Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
So glad you got good AHI results.  I went about 6 weeks with not good reports on my machine.  I changed my mask then got a chin strap--no joy.  BUT on May 7 while talking to the rep at my DME supplier he commented that my EPR was not on.  I'll set it at 3, he said.
   Voila!  After that, great results, no red frowny face and low AHIs, and scores in the mid to high 90s.  Why didn't he do that the first week I had my machine?

This EPR backs the pressure off when you exhale.  Made all the difference.

Glad you are doing well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have lurked every so often but never made an account. I am treated through the VA and my wife wanted me to ask the doctor about CPAP. The VA doctor said it is rare for someone young to have it, snoring doesn't indicate sleep apnea, that a sleep study would be a waste of time and an inconvenience fo me. My wife took video of me sleeping and I took it back to my doctor. I got my sleep study and was put on CPAP. Fortunately for me, I took to CPAP the first day. It's been about five years now and my wife and children love my "snoring machine."
Post Reply Post Reply
Good story Sy52. I would categorically disagree with your doctor's old advise, and we have a number of members that do not fit the stereotype of someone with apnea. Thin, young people can be affected for any number of reasons. Nor is apnea always obstructive. I hope that doctor has found an appropriate specialty where he can do more good than harm. Welcome.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on CPAP for 19 days now and am very hopeful.   I've had ME/CFS for over 30 years so I'm not expecting CPAP to be a miracle cure for that.    My CFS has been on a downward spiral the past three years, to where I've been spending most of my time in bed again and my sweet husband schleps me around for shopping and appointments.     But now I'm beginning to wonder if this recent CFS relapse might actually be  attributed to the apnea.

I'm pretty blown away by how much my cognitive function has improved the past week.    I feel like I'm starting to come out of a coma!     My energy and stamina is also starting to improve and I  don't get nearly as winded.      I even drove somewhere today by myself for the first time in over a year.   Whohoo!   

So now  I'm curious to see if I'll continue to improve even more since they say it takes at least 3 months for the full effect.    I'm also hoping this will cure my pulmonary hypertension,  which is what led to the sleep apnea diagnosis in the first place.    

This forum has been fantastic!   You all really helped me get through that rough first week wrestling with masks and leaks and whatnot.     Now, my machine is my new best friend.   Smile     

To anyone struggling with it, please don't give up!    You may feel that you aren't  feeling sick enough to warrant the hassle,   but I'm proof that this thing can lead to serious cardio vascular problems if left untreated.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Great story, Suzi... thanks for the post.  It will definitely encourage others to stick with it.

Well-done
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on APAP for 3 months and feel great! I noticed improvement starting with the first night of therapy and have been doing well ever since - fatigue is completely gone! I have been using the Dreamwear nasal cushion (the pillows caused discomfort, so went with the cushion). 

It took several weeks to get used to wearing the headgear/cushion. Also, I don't think my DME told me about using the feature to preheat the humidifier, so first few weeks had pretty bad nasal dryness.

AHI is almost always under 1, with no obstructive events. I played around with settings to try to get 0 AHI, but found that removing EPR seemed to increase effort to exhale so that I'd prefer to exhale through my mouth, which would then wake me. I went back to EPR of 3 and everything has been well.

Also, with the nasal cushions for the Dreamwear, I found the small cushion felt the best and was the "right" size based on the sizing template provided. However, the opening into the nose is rather small and I felt like it took an inordinate amount of effort to inhale. Medium cushion was much better from the standpoint of breathing, but it was too big and would move around and leak. So, I went back to a small cushion and used scissors to cut away and enlarge the opening that sits against the nose. This dramatically improved the effort related to inhaling.

I cannot overstate how much better I feel, and I tell everyone that I regard my APAP as the Fountain of Youth!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2018, 06:16 AM)Coffee Man Wrote: I cannot overstate how much better I feel, and I tell everyone that I regard my APAP as the Fountain of Youth!

And here I thought you were going to say that COFFEE was your "fountain of youth" (given your username)...

lots-o-coffee

Ah, well, welcome to Apnea Board - anyone who drinks coffee is a friend of mine fer sure!
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Hello everybody.

What a delight for me to see so many of you with the same sleep problems as I have. I don't feel alone anymore, THANK YOU ALL!!!! Thanks

But first; my name is René, I'm a man and 51 years young. I'm a teacher and live and work on Aruba. I'm married and have three daughters, three step-daughters and two granddaughters, who are all (except for one) living in the Netherlands.

Last summer, while I was on vacation in Fort Lauderdale, I had a very bad night, waking up in the middle with a feeling that an elephant was sitting on me. I couldn't breath good. The next day I went to a doctor and he send me directly to intensive care from the hospital because he said it looked like a heart attack. In the hospital they found out that my heart had atrium fibrilations but there where no signes of an attack.

Back home, on Aruba, I went to a cardiologist and to a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist send me to Colombia for a sleeping test. We can not do that here on Aruba. The tests showed me having severe sleeping apnea with AHI 41.6. So I was put on a waiting-list for an CPAP machine ... Waiting-list because the provider and the health insurance company here are having problems with each other about ... money!
After another bad night I ended up in the hospital again, now on Aruba. They told me that I needed a CPAP a.s.a.p. but there weren't any ... I went looking and found one to rent, a ResMed AirSense 10 autoset. 
With help from the board I got the software to read the SDcard and I could set it to my desired pressure (they told me in Colombia that the pressure had to be set between 8 and 10) so I set it on 9. I never had slept so good in such a long time!
After a week, and a very angry letter from me to the Health Insurance Company, I got a call that my CPAP machine was ready to be picked up at the OSAS clinic.
I got the DeVilbiss DV54 AutoAdjust CPAP for a week to set my pressure. The nurse set the highest level on 17 and so ... I woke up sometimes during the night with an air filled feeling and very light in the head. After telling this to my nurse she gave me another machine, the DeVilbiss DV53 Standard Plus and she set the maximum level to 10.
Now I sleep better but the ResMed was much better because it was set to APAP instead of CPAP.

My question is now can I set my DeVilbiss DV53 Standard Plus to APAP or not because I feel that I don't need the constant pressure on 10?

Thanks again for all the stories and advices so far, I'll keep on reading and searching.

Cheers to everyone,
René Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2018, 05:58 PM)rkannegieter Wrote: Hello everybody.

My question is now can I set my DeVilbiss DV53 Standard Plus to APAP or not because I feel that I don't need the constant pressure on 10?

Thanks again for all the stories and advices so far, I'll keep on reading and searching.

Cheers to everyone,
René Smile

Rene, first of all congrats on living a life that lets you call Aruba home!  this kind of question belongs in it's own thread, but I agree that what you need is the Airsense 10 Autoset, and using the free #Sleepyhead software, we could help you find the kind of bliss with your CPAP therapy that you enjoy with the rest of your life.  The data is empowering, and with the Resmed, we would probably find some limits to the maximum pressure and you'd be very happy.   Supplier #2 ships internationally and has great prices on the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Unfortunately your therapist has now downgraded you to a machine that is fixed pressure.  I think letting that happen is a mistake.  If you have the ability to purchase the Airsense 10 Autoset, we will be glad to help you get the therapy you need.  I think our price is right, and we can probably do better for you.  Meanwhile, enjoy the sunsets until Hurricane season.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
He can enjoy the sunsets year round - Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are out of the hurricane belt.  

Bon bini!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 114 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,597 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 168 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 545 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.