. But it was too big and got into the way of the P10... couldn't close my mouth shut all the way without leaks and it was just too uncomfortable. 

Now I just use a cervical collar with the F20, it's my least favorite out of the 4 masks I own but I have to settle with it for now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 251 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 982 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,162 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,722 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 234 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 433 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 326 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.