Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

You want what?
You want what?
Yesterday, my local DME supplier called me to say that he needed to come by and pick-up my CPAP machine and all of it's equipment. 

Of course, I asked him why. He said that he received a computer generated notice stating that my prescription had expired. I told him that I had just had an appt. with my sleep doctor on Nov. 21st. 

I turned 65 on Oct. 22nd. I signed up for Medicare in early October. My sleep doc wrote a new prescription satisfying Medicare and he said that his office would notify my DME supplier as well. Well, apparently his office didn't get on it and do it. 

I told the guy from the DME all of this and he said that would be fine, and he would make a note on my customer file. A few hours later yesterday, I received another call from the DME supplier (different guy) requesting that I come in to fill out some new paperwork. He asked that I bring my CPAP machine with me so that they could get the serial # and a DN # off of it. 

I asked them if it was okay for me to note both numbers and write them down. They said that would be okay, but they'd like me to take a picture of the info. on the machine's screen. After speaking to the DME guy, I called my doctor's office and let them know what was going on.

I found the serial # easily enough, but no DN #. So, I'm just going to take the machine in as requested. 

I am a bit confused. I was told that after 13 months of paying a co-pay ($9.09 / month) the machine was mine. I have done that. Supposedly, I no longer have a co-pay. 

It would be a big help if someone could fill me in on what constitutes ownership in regards to using a CPAP machine. We're going in later this afternoon, and I'd like as much information as possible to make sure I know what is going on.

TIA!  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: You want what?
My insurance rented my machine for 13 months and then it was mine. You need to check with your insurance to see just how they do it. I’m not sure I would take my machine in to the DME until ownership is resolved. Just take photos of all stickers and print on the machine.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
maybe they confirmed your story between calls. do you think they want the s/n etc because they want to record your ownership? if they were repossessing, wouldn't they still be requiring you to bring the machine in?
Post Reply Post Reply
One would think that they have all the machine's information on record. I did get it from them. I don't feel as if they are trying to repossess the machine by deceit by asking me to bring it in. 

Prior to me turning 65, BC/BS was my primary insurance. Now, Medicare is my primary and BC/BS is now my secondary. I was told by BC/BS, they will cover any charge that Medicare doesn't. 

Anyways, I'll take it in and make sure that they are fully aware that I have paid all of my co-pay for the last 13 months. If I have any questions, I'll be sure that they explain them to me to my full satisfaction before leaving. I'm also going to take in all the receipts showing that my co-pay has been paid in full.

BTW......I go by Big Guy for a good reason. Not many try to take advantage of me.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
my guess is that you may have switched to medicare insurance before the full 13 months rented to BC/BS and before the cpap converted to a purchase. if that is the case then Medicare will not rent any machine that isn't new. they will require you be given a new machine with the 13 month rental starting over. Compliance will also need to be met all over again. Crazy I know.

If that isn't the case, then I don't know what they're doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2019, 01:22 PM)dmeRT Wrote: my guess is that you may have switched to medicare insurance before the full 13 months rented to BC/BS and before the cpap converted to a purchase.  if that is the case then Medicare will not rent any machine that isn't new.  they will require you be given a new machine with the 13 month rental starting over.  Compliance will also need to be met all over again.  Crazy I know.  

If that isn't the case, then I don't know what they're doing.

Okay, that's good to know and thanks! At least now I have a head's up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some insurance companies do their own compliance monitoring, others have the DME do compliance monitoring. Your insurance changed. Could be as simple as the DME got a notice that they are supposed to be doing the compliance monitoring now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to give you the same information that dmeRT just gave you.

I’ve heard of this happening to other folk here.  Your on one insurance (in your case BC/BS) when you first start to rent a machine, then you change your insurance coverage before the rental period ends (in your case, going on Medicare).

Medicare will require you to start over with a new machine, which isn’t a bad thing.  If you weren’t happy with what you were renting, you can request something different.  I’m pretty sure even if you met the 13 month rental, Medicare will require you to start over with a new machine. But call them to be sure.

Important:  If you have met the 13 month rental, that machine is yours.  Do not give it back!
You can use it as a backup.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For what it is worth. 
I have a Medicare advantage plan through Humana and this is what I was told. 

You pay a 13 month co pay for thirteen months and then stop. I was also told I NEVER would own the machine. 

Now it’s not likely I will ever have to turn in the old machine but I am concerned I will have to swap it when it is time for me to get a new one. 

I am hopping to use the old one as a backup. Will cross that bridge when I get there.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
When I hit 13 months, my DME sent me a letter to certify that I am now the owner.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.