Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Years later and still in the dark
RE: Years later and still in the dark
(11-30-2015, 07:56 PM)RandMan Wrote: What do people typically post for data? The last week's worth of info? The last month? Just the night before?

An average, recent night would be good. If last night was similar to other nights, that should be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2015, 12:14 PM)OpalRose Wrote: With your current setting of 12-20, what are your AHI numbers? There is nothing wrong with your pressure range, but should be set according to your 90% and medium numbers. If you know those figures, let us know.

How do these figures factor into the setting of the APAP range?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 10:53 AM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote:
(11-30-2015, 12:14 PM)OpalRose Wrote: With your current setting of 12-20, what are your AHI numbers? There is nothing wrong with your pressure range, but should be set according to your 90% and medium numbers. If you know those figures, let us know.

How do these figures factor into the setting of the APAP range?

Example: if 90% pressure reads 14, a good starting pressure would be slightly under that, mabye at 12 or 13. You haven't been at this for too long, so just watch those numbers for a few weeks and see where they tend to be.

Note: the 90% pressure means that you were at or below that number for 90% of the night.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So you suggest basing the minimum pressure about 2cm below the 95% figure? How does the median pressure factor in? Shouldn't that be the figure to base the minimum on?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 11:44 AM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote: So you suggest basing the minimum pressure about 2cm below the 95% figure? How does the median pressure factor in? Shouldn't that be the figure to base the minimum on?

Sometimes you find that the medium pressure is only a couple cm below the 90% pressure.

My 90% pressure usually stays around 11, so I set mine at 9.5.
Also, after watching my pressure needs for a year now, I keep a tight pressure range, because my APAP will raise pressure due to Flow Limitations or snores, and no
apnea events show on my chart in relation to those FL or snores. Also, the higher pressure will usually wake me up.

But it took me a year to zero in on this. That's why we suggest not making a lot of changes without giving it time to see what works best for you. Study your graphs to see what is going on.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some who need wider ranges than others... some are bothered by pressure shifts and should have very narrow range, but others need fairly disparate pressures based on position or sleep phase. I am one of those, and my 95% rate runs around 12, the median ~ 10... but the low end is much much better at 8 than at 9. I tried 9 for a month to make sure. YMMV.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 12:58 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I am one of those, and my 95% rate runs around 12, the median ~ 10... but the low end is much much better at 8 than at 9. I tried 9 for a month to make sure. YMMV.

What metric was better at 8 vs 9? AHI? Awakenings? Quality of sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 02:13 PM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote: What metric was better at 8 vs 9? AHI? Awakenings? Quality of sleep?

Quality of sleep or actually more accurately, more refreshing sleep. My treated AHI is always low. I ran the machine on a straight 7 for a single night to see, and AHI was still low but I felt like shoe scrape!

Improving sleep quality for me, at this point, seems to hinge on pain control - which is hard.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
So in your case a too-high minimum pressure wasn't doing anything funny on SleepyHead, and it wasn't necessarily preventing you from falling asleep, BUT it made your sleep less refreshing. That kind of info is gold, thanks!

(And yes, I'm being mindful about not changing settings daily knowing that I can have a variety of experiences night-to-night.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2015, 07:56 PM)RandMan Wrote: What do people typically post for data? The last week's worth of info? The last month? Just the night before?

Randman, follow this link to a tutorial on how to post useful CPAP data. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board The most useful graphics are daily graphs of Events, Flow Rate, Pressure and Leak Rate. On the left side, collapse the calendar so the machine data and setting are visible, the AHI and event breakdown. Like this:

[Image: RqiXlhHl.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,021 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 681 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 543 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 348 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.