Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Dreamware
Humidifier: Dreamstation
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
I have been on CPAP therapy for 8+ years now.

I remember watching the same scene on a TV show 3 times because I kept dozing off. I remember missing big plays on a regular basis on MNF.
I remember my wife asking me to roll over multiple times a night to try and stop snoring.

All of that ended 8 years ago.

On the very first night my wife thought I had gotten up to watch TV or something and reached over and was shocked I was there, asleep... silently. She had to listen closely to make sure I was breathing and was alive.

I did not want to use a CPAP. I thought it looked like I was on a respirator. After the first night and certainly after the first week when I started feeling better rested my opinion changed.
11-03-2016 12:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
imagethief Offline

New Members

Machine: apex
Mask Make & Model: nuance
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Hello all,
My apnea journey started in '08. A friend of mine who works rotating shift called me one day and said he sat in a presentation from the local hospital about sleep disorders. He said all the things I had complained about for years were all the symptoms they talked about in the presentation. He said all I had to do was stop in at the hospital and pick up the sleep study equipment. At first I though I couldn't have sleep apnea, it must be some other problem. I knew someone at the time that had it and I didn't want a CPAP machine. After much pressuring from my friend I went and got the equipment, mainly to say I told you so! It was pretty simple setup and was a little difficult to sleep with but I managed. The next day I dropped of the equipment and they said they would call me with the results. As I walked in the door my phone was ringing and it was the hospital. The dr. said you need to see a dr. immediately. He said I was so bad that I could have a heart attack in my sleep. He said I was the worst case they had seen. So at this point I'm scared, heart attack in your sleep scared. My AHI was 28 and my heart rate was over 120 several times thru the night. O2 saturation was as low as 80%. At the time I didn't really know what all this meant but the dr. was very convincing that it was bad. I made an appointment a few days later and the dr. set me up with a CPAP machine that day. While I was waiting to see the dr. I decided to video tape myself sleeping to see what was really going on. It was really shocking to see myself sit up, eyes wide open, take a big deep breath, lay back down like nothing happened, time after time and have no memory of doing it what so ever.
I acclimated to the machine pretty quick as I was well motivated, heart attack in your sleep, motivated. To all new users, it just takes time to get used to it. They say it takes 21 days to learn a new behavior, it will take all of that. It didn't take but a few days and I felt much better. I just kept feeling better and better, day after day, more energy, less grumpy, not half asleep all afternoon. It was dramatic enough my co-workers noticed a difference. For years I had battled with anger management issues. Knowing what I know now I think it was mostly caused be sleep deprivation due to apnea. This is my apnea story, I hope it helps or motivates someone. Please keep in mind this is a serious issue, heart attack in your sleep serious. Stick with it, it will get better! Thanks for reading.
11-14-2016 10:00 PM
JaneAM Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: DreamStation APAP
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: amara view
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 7 to 15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Thanks for sharing your story. Your story of watching yourself on a video is quite amazing. Glad you found your way to the CPAP! My only addition to your advice is to tell people that it can take a lot longer than 21 days to get used to the machine. I didn't notice any positive effects until after about 10 weeks, and I didn't really get used to sleeping with it until after about 4 months. So - new users - stick with it! It's worth it.
11-15-2016 07:50 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
kirkreid Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: S10
CPAP Pressure: unsure

Other Comments:

I joined as I found a Resmed 10 Airsense10 Autoset for Her at the Flea, 230 hrs, in a bag, the found new pillows. same day about 10 weeks ago,

Bought as some thing that looked interesting to review

I snore and use a mouth guard, but can not sleep on my back as I will snore.

In the past when I have back pain, I sleep on my back with pillow under my legs to reduce the pain and it goes away after a period of time.

Had lower pain a few months ago, but can not sleep on my back as I will snore.

Some point remembered I had the gear, and started the research including this web site for the clinical

Did all the cleaning, and the used the defaults, with small pillows. ended up with a issue on my nose first night, researched on this forum and bought Lanolin, no issues since and move to the large Pillows after testing.

Spent more $$ on a new SoClean and S-9 adapter

Been tweaking, but my key is

I can sleep on my back and only wake up once after about 3 1/2 hours may use the facilities, usually no AHI. When i get up anywhere from 0.0 to 0.6

And I can sleep on my back with the pillows and not snore..

Do the Sleepyhead to review and tweak

Unit cost - $20 at the Flea, New set of 3 pillows $6, New SoClean with S9 adapter (eBay) $245. S10 SoClean adapter $20, heated climate line $ 35

Working on a backup bug-out bag for vacations, etc with S9 with high mile unit $5, new H5i humidifier $75, power supply $25, bag $20, heated climate line, $ 35 have a new standard hose to use without the H5i as part of the first S10 buy in the bag.

and can use the S9 adapter I got with the SoClean with it.

Some day I will go get a sleep test, but for me it has been a great solution to sleeping on my back...

Best $$ I have spent
12-01-2016 01:01 AM
kirkreid Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: S10
CPAP Pressure: unsure

Other Comments:

I have a deviated septum from playing sports
12-01-2016 01:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone having success using Swift FX Nano? Newbee2016 2 156 12-03-2016 07:07 PM
Last Post: Newbee2016
  post a picture worthog 3 149 12-02-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: pupcamper
  General rule for tweaking pressure - first post MartinT 7 381 11-15-2016 11:59 PM
Last Post: MartinT
  How do I post Sleepyhead Info? Saskie 8 237 11-11-2016 11:30 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  continued success, hope for others jxyzobrien 1 272 10-05-2016 07:30 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  1 Month into CPAP - Still Exhausted. What Data to Post? IMSleeplessInSeattle 21 1,212 10-01-2016 12:40 PM
Last Post: TomfromTexas
  [News] Washington Post Article Sleepster 15 934 09-09-2016 11:50 AM
Last Post: PaytonA