Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
I  have been at this for 18 months so far , one good thing about this.
I was taken dexilant daily (It is used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease)
 Now I am  down to 1- 2 pills a week, before everyday I could feel my stomach

Michael
Post Reply Post Reply
in all our wrestling with masks and hoses and settings, it's easy to lose sight of some of the ancillary benefits, like relief from reflux. thank you for reminding me to appreciate positive results wherever we find them. I too was able to quit taking pills and choking down vinegar (it worked for me!) for gerd after a few months on cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All,

Been using a BiPap unit for the past 15 years--still on the first unit-a Respironics BiPap Pro.  One of the best decisions I ever made-keeps me sleeping all night.  I don't track anything, in fact have never been back to the Dr. in the past 15 years, it just works.

Tried several masks but ended up using the Swift LT over the last 10 years or so.  Nasal pillows work great for me.  The only problem I have is mouth breathing.

After waking up with severe dry mouth, I tried several solutions but ended up using Chin Up strips.  Taped to each side of your mouth and under the chin, it does a great job of keeping the mouth closed all night and never comes off.  The strips are kind of pricey but I ended up making my own.  Made a template of the cut out and use 3M Medipore tape easily available on Amazon.  Comes off easily but stays on well.  This still allows for some mouth breathing in an emergency and doesn't make it feel as you mouth is so taped up you couldn't breathe if necessary.

Recently bought a smartcard reader and when it comes I'm going to see if it works with the Respironics Encore software, which someone on this board kindly sends you upon request.

I think I will upgrade my machine soon as it's probably getting very near to end of life.  If there are any recommendations for a small, quiet unit I would appreciate hearing them.  I use a separate humidifier so don't really need one that's built in.

Also, when I initially started treatment it was with a loaner Cpap, which I absolutely could not use.  Could not exhale with a Cpap (pressure 14).  Got the Bipap and exhaling is as easy as if I wasn't even using the machine.  I think Bipap is definitely the way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I am using now my CPAP Prismasoft device with Resmed n30i/p30i for 3 month. From the beginning on I wear my mask around 7-8h per night.
AHI was 58 before and today 0-1. I am very happy and feel very comfortable with n30i/p30i.
I can't imagine to sleep without my mask. Also snoring stopped and I am feeling very well.

Frank
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2019, 05:12 AM)jeffdanger Wrote: Hi All,

Been using a BiPap unit for the past 15 years--still on the first unit-a Respironics BiPap Pro.  One of the best decisions I ever made-keeps me sleeping all night.  I don't track anything, in fact have never been back to the Dr. in the past 15 years, it just works.

Tried several masks but ended up using the Swift LT over the last 10 years or so.  Nasal pillows work great for me.  The only problem I have is mouth breathing.

After waking up with severe dry mouth, I tried several solutions but ended up using Chin Up strips.  Taped to each side of your mouth and under the chin, it does a great job of keeping the mouth closed all night and never comes off.  The strips are kind of pricey but I ended up making my own.  Made a template of the cut out and use 3M Medipore tape easily available on Amazon.  Comes off easily but stays on well.  This still allows for some mouth breathing in an emergency and doesn't make it feel as you mouth is so taped up you couldn't breathe if necessary.

Recently bought a smartcard reader and when it comes I'm going to see if it works with the Respironics Encore software, which someone on this board kindly sends you upon request.

I think I will upgrade my machine soon as it's probably getting very near to end of life.  If there are any recommendations for a small, quiet unit I would appreciate hearing them.  I use a separate humidifier so don't really need one that's built in.

Also, when I initially started treatment it was with a loaner Cpap, which I absolutely could not use.  Could not exhale with a Cpap (pressure 14).  Got the Bipap and exhaling is as easy as if I wasn't even using the machine.  I think Bipap is definitely the way to go.

Jeff, when you look for a replacement, consider that you are using a fixed pressure BiPAP at 13/10 (PS 3).  The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is capable of providing bilevel pressure support at 3-cm at the price of a CPAP, and will provide automatic pressure adjustment that your machine can't do.  The next level up, is an Aircurve 10 Vauto, which can provide higher pressure support and do some respiratory timing tricks.  Either one would be a big improvement over your M-Series which is way overdue for replacement.  Start your  own thread and we can discuss it in detail.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the dry mouth issue, you may want to try Xylimelts.  they are xylitol lozenges that stimulate salivation.   I've used them for about 4 years with good success.   Though of course they only address the dry mouth symptom.   They can't keep your mouth shut, if that is an issue for you in terms of machine usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
6 hours at AHI 0.0 last night! Woo hoo! I think that's with four normal-looking REM cycles, if I'm interpreting it correctly. That's after 6 weeks of CPAP/APAP, starting at 69.6 untreated.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been trialing a Resmed Airsense 10 since September and averageing between 10 to 20 AHI's, but a week ago I was put onto an older Resmed S9 V-Pap machine and my AHI have dropped to between 0.1 to 2.2 as they found that I have other complications beside sleep apnea and my restless legs, I have also been put onto another tablet at bedtime (Clonazepam), with all the other table to just keep me alive, I am starting to feel like a drug adict.
I am still using a Resmed F20 Full Face mask with memory foam, but am finding that it comes to far up my face, that it is nearly toughing my eyes is there another full face mask that comes halfwy up ones nose and cover the whole mouth.
Will keep on doing what my sleep doctor directs me to do, as I am starting to feel the benefits after so long feeling tied and wondering whether life was worth living.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Total Newbie here. Used a CPAP for 2 years about 6 years ago. Wandered away from it, tired of feeling like a mummy, all trussed up with a mask, chinstrap, etc.... At that time I was on a pressure of 17..... Recently had an appointment with my cardiologist that has been tracking my lazy aortic valve for several years. It finally went from moderate to severe, so a valve replacement was scheduled. He also suggested that I should do another sleep study (hate those things). I decided to not address that until the operation and recovery period. After the recovery, I dug my old machine (Phillips System one with humidifier) out of the attic, cleaned it up, and started using it. With it my AHI was usually in the 5 to 7 range, but I did feel much better. I then scheduled the sleep study, but the report would not be completed for 3-4 weeks (why so long I'll never understand). So during that time I continued with my old machine. Once the report came in I went to the local Lincare supplier, and picked up a new BPAP machine, a Dream System 700 (my pressures are 18/14). I opted for a new mask, the DreamWear full face (it only covers from the bottom of the nose to just below the lower lip, love it) which I had for the sleep study. I've been on the new machine now for a week, and I really like it. With those pressures, I had to make lots of adjustments to reduce the leakage, but I'm at a good place now with that. My AHI is now (averaged) 0.89, and most nights I log at least 7 hours. So far so good....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hmonnier,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Good to hear you've finally got yourself back on therapy and that it is working for you.
If you need any help or have other questions, go ahead and start a thread in the main forum.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 168 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,632 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 192 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,840 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 174 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 552 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.