Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Thanks Deepbreathing. Not too concerned about that study as much as I am being able to determine what the best machine and mask will be. I don't snorkel because it's somehow a mental thing for me, although I have no trouble holding my breathe and swimming underwater.

Also, I took a VO2 Max test last year where you get on a stationary bike and wear what looks like a respirator so they can measure your oxygen / carbon dioxide as you breathe. I hated wearing the mask that long. So I already dread the CPAP solution.

I'm thinking about asking for a minimal mask like a nasal pillow, but I have no experience with any of it.

But these success stories are very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Small Victory - How are you?

I've been using my APAP machine abour six months now. A couple of days ago I realized that my standard reply to the standard question has changed from "Not too bad" to "Pretty good, thanks".

I no longer feel wooly all day, and can concentrate on my various software projects. It's a big improvement. Still not sleeping as much as I'd like, but it is improving.

And this forum has played a big part in my determination to continue past early obstacles.

Thanks and Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
His & Hers CPAP Makes Life Awesome
My story starts with my husband's apnea diagnosis about six years ago. I noticed him stopping breathing in the night and persuaded him to seek out a sleep study, then CPAP. He did not like the CPAP one bit, but with my constant nagging (sorry honey), he eventually got used to the machine. It would not be an exaggeration to say that his CPAP therapy transformed him.

Fast forward five or so years, and my husband tells me one fine morning that he has noticed *me* stopping breathing, then waking up gasping, about every two minutes all night. I knew it was serious so I made my own appointment and after a rather long wait, found myself in the sleep doc's office getting a home sleep study (diagnosis: moderate apnea, even though my SpO2 was 60% for a good portion of the night) and subsequent titration study in the lab.

Hubby warned me that I wouldn't be able to sleep the night of the sleep study. "It'll be awful!" he said. WRONG! Even with a head full of glue and wires, two straps around my body, EKG pads, leg wires, nose pillow with CPAP cranked up to 13, I passed out almost immediately and slept like a baby for five hours. It was my first peaceful rest in many, many months.

I've had my own machine for a week now, and the past two nights I've kept it on straight through until morning. My AHI is down to 3 this morning from 26 pre-CPAP. Within three days of starting therapy, I started to feel better and more energetic. I can't wait to see what life has in store for us now that we are both getting adequate rest!

Moral of the story: A two-CPAP home is a happy home. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hallo to You all!
My name is Holger and I'm writing from Germany. Age is 52.
Because of a great sleeplessness (from 0 to 4 hours a night, average 2 hours) over more than 4 years I went to a sleep laboratory.
Result: 37 AHI's, partially long lasting...
Treatment: Auto-CPAP
REMstar Auto A-Flex 60 Series (Philips Respironics) with Fisher+Paykel ESON or Simplus.
The reason is because I have problems with the connective tissue.
First result of the "therapy" after 14 days: Sleeping about 6 hours a night and constitution and condition increasing! Hope this will hold on!
Feels and seems as if I'm back in life!

Thanks to You all for Your posts and services in this forum and website! Thanks for all the help when writing software or searching for tools to work better with the CPAP technology in order to get better results in our Therapy!

In order to get best results, I raise(d) my own sleep laboratory with ECG ande pulse oximeter recording and evaluation with SleepyHead. Thanks once more to all who help to do that!

Greetings
Holger
A "face to face request" at last:
Please! All of You, wanting to adjust parameters of Your CPAP device! Do not do that without monitoring oxygen at least! Try to get firm with the technology what happens in the 3-side open valveless and two pumps master/slave-controlled system named CPAP or Auto-CPAP before You change values! Thank You!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 12:04 AM)Brandon Wrote: Hi, so I'm a 35 year old male, in good health. Yet I kept having issues with feeling tired all the time. I wouldn't let myself sleep for more than 6 hours due to massive headaches the next morning. It was even worse if I worked out the day before. I thought it was normal and I was just getting old. Also, I had very high blood pressure for some unknown reason.

My wife insisted that I get a sleep study, and once I realized that my insurance would cover it, I went for it. I never expected them to discover anything, but wow, the tech told me the next morning I have moderate sleep apnea. I couldnt believe it!

I immediately felt like I was having a horrible nightmare. The thought of wearing a mask on my face everynight with a tube, it just sounded horrible, and I was a little depressed about it to be honest.

Fast forward to one year later, now I gotta tell you, I LOVVVVEEE my machine! I'm doing so much better. No more headaches. Blood pressure is way down. Feeling less sleepy. Happier in general. I tell my wife all the time, I love wearing my mask, knowing how much better it makes me feel, I actually look forward to it.

I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. If you're just now starting out, don't give up. I know it's hard at first, but believe me, just stick with it and it will be worth it! Smile[/font]

I can totally relate to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
"I immediately felt like I was having a horrible nightmare. The thought of wearing a mask on my face everynight with a tube, it just sounded horrible, and I was a little depressed about it to be honest."

codename_snake: Thank you for sharing that! I am where you are with your statement I have quoted above, I pick up my machine today. Last night, I thought to myself "this is my last night of sleeping like a normal person".

Your "fast forward one year later" comment is awesome to hear, it gives me hope! Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2015, 06:54 AM)Krull Wrote: Last night, I thought to myself "this is my last night of sleeping like a normal person".

"Normal people" sleep doesn't involve choking themselves many times every hour all night long. You haven't been sleeping like a "normal person" for a long time now.

That mask will let you sleep more like a normal person, not less like one. Just think of yourself going on a long expedition up a very high mountain - supernormal!

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
I started with an apnea machine about 4 years ago and after a lot of trial and error I now I realize it was the hardest therapy that anyone can get used to. I heard that 60-70% fail and I feel that I am one of the lucky ones. After a few years I now know what works for me. The Swift FX nasal pillows are great, but there are issues with dryness and nose infections. I now apply occasional antibiotics on the inside my nose to prevent that problem. However, I also noticed that I have lost the cartilage in the tip of my nose in the left nostril. But, overall the positive is that I can sleep and I can think... Before it was awful just to get through the day.
I now purchased for travel the Transcend Auto for Travel. After spending $525.00 for this apparatus has been a disappointment. First, the CD's provided are not Mac compatible. Second, the site to register and to set the pressure is not working and there are no other sites I have found on the internet. It is Labor Day weekend so I will have to wait until Tuesday to get any info on this unit. Having read the gossip on this unit only one person said they love it. The others are not so favorable. I have the feeling it is going back where it came from and I will add my $525.00 refund towards my diving trip to the Philippines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all

Well this is the end of my second week using a CPAP machine and I have to say.. I LOVE IT! My AHI was 41, it is now .74. Huge success so far. My leak rate is literally negligible (using nasal pillows). I've read over the success stories on this board so I won't bore you with all the details of how good I feel AND how much it has benefitted my wife as well. All I will say is all the good stuff people have reported about using their machine...double ditto.
I am sitting here right now writing this and truely my only emotion is gratefulness, seriously.
To all those out there who feel trepidation about diving in to the CPAP world.. Please, do it...it is a blessing. To all of you on this board who give advice and inspiration and words of wisdom and encouragement..please keep it up. You are volunteering you time here to help others like myself and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say THANK YOU! The world of CPAP can be daunting at best and your efforts truely don'tgo unnoticed.

Sleep well my friends Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
We really are fortunate to be the first generation to have access to the technology. Some of our parents and grandparents had to suffer through shortened lives of untreated sleep apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 117 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,606 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 169 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.