Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Write Protect SD Card
Write Protect SD Card
I'm trying to use Sleepyhead for the first time and there is a strong warning to "Write Protect" the SD card before inserting them into the computer. I've googled what that means and checked the instructions on this board where it says to "lock" the SD card and I'm even more confused than before. How do I do that? It's probably simple.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Write Protect SD Card
On the left front side of the SD card will be a little tab. It can slide to the front for "Unlock" (Write Enable) and to the rear to "Lock" (Write Protect) the data. SleepyHead does not write anything to the SD card. However Windows 7 and higher will want to write system volume information to the card if not write protected or you don't have this feature turned off on your computer. The Resmed S9 absolutely did not like having this information stored on the SD card. As far as I know, all newer machines don't care if it is there.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Never mind. I found out. Duh. that was easy.

Now I would delete this post but I can' t figure that out either. I feel like such a dork... Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
First, the warning to lock the card was based on a problem that Windows and Mac computers often write index files to a SD card. This was mainly a problem with Resmed S9 machines. It has never been a problem with Philips Respironics machines. You can safely ignore the advice to lock the card.

Not all SD cards have a write lock switch. If it is present it looks like this:

[Image: SD_memory-lock.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you thank you! You guys are so fast, that' s awesome. I think i'll still lock it, as I have Win10, it has caused me quite a bit of grief, so I don't trust it too much.
Post Reply Post Reply
And AFAIK, you can ignore it on any Windows7 machine that is up to date. I never lock it.. never have an issue on my Resmed S9 Auto since MS corrected that in an update long ago.. AFAIK, that issue is no longer valid for any Windows computer since I run Win7, Win8 and Win10 and I don't get the SVI file, or any other file, written to the SD card. I think MS got the message and quit writing that useless file to external drives with FAT or FAT32 file systems. Trust but verify.. YMMV. Wink

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't bother locking it. I have the predecessor to the Dreamstation and have no problems. In fact, if I forget to put the card into the machine and have to do it after a nights sleep, the Philips system writes all the data straight to my card which SH then reads. The S9 wouldn't do that. The Win 7-10 problem appears to only affect the S9.
Post Reply Post Reply
It takes less than a second to lock the card - time well spent in my view. You never know what strange glitch feature is likely to turn up unannounced in a Windows update package.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 43 Yesterday, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion
  Oscar cannot read SD card and SD card cannot be read by PC BlueSky1958 1 629 08-21-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar cannot read card - card cannot be read by PC BlueSky1958 3 537 08-21-2023, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S9; Invalid SD Card after importing (SD write protected) GreenScrew 8 1,035 03-20-2023, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is it necessary to turn on the write protect switch on the sd card before importing? Determinism 1 616 06-29-2022, 12:20 AM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Write Protect SD Card??? Snorzz 13 3,110 01-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
Angry EncoreBasic SD card problem [non-PR card?] medinamike 5 2,324 10-08-2017, 12:04 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.