Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
(06-13-2017, 02:02 PM)ottcpap Wrote: I have a mixed story. I feel that my sleeping has definitely improved. My AHI is 1.4.  I still wake up in the night but believe do to other factors. But..

I can positively say I gained 15 lb's since starting CPAP. I have always been under 205. I am almost 220.  This correlates directly with starting and have not changed my diet or behaviors otherwise. This contradicts one of the perceived benefits. I don't feel "energized", although I have always been a morning person.

I have gained 10 pounds since starting and I am ravenous! Eating like a starving dog.
Post Reply Post Reply
I posted to this thread a while back, and want to update and report continued success with CPAP.

My AHI is almost always under 1, and 90% of the events are "central" Sleep Wake Junk. 

My flow limitations have finally resolved as well,  thanks to increasing EPR to 3, raising CPAP pressure from 7cm to  9cm, using an Airfit P10 mask and a soft cervical collar.  

But most importantly, beyond numbers, is that I continue to feel well, healthy, optimistic and so grateful that I found out I had OSA and that it is treated. 

Since being diagnosed I have done  a lot of reading on various online OSA forums, and this is the point of this update, to say a big thanks to the folks who tirelessly offer advice because many are reading and many are being helped. 

it is thanks to folks like you that I can post a success story to this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just joined this forum, but I've been using a CPAP since 2000.

My wife thought I might have sleep apnea shorty after we got married, so I got tested and did have it. It took me about a year to get used to sleeping with a mask on, but now I wouldn't sleep without it. Once in a great while I will fall asleep before putting it on and I am more draggy-butt all day when that happens.

I just purchased the HDM Z1 auto travel unit, as I have just started a job with a lot of traveling and don't want to lug my larger unit (A Resmed airsense 10) around if I don't have to. I discovered this forum in the course of searching for info on getting the proper settings out of my Airsense and into the Z1. Found what I needed here, so I joined and donated a few $. Thanks, should be a useful resource.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2017, 05:31 AM)Timur Wrote: I posted to this thread a while back, and want to update and report continued success with CPAP.

My AHI is almost always under 1, and 90% of the events are "central" Sleep Wake Junk. 

But most importantly, beyond numbers, is that I continue to feel well, healthy, optimistic and so grateful that I found out I had OSA and that it is treated. 

Since being diagnosed I have done  a lot of reading on various online OSA forums, and this is the point of this update, to say a big thanks to the folks who tirelessly offer advice because many are reading and many are being helped. 

it is thanks to folks like you that I can post a success story to this thread.

like Hi Timur, I just started CPAP therapy 10 days ago and just join the board 2 days ago. I seem to have been fitted with the same equipment and mask that you use for my one month trial. I live in Northern Canada and there is limited equipment supplier and choices (and prices are very high). I am so happy to have found this board and all of the good advice on equipment, software and self management.Thanks for sharing your story!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Northof60!

Welcome to the wacky world of pricing here in Canada!

I wish I had done more research before I bought my equipment from the local supplier/provider who was recommended to me after my sleep study by the sleep clinic (hospital based)

I'm in Ontario.

The prices are considerably higher from the "brick and mortar suppliers" than online stores. 

After the "trial period" you aren't under any obligation to buy from the local supplier, you can go ahead and buy online. (There is a list of Canadian suppliers on this forum) 

Just as an example of  price gouging: my original mask was a Nuance Pro Nasal Pillows Mask and it cost a whopping $259 from the locally recommended supplier/provider. It only costs $120 Canadian online. Additionally, when reviewing my bill I noticed it wasn't covered under the "basic mask" provision under the OHIP program. The cost was 100% billed to me. 

Best of luck with your treatment, and don't be gouged, online shopping is a Godsend for those of us needing CPAP supplies here in Canada.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
I was a year ago using a bmc and everything was love and peace, but my health service changed my equipment for an intellipap, and so far I have been very bad with this equipment, the snoring, the headache and the Sleep during the day, I hope it is only adaptation
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2017, 05:51 PM)smiledog Wrote: Stanleydean, You're story is inspiring for a guy like me that once was on a cpap and gave it up. Now I'm back and loving it. Your quote by Pat Summit is something that I love and hate. I'll explain. I hear so often "IT IS WHAT IT IS". I can't stand that statement. When I hear that no matter who's saying it, I will always come back with no "IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT" or WE MAKE IT. If we live our life's believing "IT IS WHAT IT IS" we are saying to our self's we can't do any better.
        As you I found this forum and have learned so much from all of these fine people, and for me It has been "what we make it"
       Thanks for the inspiring story and the great quote.

Thanks for your comments Smiledog. I just noticed them today, been sorta out of the loop attending granddaughter graduations out of state, visiting family and entertaining house guests. I have no idea where that quote originated but as an admirer of Pat Summitt during her career at UT I just latched on to it when I saw it credited to Pat. Wishing good results to you on your cpap journey!

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know since when I had apnea, I remember that on university exits everyone complained about my snoring, but during the day I was never sleepy; Years passed, until one day I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, I lasted four years in treatment, until my rheumatologist wanted a second opinion, the electro physiologist suspected a possible sleep apnea and was confirmed by a dream study, I I took very relaxed, and let time pass, a year almost, until I am hospitalized again for fibrillation, that already a year, and since that time I used the cpap, it was hard but there I go, slow but sure, of course I can not imagine Using this electric gossip until the end of my days, I take it very happily, and sometimes I say, if we were in ancient Egypt I would be buried next to my cpap, to stop snoring in the afterlife
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with OSA about 3 months ago in a sleep lab and sent home with an F&P Icon with Simplus full face mask. I did find it beneficial but I could never get a full nights sleep with it. More often than not I'd pull the mask off in my sleep because I couldn't breathe out against the pressure or the mask was so uncomfortable either leaking air into my eyes or tightened so much to prevent leaks that I couldn't bear it. Yesterday I went back to the clinic where they issued me with a ResMed Air Sense 10 Elite with a Quattro mask. For the first time since diagnosis I've had a full night sleep waking up with the mask in place. In fact I think I might have slept longer if my mouth hadn't been so dry. The myAir dashboard gave me a score of 97. 

I had almost given up on CPAP therapy as an overnight continuous treatment. I'm still slightly amazed that a different machine and mask made such a dramatic difference and I'm grateful that I have a health system that prescribes CPAP machines which made swapping machines possible. Just a bit of fine tuning on the humidity setting but I'm very impressed with the ResMed Air Sense 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
I now have been on cpap for going on 3 months. I have seen good results and seems to improve  a bit more and more. My blood pressue is down,  dont need meds any more.  My sinuses are clearer i can actually breath through my nose in which has not been done for as long as i can remeber. My blood sugars are down too almost back to normal.  I still feel a bit tired and i am hopping this will improve with time too. My apnea seems to be under control i have actually had 3 smiley face results on sleepy head. I only had high mild sleep apnea when diagnosed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 116 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,599 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 168 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 545 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.