Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Yet another newbie - I'm clueless...
RE: Yet another newbie - I'm clueless...
(05-03-2017, 10:41 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: We can keep working to bring that down a bit.   What were your results at 12 CPAP and what kind of events?

Thanks...

I didn't even try 12 CPAP, knowing that that was not the same setting as what worked for me in the past.  Current setting (as of yesterday evening) is:  vAuto 12/8 PS 0.0
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Yet another newbie - I'm clueless...
It's always a bit more difficult to fine-tune apnea with a lot of CA.  Your initial results had me thinking you would end up using ASV.  Anyway, that is the reason pressure support does not work well, unless it is intelligent and able to overcome central apnea.  When you talk to your sleep doctor, it would be nice if he leveled with you as to his strategy.  To me, the fact you got a BiPAP pointed to central or complex apnea.  I just wonder if your doctor expected that you would fail BiPAP and end up needing the ASV.  The initial results you posted sure pointed that direction.  His reaction to your simplified settings is irrational.  He prescribed 20/8 over PS 4.0.  For someone with central events this was bound to fail.  In his defense, a fixed CPAP pressure that prevents OA can also minimize central events, and a lower pressure is usually better for that, so his recommendation of 12 is a bit surprising.

In your first graph, your OA events overwhelmingly occurred at high pressure when IPAP was >18 cm.  After we changed pressure to exclude pressure support and limit maximum IPAP pressure to 12, you eliminated nearly all CA, and had some OA events at the maximum pressure of 12.  If you look at what is going on here, it's very possible we will end up at fixed pressure of 9.0, but it will take some trial an error to narrow it down.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3260]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3429]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 391 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.