Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
After only 2 nights, I stayed awake and alert through a movie for the first time in years. I can now read more than a few minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve been been on the CPAP machine for a month. Could never get a good seal. First tried nasal pillows then a mask.   Finally got a different mask that was larger by 1/4 inch in each direction and it solved my leak problem. The good things my numbers are heading south.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2018, 09:01 AM)GordK Wrote: I was told that diligent use of CPAP Therapy can contribute to improved cardiac health and add years to my life.

That's so true. That, and improvement in the quality of life, are the two big reasons for making the commitment. Failure to commit is the biggest obstacle to success.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used my apap machine (resmed for her) for two nights. I am a different person. I cannot tell you how thankful I am for this forum. I have stalked it for 2weeks learning everything I could getting a crash course. (all those 1st time tips were so helpful).  

I have been a nurse for 20 years working either shift work or traveling for all these years. I thought being tired was normal. It was the change in time zones or shift work. Yeah I know. I was on the slow bus. I thought headaches were normal. I have had multiple lab tests, migraine med's, anti-depressants etc and usually I get "take more B12....add more iron" Anti-depressants not really making a difference. After one of my miscarriages and my hgb was low I thought I was going to die. Now, knowing about OSA, I don't know how I recovered. (have two fab boys now they are 9 and 11). Always snored. Husband is almost deaf in one ear, so he puts his good ear down and we can stay in the same room. I am 5ft 4 and 136 pounds - so not obese.

I decided to go to a new PCP last month. I asked for sleeping pills and a new anti-depressant....and on day one she nailed my sleep apnea. I thought she was totally off base. But because my BP was high (for the first time ever), she said we need to rule out OSA before we take the next step to evaluate my high BP. Of course I left without the sleeping pills...knowing I was coming back for them.

I had a bad experience with two DME's back to back. Got that used car salesman feel...sign here for your monthly fee FOREVER. My deducible is high and at the start of my year so I was paying no matter what. My insurance wanted 10mth rental first - which would have cost me 1,675.00 out of pocket when a new machine is 900 ish. So after seeing the two machines to choose from and two masks to try for 1st month then one mask every 90 days after that...well I found you guys and Supplier #1 and the rest is history. I bought a machine and masks (from yalls suggestions) that I could return, downloaded sleepyhead and jumped in head first. My doc has agreed to follow my path for now, but sure she will make her decision on my next visit after she reviews my reports.

I have not had a headache in two days. Normally I have them for days at a time. But most important I feel good. I mean good ...like ...at peace inside. I am not talking to myself all day trying to stay awake or stay focused. I am actually in a good mood!

It was a hard first night and last night was hard too. I swallowed air, had a lot of anxiety and stared at the ceiling wondering what in the XX I had gotten into. I couldn't shake that I likely have given this to my boys too. Being the only girl in the house I take pride in being "the girl". I was so shattered to wear that mask and looking like a pig. But my boys and my husband have been great. They say I look like a cool fighter-pilot. Fighter pilots are cool to boys at 9 and 11. So hey, I am going to take it.

I am so glad I jumped into this. At first I did it for my boys, then I did it for me. I cannot image feeling any better, but my forum friends tell me to just wait and see. It does get better. I know too soon to tell, but I think I am on the right track AHI .3 on day one and .2 on day two. Now waiting to see if my BP lowers.

Oh and I don't think I need those sleeping pills anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Johnie - Welcome
Good to here your success.  Sounds like you are on a roll.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Johnie,
From another newbie (2 months on CPAP)...Welcome to feeling better. I have noticed a marked improvement in my afternoon tiredness and look forward to turning the corner for good all the time.
I am envious of your AHI numbers. I  have had only one 0.92. Most have been under 4 but my most recent changes have had the past week at less than 2 consistently.
I would be ecstatic to get less than 1 routinely.
Take care and enjoy your journey!

GordK
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 01:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 09:01 AM)GordK Wrote: I was told that diligent use of CPAP Therapy can contribute to improved cardiac health and add years to my life.

That's so true. That, and improvement in the quality of life, are the two big reasons for making the commitment. Failure to commit is the biggest obstacle to success.

Hi Sleepster,
 The commitment part is something brought up by my Sleep Tech and I understand the need for that. I am accustomed to being diligent with my health and have committed to staying on track for heart health and diabetes management (8 years and counting).
Regarding CPAP...I am in with both feet!
 Take care.

GordK
Post Reply Post Reply
HI Everyone, 
I'm new to this so please bear with me. This is my second time on cpap, have been on it now for 51 nights which seems like a lot to me but if its for the rest of my life, its just the beginning! 5 years ago I started, lasted 4 months gave it up due to problems with claustrophobia using a nose mask and then pillows. My friend went for a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea I told him how important it was for his health! What a hypocrite I am! So I started back, had my machine checked out and bought a full mask. Since I started back I have had a lot of good nights and a few bad. I find this time I'm somewhat obsessed with sleep apnea and cpap. I am constantly on the internet looking up every thing about these topics. Have downloaded sleepyhead and dreammapper. Things are better though, no need for nightly bathroom visits, no sleeping in front of the t.v. I know the health benefits associated with using cpap. I take 1 night at a time and hope to make this a part of my life. That's why I believe making some online friends here will help me with my ups and downs and in return if I could help some people great! Thanks for your time and hope to be a contributing member.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2018, 08:17 AM)lasalle Wrote: HI Everyone, 
I'm new to this so please bear with me. This is my second time on cpap, have been on it now for 51 nights which seems like a lot to me but if its for the rest of my life, its just the beginning! 5 years ago I started, lasted 4 months gave it up due to problems with claustrophobia using a nose mask and then pillows. My friend went for a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea I told him how important it was for his health! What a hypocrite I am! So I started back, had my machine checked out and bought a full mask. Since I started back I have had a lot of good nights and a few bad. I find this time I'm somewhat obsessed with sleep apnea and cpap. I am constantly on the internet looking up every thing about these topics. Have downloaded sleepyhead and dreammapper. Things are better though, no need for nightly bathroom visits, no sleeping in front of the t.v. I know the health benefits associated with using cpap. I take 1 night at a time and hope to make this a part of my life. That's why I believe making some online friends here will help me with my ups and downs and in return if I could help some people great! Thanks for your time and hope to be a contributing member.

Welcome
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
Welcome to the CPAP Journey! You are just behind me...I am at day 62 of the trip.
I am finding similar results as to what you mention...less get ups at night, less afternoon fatigue.
It is a daily event that I am at the pc looking up different things related to sleep apnea, Spo2 readings etc. I have started a collection of Spo2 charts (I have not mastered getting Spo2 data into Sleepyhead directly yet on Linux) so I can see/show off those results with an interested party (Sleep Tech or MD).
I too, am in for the long haul and have embraced my therapy with both hands and an open mind. I have a cervical collar and a wedge pillow to improve my AHI readings. 
I am going to have to rent a U-Haul on vacation to get all my CPAP stuff packed! LOL

I regularly review this forum for tidbits of info and comments from others on the trip. I am finding that my experiences are not that far off from what others are asking or providing as answers to us "Newbs".

I am looking forward to improved heart health and just feeling better overall with adequate sleep and rest.
I hope you find the same.
Take care.

GordK
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 117 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,606 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 169 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.