Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Are you brewing?  Are you going to be at Homebrewconin Providence in June?

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Two of my friends brew. I provide food and entertainment- and taste test later. We're starting an oatmeal stout this weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tell them you were chatting with one of the Governing Committee members and featured in Denny's Homebrewing All Stars.

Fred

Oatmeal stout that is a nice smooth style.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do, Fred!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi People,

I've been tested for apnea on december 10th 2018.  The test came back positive with an IAH of 56 which is severe, as the Respiratory Therapist told me (and as you folks know).  I started with a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and since, it's been a miracle. It took me only 6 days to get used to it. At first, I had to change my mask size besause it was too small (there was 3 sizes in the bag they gave me); the Therapist told me to use the smaller one because I have a small nose: that thing was blocking my nostrils so I changed it for the medium one. It was successful! From 56 IAH it fell to 1.3 the first night of use, and still have around the same values.  Man, it is so efficient that I would still stay in bed prolonging my sleep instead starting my day, but this time it's not because  I feel like a wreck when I wake up, it's more like I feel good. So don't give up! Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi! I've been lurking around here for a month or so, and thought this might be a good first post!

I'm UK-based, and I've been a CPAP user for a month now. After getting over the oddness of being connected to some tubes and having a mask on while sleeping, the difference it's made has been amazing.

I hadn't really noticed the exhaustion and permanent tiredness, it was just a thing that happened over several years. Spending 2hrs+ 'waking up' in the morning wasn't unusual, I was having a nap every evening I could, I was taking micro-naps at every opportunity and my sleep pattern was quite, quite broken.

A couple of things happened that really made me think I wasn't behaving like me any more and my partner started *really* complaining about the noises I was making when I slept, so I booked an appointment with GP who referred me to the Sleep Disorders Clinic at Guys Hospital. It took about 3 months for an appointment where I was given a pulse oximeter to wear for 2 nights and told the possible outcomes - CPAP, mouth-guard thingie, or for mild apnea the less invasive options.

Roll forward about another 2 months and I get an appt to pick up a CPAP machine. The tech at the clinic told me that my AHI was around 32, based off the oximeter. They went through the basics and I'm on my own. It's a pretty default setup - pressure from 4-20, ramp off, EPR off. Literally within days I noticed the difference. The AHI the machine records is ~1-3, and I feel like I'm able to function as a normal human being again.

I totally notice the difference between the nights where I sleep through and keep it on all night, versus the nights where I wake up and take it off and can't be bothered putting it back on again. But even those mornings aren't as bad as they were.

I wanted to post this to say that if you feel like I did - exhausted no matter how much sleep you have, unable to wake up in the mornings, behaviour changes - then please go and see your GP. There's no reason to let it take over your life and you can have a better life.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2019, 07:15 AM)phil99 Wrote: I totally notice the difference between the nights where I sleep through and keep it on all night, versus the nights where I wake up and take it off and can't be bothered putting it back on again. But even those mornings aren't as bad as they were.

Way to go! And it should get even better, and easier, over the next weeks and months, until you too are a happy papper.

Welcome

I'm surprised that the usual Welcome Wagon hasn't been around yet to greet you and offer virtual coffee & donuts. Possibly the bad weather has delayed it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2019, 10:25 AM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: I'm surprised that the usual Welcome Wagon hasn't been around yet to greet you and offer virtual coffee & donuts.  Possibly the bad weather has delayed it.

The dog sled team needed a break from the cold weather, and the dogs ate the donuts, so the welcome wagon was somewhat delayed. Grin

phil99 - welcome to Apnea Board! Have a cup of "joe" on us... Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys. I was diagnosed with very severe OSA last January 18, 2019 and have been on CPAP since January 26. I'm so grateful to have known about the treatment from my daughter who's at med school and she and my wife encouraged me to go on a sleep study where my Respiratory Disturbance Index was 110.2 per hour. I was shocked when the sleep doctor put this in context by saying that there are only 60 minutes in an hour. Now imagine having almost 2 sleep disturbance events per minute! That explained my hellish "zombie" state during the day.

Fast forward 29 days later, I am seeing huge positive effects being on CPAP therapy using my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. The realization that there was an effective treatment for sleep apnea almost brought me to tears. For so long I have suffered its merciless effects. I was resigned to feelings of fatigue and sleepiness, day after day. I felt helpless and blamed it on age (I'm 50) and being overweight. I feel great now, not 100% but a world of difference from before my treatment! My goal is to reduce weight. My CPAP challenge at this time is mostly keeping large leaks under control but my AHI has been under 5, except during the time when I had cold. My sleep doctor was pleased. The Resmed AirTouch Cushion was so comfortable I sometimes slept right through large leaks and only realized it later when viewed on SleepyHead.

I am happy and thankful for this board and thanks also for SleepyHead!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Isn't it amazing what a difference CPAP makes?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 8 122 46 minutes ago
Last Post: DKane
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,613 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,825 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 169 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.