Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Yet Another Newbie Question
RE: Yet Another Newbie Question
Excellent input from all. Wish I had found this forum 2 years ago.

My insurance is VA (USA) & I can assure you they will not help w. a CPAP. I got the one I have now when I was on Medicaid a couple of years back (long story).

In sum, I would have to purchase a new CPAP out of pocket & would not even know how or where to begin. I am just now starting to read on here nightly, but sooo much info. to absorb.

I intend to make an appointment w. my sleep clinic soon to discuss all of this further & post the info. they give me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, another quick question: almost every night I pull off my mask about an hour before I get up due to extreme dry mouth & throat. I have had this problem since day 1 of having my CPAP. Is there any way to safely correct this, or is this just an inherent issue w. the machines?

Thank you again for all of your input. I will try not to overload w. too many questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Taking your second question first... Dry mouth and throat are usually caused by insufficient humidity and/or breathing through the mouth. So you need to know a) that you have a humidifier attached to your machine (I expect they come standard on a Dreamstation) b) what your humidity settings are, and c) are you mouth-breathing? Mouth-breathing shows up in the leaks graph on #SleepyHead, but I don't know about Encore Viewer. Let's have some fuller details about your machine and settings, and you should also download and install #SleepyHead. Lots of details about it here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Now your first question - you already have a Dreamstation which is a pretty good machine (depending on the particular model). Why are you thinking of replacing it? Is it not doing the job, causing discomfort or something else? Again, let's have some details and we can provide some better targeted advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Homeskillet,
You can try to adjust your humidity level to see if that helps, but dry mouth is usually an indication of mouth breathing.  Try using a “soft” cervical collar, or even a small neck cushion to tuck under your chin.  This will help to keep your jaw from dropping open at night.

Could you clarify which DreamStation you have?  Is it the DreamStation Auto, Pro or Cpap?

If you are considering a new machine, here is a link that will help you distinguish between the different models and brands available.  It would be in your best interest to purchase a data capable auto Cpap.

If insurance is not available, there are other ways to find a good slightly used machine.
Try Supplier #2.  You will need a copy of your prescription.  

Here is a link that will explain the many different cpaps and which ones to avoid.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thank you for the advice. Let me dig out the specs on my CPAP & I will post more info. on the machine. I don't know all of the details off the top of my head, but I can tell after reading on here that I need to step up my game on this issue. Wow - I never dreamed (no pun intended!) that there was so much to the apnea issue.

Thank you again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Wow - I never dreamed (no pun intended!) that there was so much to the apnea issue.

It's like many things in life - the more effort you put in, the better the results. Many people get issued a machine, use it and never delve any deeper into the technicalities. Sadly over 50% drop out because they find things too hard and the machine doesn't do its job. That where forums like this come in - we have the time and patience to work through the problems in a lot greater detail than a doctor whose day is measured in six minute sessions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 441 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 237 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 333 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.