Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Thanks for the post, and the history on you as well.
As for advice on losing weight - I found your body has a metabolic set point it returns too after a diet is stopped. And a diet is just a definition of the way we eat.

The thing I have found in any journey like weight loss YOU have to want it. I lost 50 lbs in 4 months a few years ago cause I had stayed at my metabolic set point of 300 lbs way to long even though I lift weights and do cardio 5 days a week I was still eating like I was 25 and not 45, 6000 calories a day from high protein moderate carb and essentail fats with veggies. I used my fitness pal app and started logging food, and got a fit bit for calories HR and activity.
I just ate chicken rice and veggies.

The best cardio I did was just walking. I tell people that all the time - get out and walk every day heck sometime 2 3 times a day if you have time. 
Getting up and moving eliminates a lot of pain over time too.
I would suggest a fitness tracker like the fitbit, it really motivates me to get up and move.

Good luck and thanks for the kind words on my story
Post Reply Post Reply
Things have gotten so much better.  Ok here we go, 20 years ago I was diagnosed with severe OSA. If I remember correctly AHI 83.2. Back then the machines took up the whole top of my night stand, and was very noisy. I had a full face mask. I couldn't stand it. Waking all hours of the night wrapped up in the hose. I just stopped using it. Then I had surgery tonsils, adenoids, deviated septum. WOW I'll never let them cut on my face area ever again. (PAINFUL!!!)
Fast forward to the last 2 years. I put in long hours at work. My wife started telling me, my snoring is so bad she couldn't sleep. Along with the snoring I would jerk and bark orders like I was at work, and I would stop breathing for long periods of time. What is strange is I am one of the bosses at work and I pride myself on not barking orders or being disrespectful to others. I could see I was making her nights miserable. I felt tired all the time. I just wrote it off as I'm working to much. The last straw (there was many straws before the last) for me was we were coming home from a family emergency on a dark lonely road, I was running about 70mph. I was fine one minute, before I realized it I fell asleep. I thank a higher power she was awake to wake me up before I crashed and hurt her or worse.
That was it I had to do something. I spoke to my GP he refereed me to a sleep Dr. In February I went for my first study, here I am again severe OSA, AHI 48.6. The Dr. set me up with a Resmed AirSense 10 auto with a Dreamwear mask. I love the size of the machine (and quite) and the mask with the hose on top. My setting was 8 cm. I believe my brain was telling my body "get some rest" because it worked great for the first week. Then I started having problems, like I wasn't getting enough H2O. I tried calling the sleep Dr. but no response. I spoke to my GP that is a hosehead, he recommended bumping up the pressure, so I did it slowly. Everything was going very well.  In the middle of March I had my second study. ( I told them I had bumped my pressure up nothing was said) On a cpap my AHI was 7.8 and my H2O was 84% The results showed I needed a bilevel machine. (Keep reading the good part is coming). I received my new machine Resmed AirCurve 10 Vauto, set at 13-17 in S mode. I truly think I was set up to fail from the DME $$$. The first week and a half it was blowing my mask off and I had bad mouth leaks. The kind people from this forum was giving me advise, but I was reluctant to listen. Because I had called the DME and told them it wasn't working, I needed the pressure changed, again no response. I called again and told them I was going to change it myself, I was told "It's a prescription and I would be non compliant if I changed the pressure and I would have to pay for the machine out of my pocket" . That's when a member explained how compliance works. I took his advise, changed my pressure to 10-20 PS -4 in auto mode. Works beautifully now. I saw my sleep Dr this past Thursday he didn't say a word about the changes I made. That's when I felt compelled to tell him. He looked again and said you are doing fine to keep it up. Needless to say I am changing DME's. Here is the success part of this story. I can now hold my wife in my arms again at night with out disturbing her, and I am getting enjoyment by being able to sleep at night with out jerking, barking orders or stopping breathing. Thanks to all here. My last statement will be make a donation to this forum. I have and will continue to in the future .The Apnea Board is PRICELESS
"I say, you work eight hours, and you sleep eight hours - be sure they're not the same eight hours."

Post Reply Post Reply
My DH said I was choking and gasping in my sleep. I thought I was sleeping like a rock. I was as tired (& brain fogged) as I think anyone could possibly be, but I'd been like that since high school, had mentioned it to anyone (including doctors) who asked how I was doing, and everyone chalked it up to my lifestyle.  

But I appeased my DH, and got a sleep study.  

My AHI while supine was 16-ish, and I always sleep supine because it makes my back & neck feel better. But my AHI on my side was 5-ish, and that's the # my dr went with... and he told me I wasn't a good fit for a CPAP, that I should just sleep on my side more, and "think about things for a month".

I told my dr that I was confident that one month would make no difference in my thoughts regarding how dog tired and brain-fogged I was (and had been for the last 20 years), while needing 10+ hours of sleep every day (+ 4 hours to wake up enough) to even try to function.

To be clear, I did NOT want a CPAP.  I did NOT want to sleep with a mask, a hose, any sort of noise, nor any infringement on my sleep.  BUT I was at the sleep dr for a reason, and I wanted a solution.  So I asked to pursue whatever solution he had. (He did offer a mouth thing, but I'd already read about the jaw, bite, and TMJ issues it causes, plus he also agreed that his patients who use the mouth devices always end up with jaw problems.)

So he reluctantly agreed to let me do a titrated/CPAP sleep study. I struggled with the idea of wearing the mask. (It probably would've been helpful if the tech who put the mask on me actually explained HOW to breathe with the mask on (ie: through the nose, since it was a nasal mask).) I convinced myself to work through the process, and I told myself (a la Star Wars) "I am one with the mask, the mask is one with me." When I woke up in the morning I felt AMAZING, and I was productive for 14 hours straight! I woke up "refreshed"... and I didn't even know that was actually a possibility in life. When I went for my follow-up, he said I responded well to it, and then he set my machine at its lowest setting. 

For the first week, I wrestled with the notion of sleeping with a CPAP. I repeated the Star Wars mantra several times that first week. The 2nd night, I tossed it to the ground after just a couple hours of sleep. By the end of the week, I was comfy enough with it... and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVING how rested and "refreshed" I felt. I realized I didn't care how much CPAP might infringe on my sleep, because it was GIVING me such happiness and freedom during the day!

At my 1 month follow-up, I told him I couldn't get a full breath with the mask, and he told me to pound bricks (he only cared about my compliance, not my comfort or even my optimal health). That's when I advocated for an Auto CPAP (through a DME that was NOT my sleep dr), and was able to find a pressure that didn't leave me hungry for air.

Now that I'm here, and have learned how to better optimize my pressure, I am a proud and happy (and functional) xPAP user!  xPAP has completely changed my life: I now only need 8 hours of sleep (with 30 minutes to wake up and be functional), I can think straight, I'm hardly ever yawning or tired, and I'm now a productive member of my family and society!
Post Reply Post Reply
Where to start??? Let's go back to the point when my snoring really became a problem and my wife was telling me that she often had to poke at me to get me started breathing because she had observed that I stopped breathing often during the night, she said it was sleep apnea. Not being an alarmist I would shrug it off with the statement that I had not heard of anyone dying from sleep apnea. But I had heard about people dying from stroke, conjestive heart failure and other nasty conditions that killed people. I still did not see the connection but because my snoring was beginning to create more and bigger issues I discussed it with my PCP about midway through 2000. Late 2000 "in clinic" sleep study, early 2001 "in clinic" titration, shortly thereafter a call from DME #1 advising me that they would be bringing my equipment. CPAP set at 9 cm and 2 LPM supplemental O2.

Shortly after the call DME #1 delivered a CPAP machine, a nasal mask, hoses but no humidifier. Being totally uninformed I had absolutely no knowledge of all this. Also an oxygen concentrator was part of the package. I had not seen a copy of the sleep study report and had no clue that I needed supplemental O2 while sleeping. The RT that delivered the equipment gave me basic instructions but I had no knowledge of AHI, CPAP, APAP, pressure settings or anything else related to sleep apnea or it's treatment, totally in the dark not knowing which questions to ask. Not long thereafter, DME #1 (one of the better ones in my experience) was swallowed up by DME #2 (my worst one). I had learned about DME #3 (my best one) in the meanwhile and arranged via my PCP to switch over. Then, due to a change in my medical insurance I could no longer use DME #3. By then, Medicare had decided I no longer qualified for O2 so that was discontinued. By then the CPAP machine was mine and I had accumulated enough mask cushions etc. for one to two years of CPAP but without O2. The lack of supplemental O2 was having negative effects so my PCP went to work on restoring O2 and getting a new RX for CPAP machine and supplies, all of which involved a worthless and expensive home sleep study. Enter DME #4 (second worst) with an O2 concentrator (no complaints there) and a CPAP brick from a manufacturer that I have not seen listed by any other forum member. The published motto of this manuafcturer is "putting the profit back into CPAP"

By this time my patience was used up and by a stroke of good fortune I found The Apnea Board Forum. After joining, it took a while for me to become an active participant. Over the past couple of years due solely to my participation in this forum, my AHI which was in the 15 to 20+ range  was reduced to 5 or less most of the time. But I was seeing what other members were doing with data capability and with APAP vs CPAP so I bit the bullet and with helpful input from SleepRider I purchased a DreamStation Auto BiPAP from Amazon. Subsuquently, my AHI has been lowered to and remains consistently below 1. My comfort level has improved remarkably and both my wife and I are very pleased with the results. My journey to this level has taken longer than what many of you have experienced but it has been worth the time, the effort and it has been made possible and very enjoyable by all of you great folks have unselfishly made this forum possible. I only hope that as time goes by I can in turn be helpful to others. I will eventually find another DME bur right now mable the devil that I know nay be safer than the one I don't know.

And to anyone who has read through this whole story, please accept my appreciation.  

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Stanleydean, You're story is inspiring for a guy like me that once was on a cpap and gave it up. Now I'm back and loving it. Your quote by Pat Summit is something that I love and hate. I'll explain. I hear so often "IT IS WHAT IT IS". I can't stand that statement. When I hear that no matter who's saying it, I will always come back with no "IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT" or WE MAKE IT. If we live our life's believing "IT IS WHAT IT IS" we are saying to our self's we can't do any better.
        As you I found this forum and have learned so much from all of these fine people, and for me It has been "what we make it"
       Thanks for the inspiring story and the great quote.
"I say, you work eight hours, and you sleep eight hours - be sure they're not the same eight hours."

Post Reply Post Reply
My first and second nights with my brand new CPAP ... for what it's worth.

The whole experience, of course, is a process -- one that is not always easy to tackle and one that is often frustrating, elongated and painstaking.  From the all night sleep study (scheduled for weeks before it happens), to the second all night sleep experience with titration (again scheduled weeks before it actually happens), then getting the doctor to review the titration results and prescribe the order for the equipment (yes, weeks more) ... then hoping at long last that the right choices have been made for the CPAP machine and the mask and the insurance company will give you what you really want ... then -- finally -- getting to the home health care supplier and actually getting fitted for the equipment that has been decided upon.  A long, sometimes tortuous process.  
that my equipment was finally delivered.  Halleluia!

Okay ... on to the first night ...

Got the notice that the equipment had arrived at the home health care supplier two days ago.  Went in and got fitted by respiratory therapist the same day.  Put the equipment on during the day at home in the afternoon and realized --- gratefully -- that it looked like it would be pretty easy to deal with.  It was. Thankfully.  I did not have any problems with the machine the first night.  I did take a sleeping pill, but I did not at all sleep restfully. 

I was definitely aware of the equipment all night that first night -- undoubtedly why I did not sleep well -- but I am certain it takes getting used to.  The good news is that I did not have a problem tolerating it at all -- I was very glad about that.  It was easy to set up and use and it worked smoothly and without a hitch.  The nasal mask and the machine were both outstanding.  The air flow (6) was fine.  I worried that I would open my mouth a lot, but that did not happen.  I had a good fit on the mask and the size I selected with the respiratory therapist (M) was perfect.  The worst thing that can be said is that the mask came off once in the night as I kept changing positions to get comfortable -- but fitment was really not a problem -- the size was correct.  

Other than waking up once to put the mask back on and having to use the bathroom once later, I did fine. 

I did not get a lot of sleep that first night, but that, I suspect, was to be fully expected. 

So ... initial impressions from the first night using my equipment: (1) The equipment (Respironics "DreamWear" nasal mask and ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set CPAP) is very, very good -- really, I'd have to say, excellent.  I feel I will get fully used to it in the not too distant future; (2) My numbers from last night were actually quite good -- there is a very basic (but acceptable for most) app ("MyAir") that you download onto your phone and it gives you the data of your timed usage, the mask fitment vis-a-vis leaks and the number of hypoxic events. My AHI is 34 and last night my number of hypoxic events was 2.4 per hour.  That appears to be in the good range (0-5 is "Good").  So I think I had success on the first night.  I had a good fit on the nose with my mask and did not have leakage.  Zero claustrophobia.  The numbers show that the thing worked even though my sleep was not restful and deep (I don't remember any dreams and these apparently come with getting good REM sleep -- which I did not seem to manage last night).  I wasn't rested in the morning, but the app support link says that this is to be expected for a bit until using the machine gets to be routine and sleeping with it becomes second nature -- and the respiratory therapist agrees; (3) I am darn glad I got the set up I did with the DreamWear and the AirSense 10 Auto Set.  The machine and mask are just the ones I had researched online on this Forum as my top choices, and they were definitely the ones I wanted.  I got what I asked for and I can see the wisdom of the set up that I got.  I need to log more time with it all, but hopefully it will get better and better -- I have confidence that it will and so does the therapist.  She says it will be a big deal for me as I am in the "Serious" category with my apnea score; (4) I like the home health respiratory therapist I was assigned and I feel that I can talk to her easily.  I have a call into her to ask a few questions and I will discuss my first night results with her when she calls -- she is kind, patient, smart and very willing to help -- just what you need and want in a health care provider; (5) I can see that the equipment will much less a big deal for me to get used to that I thought it would -- and that to me is a huge development.  I was worried that the equipment  would make me claustrophobic and I would not be able to deal with it.  That is definitely not the case -- I am sure I will be able to adjust to it shortly; (6) I do look forward to a better sleep result -- I am confident that it will be forthcoming as I continue to use it and persist with it.

So overall, a very good first night result which hopefully will get better as time passes.  Not all I want for sure, but I now have it all in place, I am actively working with it and hopefully headed toward better, more restful sleep that will serve me a lot better than in the past several years when I have struggled with this chronic sleep apnea.

Update since writing this earlier but before posting: I heard back from the respiratory therapist and she confirms that for many, the improvement will be gradual with increasingly better and deeper sleep.  She says that patience in working with this should bring about a much better lifestyle -- remembering that my condition with the apnea took years to develop to the point of being serious and it will not be stopped or reversed overnight. 

Last thing I want to add that to me is very important: I am very grateful for this Forum -- I feel that it gives me important support and just a place to vent about my experience.  In my research here, I found support for my problems, I was encouraged to finally seek help with CPAP, I discovered important medical info on the bad health things that come from the steady influx of adrenaline and cortisol that are the by-products of restarting breathing so traumatically after apneas shut down our breathing, and I was able to study and decide on the best choices for me in terms of nasal mask and CPAP machine -- all though this wonderful Forum.  What could be better?  This is just an outstanding resource for those of us who suffer from this apnea problem,  and I am deeply indebted to those who have set it up and those who have contributed to it with their postings. I, for one, have derived a LOT of help from it.

Okay ... on to second night -- a noticeable difference! 

I slept better on night two than I have slept in literally months and months and months.  I still cannot believe it.

On night two -- last night -- I was asleep non-stop from about 11:00 pm till 5:20 am.  Almost five and a half hours.  For me, outstanding.  I woke up more 'with it' than I have felt in a long while  -- and definitely more refreshed than I have felt for months -- maybe even years.  I did take two cold tabs as I developed a stuffy head and runny nose yesterday -- from being outside cutting grass with all the stuff in the air I suspect -- but I have taken sleeping pills and cold remedies in the past and still not slept like as well as I did last night.  I am very impressed this morning on waking how well I slept -- how long, how soundly, how restfully.  What a great deal. 

On night two, I succeeded in getting the headgear positioned with a good seal on the nasal mask, and then I was able to just forget about it all on my head and face.  I did not notice it once throughout the night on my head and face.  I do not toss and turn throughout the night as I did the first night.  Almost unbelievably, I did not have to get up for any reason -- I just slept -- and slept soundly.  I don't remember dreams, but I sure felt rested this morning in a way that I haven't felt in a long while.  Is it all I would want, all I remember from the past with fully restorative sleep?  No.  But is it something that has me paying close attention today because of feeling noticeably better?  You bet it does!

I have no idea if this sensation this morning -- this feeling of calm and restedness -- is fully attributable to the CPAP and nasal mask, but I am thinking it might be.  If it is, I am really thrilled.

I know there is a learning curve going on here and I know it is going to take time.  But I have to say that if it keeps heading in this direction, I am going to be one very happy camper -- a self that will be ready to be beating myself up that I did not do this years ago when I have so suffered with this crummy feeling from the sleep apnea that has plagued me for so very long.

I know I am where I am with this stuff because of the strides that have been made with the newer equipment and newer, less claustrophobic masks.  I might have been ready for this a few years ago, but the equipment available then definitely did not appeal to me -- and I was wigged out enough about feeling claustrophobic that I avoided finishing my apnea work up and getting fitted for CPAP then.  Now, in seeing the stuff available these days, I decided to give it a try thinking that I could possibly tolerate it now.  If last night's sleep is any indication of how this is going to go, I will be over the moon with gratitude about where I am headed with this therapy.

My next step is getting some good software installed and working -- SleepyHead or SleepMaster.  The "MyAir" with ResMed is okay, but it is very basic and I would like to see more of the details that "MyAir" omits.  That is my goal for today or tomorrow -- get set up with a WiFi D card and easy to use and understand telemetry software so that I can follow my sleep therapy progress.  I have ordered the Toshiba FlashAir III and am looking forward to getting the software loaded on my computer shortly ...

Sorry for being a bit verbose here (no, really, a LOT verbose here), but if this helps any one out there who is "on the fence" as I was, then I am happy that I have done just a little to pay forward the help I have had by tuning in to this Forum myself.

Deek Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, Deek. And welcome to the hose head club.

(05-20-2017, 04:33 PM)Deek Wrote: I have no idea if this sensation this morning -- this feeling of calm and restedness -- is fully attributable to the CPAP and nasal mask, but I am thinking it might be.  If it is, I am really thrilled.

It definitely was and still is for me. Unlike you, I had a lot of trouble adapting, but I still got that feeling on some mornings. I got it more and more often as I adapted, and now 5½ years later that feeling is the new normal for me. Like it is for people without sleep apnea and like it was for me when I was much much younger. We appreciate it more, though, because we went without it for so long and because we had to work so hard to get it back.

Cheers!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been a CPAP user for close to twenty years now. When I started using CPAP I did not have insurance so I found a used machine and found out how to set it on the internet. I had a brother that was similar in size to me and had a CPAP I started with the same setting as him (14cm). I had a hard time getting used it, I found it difficult to fall asleep with it on and when I did manage to I would wake up with it off in the morning. After a few months of struggling, I did finally get to the point where I realized that I felt much better when I managed to wear it through the night. Then I went camping and did not use it for three days, I felt horrible and experienced several microsleep episodes on the way home, almost hitting a mailbox one time. I did have a sleep study about five years ago and it did not go well, I had been using a CPAP for 15 years already, now they needed me to sleep without one. I was able to sleep enough to confirm that I had apnea, but not well enough to determine a setting for me. This was a good thing as they recommended an APAP and gave me a Resmed S9 AutoSet set to 7-18 and told me to bring the card in in a month. I hated the low start pressure, it made it difficult for me to fall asleep and I told the person I met with this, but she did not change the low setting and said the results looked good. I also told her that I liked the auto start feature of my old machine and was told the auto set machines didn't have this capability. After using it for 2 years or so I went camping and had to use my old machine because I had it set up to run it off a battery. I felt I slept better with this machine so I kept using it when I got home. I used it for 2 years. Last month went to see my DM and he (different person from the first time) asked me how it was going and I told him that I had gone back to my old machine because the start pressure was lower than I liked, he said that could easily be changed and he upped it to 13 and wants to see my card in a month. Now I am back to using the S9 and love it. After that appointment, I decided to do a little internet research and ended up here. I have been tracking my results for about three weeks now and the settings seem good. I found out how to access the setup menu and low and behold there is an auto start feature which I enabled as well as more detailed info on the sleep report screen. I am fairly certain I would no longer be alive if it weren’t for my use of a CPAP, whether it be a car accident or heart problems I don't think I'd be here. This board is a great resource Thank you all, I have learned a lot in a couple weeks of lurking.

A screen shot of a typical day ht  tp://imgur.com/IHTruvg (normally have less leakage though).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses, Sleepster and DavePaulson.  As a retired trial lawyer, I know how important it was for me when I was a starting out young lawyer to be able to learn from experienced trial attorneys about their past mistakes and their past victories -- in the telling of their stories, they paved the way for me to do my best as I began my courtroom career.  Like that experience, to have the benefit of those folks here who have paved the way for us in their own apnea treatment is really, truly invaluable.  

I can see, very clearly, that this journey is a process -- not something that is going to happen automatically or instantly.  My first night with my CPAP was okay -- but not at all restful.  My second night, surprisingly, brought me a deep and restful sleep -- sleep that I had not experienced for months and months.  And last night, looking like it would be good again, ended up being a complete dud.  I got ready for bed, was plenty tired and ready for sleep, got my mask fitted well with no leaks, then ... couldn't manage for the life of me to get to sleep.  I tossed and turned all night, almost exactly like the first night.  The mask stayed on and my numbers appear to have been good (at least according to the simplistic "MyAir" software that I am using until I can get SleepyHead working for myself), but I was as far away from good and deep sleep as I have ever been.  

So I realize that this will be a process.  But I'm not demoralized or deflated by any means.  The most frequent advice I have been given is that I should expect little noticeable change in sleep quality for at least a month -- and maybe even more.  I am fine with that -- I have every intention of being patient to see if it happens.  Frankly, like many of us, it took me years to get to this point in my life with my ongoing and serious sleep apnea and I know my condition will not change overnight.  

The good news for me is this:  I feel confident that I managed to pick good equipment in the CPAP machine and the mask fitment and I have had zero problems in tolerating them thus far.  I was really worried that I would find the whole thing too claustrophobic and restricting to continue on with it, and I prayed that that would not happen (now that I finally got my back end in gear to get treated for something I should have sought active treatment for years ago).  My prayers were answered and I am darn grateful.  I am glad that there are now new developments in this area that make the transition into treatment better than even a few years ago when I first looked into the idea of using CPAP -- these things, as DavePaulson says, end up enhancing our chances of good life again instead of dark days and the ever present risk of sudden death.  Who can't say that this is a mighty big deal? 

One other good thing I have found -- commented on by Sleepster:  Since using the CPAP for the past three nights, I have not experienced the waking up anxiety and unsettledness that have been my constant and daily companions for so long.  My body is noticeably more calm and settled upon waking.  I may not feel completely rested -- or able to get deep sleep with vivid memory of dreams (yet) -- but I am very pleased that the anxiety and unsettledness have thus far bowed out of my early morning routine.  I am pretty sure those things come from the release of the adrenaline and the cortisol that go hand in hand with my hypopnea episodes in the past -- and I am hopeful that they will continue to be things of the past as my use of my CPAP continues.  Because my use of the CPAP will definitely continue.  If I don't get good sleep in a month or two, yes, I will reconsider this, but with all I have read, I think it's a good gamble to think that better and deeper sleep is headed my way in the not too distant future.

So away we go -- tonight will be the next installment toward my hoped for horizon of better rest and calmer seas.  

Thanks again!

Deek
Post Reply Post Reply
DavePaulson, I to like the auto start/ smart start. When I received the Resmed AirSense, It wasn't a problem. A month later after 2nd study I received a Resmed AirCurve Vauto. What no smart start? I could see it in the menu but it was grayed out. I asked the DME tech, she said bring it in it must be defective. Really lady brand new machine? (I do understand sometimes new products don't work) so before I drive 30 miles one way to take the machine back I did like you, lurked around. Come to find out the leak alarm was on which disables the smart start. I was set in S mode and was set up to fail. The leak alarm was so loud that it would wake me and the wife. I turned it off and wallah the smart start was no longer grayed out. Changed my settings per advice from a forum member, my leaks dropped to a acceptable range. It's just depressing that the people that we pay are suppose to help you don't, and total strangers from this forum do.
   I no longer see the members of this forum as strangers, just distant family. I've learned I can count on them to steer me right.
    Welcome to the family and I'm hoping your new DM is a good one.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 158 9 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,625 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,836 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 172 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 549 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.