Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
(01-05-2014, 02:02 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: Well thank you for all the info on a new machine, good thing i got good info from hou guys because mine died last night....lol. I guess carrying it back and forth to work, faithful use and a deployment to afghanistan was all it could take

Thanks again folks

I guess I read your post wrong as I thought you just purchased a machine at the end of October 2013. Hope you get a new one soon so you can continue to feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm the new guy around here, and 1 month new to CPAP therapy. So I'm still trying to get used to it. I'll be trying a different mask soon, but right now I'm using a nasal mask. It works pretty well, but I fight it off and on all night. Now it hurts my nose... Move it. Now it hurts my upper lip.... Move it. Now it's dumping air in my eye....... All that sort of stuff.

I did decide early on that I would "surrender" to this thing and find a way to make it work. So I'm busily doing that.

It's probably too early for long term observations, but I have noticed some differences in my lifestyle: I don't tend to dose off while driving down the freeway at 65 mph. That's a good thing. Then too, I don't need a "power nap" while my wife is in the grocery store. That's kind of a good, and a bad thing. I find my "limit" of tv shows I can watch before going to sleep has gone from 1 a night to however many I want to. Maybe a good thing.

So these, to me, are mostly positive things. The petty little things, like my mask trying to swallow up my face every night, I'll work out.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2014, 04:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I'm the new guy around here, and 1 month new to CPAP therapy. So I'm still trying to get used to it. I'll be trying a different mask soon, but right now I'm using a nasal mask. It works pretty well, but I fight it off and on all night. Now it hurts my nose... Move it. Now it hurts my upper lip.... Move it. Now it's dumping air in my eye....... All that sort of stuff.

I did decide early on that I would "surrender" to this thing and find a way to make it work. So I'm busily doing that.

It's probably too early for long term observations, but I have noticed some differences in my lifestyle: I don't tend to dose off while driving down the freeway at 65 mph. That's a good thing. Then too, I don't need a "power nap" while my wife is in the grocery store. That's kind of a good, and a bad thing. I find my "limit" of tv shows I can watch before going to sleep has gone from 1 a night to however many I want to. Maybe a good thing.

So these, to me, are mostly positive things. The petty little things, like my mask trying to swallow up my face every night, I'll work out.

which mask are you using right now? you will do well because you have the right attitude. It just takes time. You have seen some good results in a short period of time. What is your AHI and leak rate?
Post Reply Post Reply
I know the "surrender" feeling, thankfully the fight it sensation went away after three weeks. One thing is for sure, when I secure my mask to my face that thing ain't going nowhere the way it conforms to me....lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2014, 04:09 PM)me50 Wrote: which mask are you using right now? you will do well because you have the right attitude. It just takes time. You have seen some good results in a short period of time. What is your AHI and leak rate?

It's Resmed Mirage Activa mask with the optional "suck up his whole head when he's not looking" feature.. I'm going to try a nasal pillow thingy next week to see what it does. I figure that, plus my handy dandy chin strap that I use to try to keep my mouth shut, maybe a little super glue and some duct tape and I'll be all set.

I don't know my AHI and leak rate yet. I installed the software yesterday so now I'll start figuring out what it all means.....

Yes..... What does it all mean? That's the question.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2014, 06:05 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 04:09 PM)me50 Wrote: which mask are you using right now? you will do well because you have the right attitude. It just takes time. You have seen some good results in a short period of time. What is your AHI and leak rate?

It's Resmed Mirage Activa mask with the optional "suck up his whole head when he's not looking" feature.. I'm going to try a nasal pillow thingy next week to see what it does. I figure that, plus my handy dandy chin strap that I use to try to keep my mouth shut, maybe a little super glue and some duct tape and I'll be all set.

I don't know my AHI and leak rate yet. I installed the software yesterday so now I'll start figuring out what it all means.....

I hope that you got colored duct tape.....super glue....well, now.........
Post Reply Post Reply

OK.. So now I know my AHI and leak rate. From last night anyhow. The AHI was 0.6, and the leak rate was median 1.2, 95th parallel or something, 30.0, and Max 43.2.
Don't really have a clue what any of that means, but I have the feeling if I hang out here awhile I'll figure it out!

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2014, 08:14 PM)retired_guy Wrote:

OK.. So now I know my AHI and leak rate. From last night anyhow. The AHI was 0.6, and the leak rate was median 1.2, 95th parallel or something, 30.0, and Max 43.2.
Don't really have a clue what any of that means, but I have the feeling if I hang out here awhile I'll figure it out!

your leak rate is too high at least some of the time. It should be around 24 or less.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2014, 08:14 PM)retired_guy Wrote: OK.. So now I know my AHI and leak rate. From last night anyhow. The AHI was 0.6, and the leak rate was median 1.2, 95th parallel or something, 30.0, and Max 43.2.

G'day retired_guy. An AHI of 0.6 is really good. AHI = apnea-hypopnea index and is the average number of apnea and hypopnea events per hour. The target is 5 or below.

With a Resmed machine, a leak up to 24 is considered acceptable, in that the machine can compensate for that amount of leak. The 95 percentile means that for 95% of the time, the leak was at or below 30.0. Or in other words, it was above 30 for 5% of the time. Have a look at the leak graph in Sleepyhead and see if there were consistent leaks or just peaks which might correspond to you moving about, rolling over etc. Events which occur during a large leak are probably not reported properly, so for that period you can't trust the data.

Overall, though, it looks like you had a good night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been on cpap for about two weeks. My AHI was 15. Using a Resmed swift fx nasal pillow and it seems to be working well. Have ordered the new air fit p10 to try out. Machine is a Resmed S9 auto set with heated tube and humidity. First night was not good no sleep forgot to put my chin strap on. put it on still had problems Next night put chin strap on first and adjusted mask for minimal leaks but not to tight and it has worked ever since. Only wake up 2-3 times was waking up 5-6 time. AHI runs 1.5 to a low of .1 but mostly around the 1.0 range. Seem to sleep better and feel better in the morning. My pressure is 12 on straight cpap. I know a lot of people struggle for months I guess I am lucky. My biggest suggestion would be to not over tighten the mask, just tighten if enough to not leak or minimal leaks. Hope my blood pressure will lower over time. Have humidity set at 5.5 and hose temp to 82 no dryness in morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 147 2 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,618 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,828 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.