Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
(06-20-2017, 10:46 AM)lagomorfo Wrote: I was a year ago using a bmc and everything was love and peace, but my health service changed my equipment for an intellipap, and so far I have been very bad with this equipment, the snoring, the headache and the Sleep during the day, I hope it is only adaptation

It sounds like the new machine isn't set up right for you. Are you using it in auto mode and increasing your minimum pressure to a bit below your average or median number? That should get you into range and I think like BMC, you can put the codes into a website for a report.

Start the thread and ask for someone to help you look at what is going on
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all!

Well, I was skeptical to say the least when my wife told me "you stop breathing in your sleep" 

So, being the stubborn man I am "prove it" came from my lips and the following day I was shown a video that scared the crap out of me! My body was gasping for air and the resulting snore was horrendous. As I suffer from depression I began to wonder is the reason i'm depressed a lack of a good nights rest? 

A visit to the ENT and a sleep study revealed a AHI of 60 and a diagnosis of OSA. I'm an average sized 37y/o male and the doctor was instantly shocked and told me I must go and trial a CPAP device. It's now been 2 months since that visit using a Dreamstation Auto CPAP and WOW I can honestly say I feel 100% better than I've ever felt before! I wake-up refreshed and feel amazing, I no longer have the brain fog and i've started to tapper off my anti-depressants with my therapists approval as he's seen a huge increase in my mood for the better.

Moral of my story? Listen to your wife Wink

SleepyOzzy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Great story, SlepyOzzy. Welcome to Apnea Board. We have seen lots of evidence that CPAP therapy does indeed reduce the need for antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications. Sleep deprivation can lead to all kinds of mental health problems.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
New user here.

Put it off for several years despite good evidence it was needed (long story).  I was trying to treat the question with a pulse oximeter and positions but, at the end, even sleeping mostly upright in a recliner and using a cervical collar wasn't getting the job done.  And who wants to sleep in recliner?

Working through my 2nd week with a Phillips Dreamstation.  Mostly a " do it yourself"  job (another long story)  

My "at home"  sleep study put me at AHI 37.7 and so far I'm running around 3-4 with a low of 1.2 and basically no leaks.

No real issues.  Set the min pressure to 8 and ramp to 6 and so far so good.

Just started with Sleepyhead.  Still learning and a long way to go.  Probably mostly concerned about how to get even better and what " even better" means.

I saw another post that said to insert an image from SH.  Not sure if I did it right but a recent one is below.

I've also got some SPO2 data if that might be interesting

Am I feeling better?  Yup, pretty much.  More than a little embarrassed at my hesitancy though!  Seems pretty silly in hindsight!

Thought and comments greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day IowaMC60. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It looks like you're off to a very good start. An AHI of 1.2 is pretty ideal - below 5 is regarded as clinically treated. The real question now is "How do you feel?" Most people take a while to feel the benefits of treatment - after all most of us had the disease for a long time before it was diagnosed and it takes time to undo the damage done.

It's strange how people go into denial about apnea and feel embarrassed. We all do it, but we wouldn't feel embarrassed about having appendicitis or some more "traditional" disease. The main thing is that we now have a diagnosis and a course of treatment which means we can keep this insidious disease at bay.
Post Reply Post Reply

.pdf   document3a.pdf (Size: 199.13 KB / Downloads: 27) Ok Slight mod here to revise the attachment made last night.

Thanks DeepBreathing,

I'm pretty struck by how important this topic seems to be, how relatively casually I'd treated it and how potentially widespread this question is.

Also my choice of user name seems pretty lame!

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using a DreamStation Auto for about 2 months and it has made a huge difference in how well I sleep. Before, I had great trouble sleeping through the night and felt exhausted most of the time. Using CPAP has allowed me to sleep through the night and feel much more rested during the day. Very glad that I accepted I had a problem and took steps to correct it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2017, 01:36 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Great story, SlepyOzzy. Welcome to Apnea Board. We have seen lots of evidence that CPAP therapy does indeed reduce the need for antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications. Sleep deprivation can lead to all kinds of mental health problems.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
After four years of my wonderful wife saying.."Sweetheart, you might have sleep apnea" I finally got tested.  My good friend, brother and Mom have all been diagnosed recently.  I tried my friends nasal mask and it was SUFFOCATING!!! YIKES.. With all that said, I finally decided to go get tested.  I had 16.9 AHI and was called in for a CPAP machine.  My brother said just breathe normally... Two nights is all it took!!! I feel great and wished I wasn't as hardheaded 4 years ago!
Post Reply Post Reply
I was in the hospital overnight 13 years ago and they suggested that I should get tested.
I arranged a sleep study and they discovered I stopped breathing hundreds of times during the night.
I have been a constant user of CPAPs and now APAPs for every night since Sleep Apnea Diagnosis.
My current machine is the DreamStation with humidifier.m It works great.
I just got the new DreamWear mask and I love it. finally do not have a hose under my chin.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 153 5 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,623 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,830 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 548 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.