Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Yet another CMS-50F data issue
Question 
Yet another CMS-50F data issue
Hi all...

Searched the board and read the prior threads related to this issue, but I still cannot get things to work correctly.

Short summary:

CMS-50F (the newer one with the blue face) oximeter. Unit works well and does store information.

When connected to my Windows 7 64-bit computer, the PC cannot detect the oximeter, even with the latest USB to UART bridge and software recommended on the Pulse Ox Store site.

When connected to my Windows 7 32-bit laptop, it can detect and receive the data, but only into SpO2 Assistant [ver. 2.2] (which of course produces the SleepyHead-unusable .spo2 files). When I open the SpO2 Review [ver. 1.2] (Green Heart) the software indicates that the unit is connected and then remains at the "Device connected: waiting for data..." message. An hour or more later, and it has received no data.

On the New Session window, there is only one Com Port available for selection, but I have tried all other models of Oximeters listed on the Connection pulldown menu just to see if it makes a difference. It does not.

Any inputs, hints, tricks, etc.? Any way to convert .spo2 files to a usable form in SleepyHead (.spo2 to .csv to .spor)?

Thanks! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Yet another CMS-50F data issue
I am pretty new to my CMS50F, but, when you see the screen, " waiting for data..." - you must then go to the Oximeter (which is plugged in and on), go into the menu, and then choose "upload" - and (for me) it takes roughly 2-3 minutes to upload 8hrs worth of data.

I do not use any other software, so can't comment on the other issues.

In the 'readme.txt' file, it tells you to do stuff in this order:
Turn on Oximeter
Plug it in via USB
Then start program (green heart)
Click new session
Try a port and device model
click OK and it should 'see' it - if not, repeat the last two stops trying a different port number.

I am using Win7, and a USB hub, but have not tried it on multiple 'puters.
HTH
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
From the 'readme.txt' file:

9,The review program

1) To receive saved data from your device, connect your device to computer, start the review program,
then click the button which looks like a glass.
A new session dialog will show up and normally you should enter your name, age,and other info.
select device type and COM connection.
When the transfer is done, the data file will be displayed for you.

Make sure the COM connection is right. If you don't know which, try all of them 1 by 1, and don't save file,
until the connection is made,and display matches your device.

Two files will be saved in the "Data" directory for this session for you.
One is for review (used by the review program), the other is a text file for Excel.

So,can Sleepyhead use .TXT files?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2013, 12:04 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I am pretty new to my CMS50F, but, when you see the screen, " waiting for data..." - you must then go to the Oximeter (which is plugged in and on), go into the menu, and then choose "upload" - and (for me) it takes roughly 2-3 minutes to upload 8hrs worth of data.

I do not use any other software, so can't comment on the other issues.

In the 'readme.txt' file, it tells you to do stuff in this order:
Turn on Oximeter
Plug it in via USB
Then start program (green heart)
Click new session
Try a port and device model
click OK and it should 'see' it - if not, repeat the last two stops trying a different port number.

I am using Win7, and a USB hub, but have not tried it on multiple 'puters.
HTH

Thanks for the info. When my oximeter is connected and on, the following are the only choices in the menu. Brightness, Alarm, Clock, Wireless, Record, ID, Power Off, & Exit. There is no 'upload' selection to pick.

The New Session screeen only lists one Connection Port to select (COM4 in my case, which matches the COM port listed in the device manager) and a bunch of different oximeters to choose from (it defaults to CMS50E and I have tried basically all the choices listed just in case).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi revolp1965,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck with figuring out your oximeter problems and with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Is your's the blue-tooth or NON-blue-tooth version? Mine is the non-bluetooth version, bought about 10 days ago.

On start-up it states 'version 3.5'.
I have:

Brightness (4 levels)
Alarm (submenu with on/off, and hi/lo limits)
clock
USB (on/off)
Record (off/on)
Upload (off/on)
Power off
-and then exit.

I am using the same software version you are.

Page 19 of the 'manual' shows figure 5, which lists exactly what I see on my menu.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2013, 02:45 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Is your's the blue-tooth or NON-blue-tooth version? Mine is the non-bluetooth version, bought about 10 days ago.

On start-up it states 'version 3.5'.
I have:

Brightness (4 levels)
Alarm (submenu with on/off, and hi/lo limits)
clock
USB (on/off)
Record (off/on)
Upload (off/on)
Power off
-and then exit.

I am using the same software version you are.

Page 19 of the 'manual' shows figure 5, which lists exactly what I see on my menu.

On startup, my pulse-ox states "Version 3.7W". When I looked over my purchase, I did not order the Bluetooth version, especially since neither of my computers is Bluetooth capable, but it appears that I might have been sent the wrong one. I know I can get a Bluetooth adapter for either computer, but is that going to fix the overriding issue of the type of file being created? Even if I can get the data into my PC or laptop, I still cannot get it into Sleepyhead unless the SpO2 Review (Green heart) will accept the interface data via the Bluetooth.

Anyone with experience using the Bluetooth feature for this or should I just send it back and start over?
Post Reply Post Reply
At this point I'd just be guessing, as your version is different than mine - I wonder what the "W" is for?

Do you have the manual for it, and, if so, what does it state? Does it list different options, etc? It should also tell you how to do a transfer.

Lastly, can SleepyHead handle .TXT files, or just .CSV files? If only .CSV, you *could* open the .TXT file in Excel, and then resave it as a .CSV file - just a thought.

Lastly, the USB only version was cheaper in my searches recently, bluetooth added more $$$

Post Reply Post Reply
The new style (blue face) CMS50F oximeter produces a file in a different format than that of the older style (white face) one does. The data fields are located differently and the offset for the start of the pulse and oximetry data is different. So, at present time, SleepyHead cannot read the file successfully.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2013, 10:17 AM)jds74 Wrote: The new style (blue face) CMS50F oximeter produces a file in a different format than that of the older style (white face) one does. The data fields are located differently and the offset for the start of the pulse and oximetry data is different. So, at present time, SleepyHead cannot read the file successfully.

Thanks for the information. The unit is going back. Any recommendations for a user friendly Pulse Ox that won't come off the finger in the middle of the night that produces data that Sleepy Head can actually use?

In 2013, should it really be this hard? Any reason that all new CPAP's don't come with oximeters built in? Doesn't seem like particularly expensive technology.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 11 367 6 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 5 295 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: pamm777
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 197 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,469 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,484 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 150 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 763 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.