Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
(04-12-2017, 05:40 AM)Neil1949 Wrote: Imediate improvement of my sleep. I have been using my trial Phillips APAP for a week and can hardly believe the results. I did a sleep study at Monash hospital in Melbourne, my AHI was 57.2 which Is pretty bad  I am still learning so I dont fully understand the jargon and the numbers but I do know that already I now sleep almost all the way through the night. I have problems with my mouth dropping open but I am sure that I will find a way to overcome this. AHI after a week is 8.2

Hi Neil,
Maybe you've figured this out by now, but finding the right chin strap does wonders for keeping your mouth closed during CPAP.  I've tried different straps to try to stop the lip leaks (air blowing out of your mouth when sleeping). Once I found the style that worked for me (there is a good selection to choose from on-line), the lip leaks persisted for a while and after several months they stopped completely. I guess the body learns what to do, because it wasn't anything I was doing!
The strap I ended up using was one just a simple single-width wide elastic band. I didn't consider that style at first because I didn't want anything impinging on my throat, but it turned out that supporting the soft tissue under my chin is exactly what I needed.  The point is, try a variety of styles to find what's comfortable and functional for you and don't over-think it. Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
I just gotta brag. Last night, for the first time, I had an AHI of ZERO!!  And, my SpO2 average was 93% with no drops below 89%. Best night ever!!  Good thing, as it is going to be 93 and humid today with an Air Quality alert...
Old man, new machine. Better sleep! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
I have been on a cpap for over 6 years and it was under good control until late last year when I started having multiple incidents over night at over 70 per hour and if during the day just after nodding off i awoke feeling most unwell.
My Dr sent me for an echocardiogram which showed arterial fibrillations.
Early this year I started a course of medication for the fibrillations and became the proud owner of a pace maker .
Everything started to improve with the overnight incidents dropping to a few an hour and over the last 5 days I am showing no incidents at all yes Zero.
snore index almost unreadable low 0.02 to 0.20 
My pressure is set at 14.
I am hoping that this is an accurate picture and that the machine is not faulty as all the other graphs have a reading and the apnea has been improving greatly since the pace maker was installed 3 months ago. 
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day embroiderer. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Five consecutive zeros would be extremely unusual. If you haven't already done so, reboot your machine: turn it off (at the wall, not the on/off button) and leave it for half an hour or more for the capacitors to discharge. Then switch back on and see what happens tonight.

If you're still getting zeros, upload a screenshot from ResScan so we can have a look at the waveforms. If you're using #SleepyHead, that actually gives more usable charts than ResScan.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the off chance that you are using SleepyHead, even though it's not listed, you are able to obtain a 0.0 AHI if you turn off all the Event Flags.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Than you for your advise I will turn it off now and back on later before going to bed.
I will post the results.
I am using the Resmed software.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2017, 07:41 AM)jsielke Wrote: I just gotta brag. Last night, for the first time, I had an AHI of ZERO!! 

Man I wish I could get even close to zero.... Crying-into-tissue

Well... even if I can't get that low, I am glad for 'ya.   Coffee

Well-done
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have re booted my CPAP and now my overnight results are much more believable With about 14 incidents in 10 hours with  the AHI/AI at 8.8 over 1.4 this is much better than the 35.8 over 24.20 last January before the pacemaker.
Thank you for your advice it was a great help as I had not thought of re booting the CPAP.
Thanks Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
That DeepBreathig guy looks scary but sure has some good info.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a mixed story. I feel that my sleeping has definitely improved. My AHI is 1.4. I still wake up in the night but believe do to other factors. But..

I can positively say I gained 15 lb's since starting CPAP. I have always been under 205. I am almost 220. This correlates directly with starting and have not changed my diet or behaviors otherwise. This contradicts one of the perceived benefits. I don't feel "energized", although I have always been a morning person.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 157 7 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,624 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,835 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 172 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 549 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.