Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Yet another BAMBOOZLED sucker - I got a brick, now what?
RE: Yet another BAMBOOZLED sucker - I got a brick, now what?
Thanks, Opal and Bonjour. By the way, I finally obtained a copy of my sleep study report and Rx. I've put it in dropbox (linked above) - personal info redacted. I wanted to see if the Rx mentioned anything about data-capable. It's not mentioned on the order form anywhere - not requested by the doctor (neither the sleep doc who made the recommendation, nor my ENT who ordered the machine). That tells me the choice of model was totally up to the DME. So yeah, because they weren't instructed to order the data-capable machine, they didn't pick that one - $$$$. Also, curiously, the order form says the CPAP is a rental - implying that I don't own it. I have an email in to my DME to clarify that.
Post Reply Post Reply
To me, going by the form, the DME asterixed the cpap line and other areas they wanted the doctor to fill in. I think your doctor blindly followed their lead. The good news is, as you saw, that you are a monthly rent.
Hopefully your email will clarify how it works and your out of pocket costs, or someone here can advise, I would be returning it ASAP.
Worst case, you buy your own auto for 4-500$ off amazon
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2017, 03:53 PM)ajack Wrote: To me, going by the form, the DME asterixed the cpap line and other areas they wanted the doctor to fill in. I think your doctor blindly followed their lead.

Yeah, you're probably right. I've been in business before where I needed a form filled out by somebody in a very specific way. What I'd do in that case is actually fill it out for them and just instruct them to "review it for accuracy" and sign the bottom. While there's no field on the form that specifically talks about "data-capabale," there is a box for "Auto."

Anyway, I do have a good rapport with my ENT doc, and my following up with him is tomorrow, so I'll discuss it with him then, as you and Opal, have suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2017, 03:53 PM)ajack Wrote: The good news is, as you saw, that you are a monthly rent.
Hopefully your email will clarify how it works and your out of pocket costs, or someone here can advise, I would be returning it ASAP.
Worst case, you buy your own auto for 4-500$ off amazon

Turns out it's not a rental. She emailed me back explaining that it was a purchase. It was covered by my insurance - I'm going to call them and see what they say. I think the claim is still being processed.
Post Reply Post Reply
See if your ENT can help you, if not you have 2 choices, 

1. be satisfied with the brick.

or

2. walk in to the DME with the machine and say that you are extremely not satisfied with the machine, here it is, now get me one of these!

But DO IT QUICKLY
Post Reply Post Reply
Option 3.  Tell the DME if they dont do #2 you will use it as a backup machine and there will be NO further compliance info on the machine as you will be purchasing a good machine on your own.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2017, 04:39 PM)bonjour Wrote: Option 3.  Tell the DME if they dont do #2 you will use it as a backup machine and there will be NO further compliance info on the machine as you will be purchasing a good machine on your own.

Thanks. Does "NO further compliance info" mean my insurance won't pay them for the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sortof.  It means the insurance company won't pay more than the initial 90 day rental and will ask the DME to come and get the machine.  Machines are issued in a rent to own fashion.  (at least mine was.)  As soon as I was compliant, my DME billed my insurance for the full amount.  Once the DME has it back, they will need to either issue it to some other unsuspecting person or sell it used.  --My DME has used machines on their website and I suspect that's how they ended up with them.

Hopefully that works and they give you another machine as doing that might create another issue and maybe someone here can answer it.  If you turn in your machine because you're not compliant, will the insurance continue to pay for supplies (masks, hoses, filters etc.)  I'm not sure you can show compliancy on your new, self-purchased machine.

But I'm sure someone who's been here longer than me will have an answer for that question.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used this (the fact that it's a rental) to my advantage.  I brought it back to my DME, and told them I was returning it.  They were *shocked*.  I said "It's a rental, right?" Yep. I told them I no longer want to rent it.  

And then I told them which machine I *do* want to rent.  They were unwilling to provide that machine. So I found a different DME that was willing to provide the machine I was willing to rent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, I see now where you said you don't think it's actually a rental.

Have you called your insurance company and asked them? Mine told me exactly what they do and don't require (my insurance requires it to be a 13 month rent-to-own payment plan, AND my insurance does not require compliance). Armed with that knowledge, I was better able to navigate the "threats" and misinformation from my 1st DME.

P.S. Bonjour has laid out good options.

Act sooner rather than later.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Brick" error in Oscar for Resmed Vauto? Sleeper512 5 1,148 12-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeper512
  AirSense 10 "Brick!" Oscar issue cptnjoao 4 999 10-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] My Brick Report SkiSmuggs 13 2,338 07-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SkiSmuggs
  Upgrade from brick stanleydean 9 1,980 03-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Guys I got a brick. UKwildcatfan 46 6,342 03-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Mark71
  Dreamstation cpap brick to auto cpap. kadaroten 5 2,283 09-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question [Equipment] Respironics Power Brick: high-pitch noise benpeter 2 1,754 03-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.