Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Favourite Mask :-)
Thumbsup 
Your Favourite Mask :-)
Hi guys. I was just hoping to see how people feel about their masks and why they've chosen the one they're using.

It's been a week for me since starting on a loaner CPAP machine and mask. I am currently using the DreamWear which is great, but... I get a little bit stressed out about worrying I can't get enough air through my nose. If I'm not paying attention to my breathing it's fine. It's just when I'm consciously aware of each breath and I feel like I have to gulp in air through my mouth.

Anyway, pretty sure this is more of a psychological problem than a mask issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has felt the same and if they got over it eventually, or if maybe trying a different mask was a good solution. I have an appointment Monday with the guys providing the equipment for my trial, so I'm trying to decide if I should ask to try another mask, just so I can be sure about which one I am going to purchase.

Would love to hear everyone's opinions on different masks though. Related or not to the conscious breathing issue. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Your Favourite Mask :-)
I've being using Activa LT nasal mask since started treatment 5 years ago and never looked back
I like it, very useful mask for side sleepers but might be a different story for someone else ... everyone is different

Tips for new CPAP users http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2015, 12:48 AM)LordPeanut Wrote: Hi guys. I was just hoping to see how people feel about their masks and why they've chosen the one they're using.

It's been a week for me since starting on a loaner CPAP machine and mask. I am currently using the DreamWear which is great, but... I get a little bit stressed out about worrying I can't get enough air through my nose. If I'm not paying attention to my breathing it's fine. It's just when I'm consciously aware of each breath and I feel like I have to gulp in air through my mouth.

Anyway, pretty sure this is more of a psychological problem than a mask issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has felt the same and if they got over it eventually, or if maybe trying a different mask was a good solution. I have an appointment Monday with the guys providing the equipment for my trial, so I'm trying to decide if I should ask to try another mask, just so I can be sure about which one I am going to purchase.

Would love to hear everyone's opinions on different masks though. Related or not to the conscious breathing issue. :-)

I started with the ResMed Airfit N10 nasal cushion, which I actually liked and was good for acclimating me to therapy. But I like to sleep on my stomach and have more freedom to move around, and nasal cushions aren't great for that, so I moved onto the Airfit P10 nasal pillows within a month and overall love them. I won't say that I don't have those moments like you describe, especially if I get condensation in the mask and it blocks the exhalation ports. But you just have to tell yourself that it's just a mask. If you feel you can't breathe or you get panicky you can simply take it off, relax for a bit, then try again. Also, I think for the pillows, you need to turn off the Ramp setting and just start with your initial pressure setting. Also activate the EPR setting to get pressure relief on exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a PR Nuance Pro. Very lightweight and comfortable nasal pillow mask. I tried the Dreamwear but couldn't keep a good seal. It's a great concept that just needs a little tweaking to work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LordPeanut,
It's probably not the mask, but you should try out a different mask if your not sure. Some folk take months to find that mask that is just right for them. Leak rate and comfort is what's most important.

As far as feeling like your not getting enough air, that is a fairly common feeling.
The worst thing you can do is gulp in air. If you do that enough, you can acquire a condition called Aerophagia, which will cause you to experience much stomach distress and bloating. Very unpleasant. Unsure

It's probably just a matter of not being used to Cpap therapy and feeling anxious.

One thing you can try to get used to it, is set up your machine in living room and wear your mask with Cpap on while reading or watching TV. You will be surprised how after a while, you won't even notice your wearing a mask and breathing normally.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While you on are your loaner period try as many masks as they will allow. It's a great time to try a mask without having to buy it. I just picked up my 4th one (DreamWear) a few days ago although I haven't tried it yet. Thinking I may do that soon.

I have decided for me that a nasal mask is kind of claustrophic. So on to nasal pillows. First tried the Swift FX and it worked pretty good. Then tried the P10's which are pretty good but I think I roll around from side to side in my sleep and I was getting more leaks with it, so I went back to the Swift FX. SleepyHead showed that I was better with the Swift FX even though I prefer the P10's. So sometimes it might not just be how it makes you feel, but how it is working for you.

The RT at the DME I go to who is also a SA patient and has trialled the DreamWear told me it was good for staying in place for someone like me who is a side sleeper for a large portion of the night. Only reason I'm hesitating trying the DreamWear is that my sleep doc is going to be looking at my data for a 2 week period starting the day I picked up the DreamWear and I don't want to skew the results.

As OpalRose said you have to find the mask that is right for you. So try and trial as many as you can during your loaner period!!!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just went with the most popular. I knew going in that I had trouble with full face masks (I couldn't scuba dive because of it). So a nasal mask would have been the minimum. I love nasal pillows, but the headgear gives me trouble. The P10 is a little too tight - I might have to cut my headgear and add something to it. I have a WISP, which I like but it won't stay put - slides up my head at night. I have Sleepweaver Advance and Elan - both have few leaks, but the leaks they have are LOUD. I've learned to put on louder white noise so that they didn't wake me up.

I would like to try an Airfit nasal mask. Hoping to try one on next week. My schedule allows me to get a new mask next month.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only one that has worked for me is the Sleep Weaver Elan Cloth Nasal Mask listed in my profile. Many people have had a hard time with this mask due to controlling leaks but for me, that has definitely not been a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2015, 04:43 AM)MtFallsTodd Wrote: I use a PR Nuance Pro. Very lightweight and comfortable nasal pillow mask. I tried the Dreamwear but couldn't keep a good seal. It's a great concept that just needs a little tweaking to work for me.

Did you get fitted properly for the DreamWear? They have different size headgears in addition to different size nasal pillow.

I tried it last night for the first time and my leaks were the lowest I've seen yet. Did you check your leak rate on SH?

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
The Wisp works fine for me but keen to try the new Dreamwear Mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,533 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,222 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,428 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,838 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,535 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.