Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
There are several spikes during the night, but only one or two go beyond the "acceptable" threshold. Most of them fall in the middle. I discovered that my mask was leaking when I turned on my side and had to tighten the top of the head gear slightly. Now it doesn't seem to be leaking.

I suspect that most of the problem is mouth breathing. I catch myself doing it once in awhile, and that's probably where the majority of the "leaks" are coming from. I've tried a chin strap, however, but it doesn't seem to keep my mouth closed. I'm wondering if there's a way to maybe tape my mouth shut or something, but that seems a bit drastic.

What's odd to me, however, is that most of my problems seem to happen in the last couple hours of sleep, around five or six a.m., when I generally start waking up anyway.

Overall, I have to say that I feel MUCH more alert during the day, and better able to focus, although I do get slightly sleepy around three or four o'clock in the afternoon. Normally, however, I'd be ready for a long nap by 1 p.m.

I'm just hoping the sleepiness will completely disappear in time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 07:01 PM)robgb Wrote: I've tried a chin strap, however, but it doesn't seem to keep my mouth closed. I'm wondering if there's a way to maybe tape my mouth shut or something, but that seems a bit drastic.

Taping is a foolish and dangerous practice. Give the chinstrap more time to work. A little bit of mouth-leaking is not a big deal, and it will subside with time.

Quote:I'm just hoping the sleepiness will completely disappear in time.

Things will continue to improve. You just have to be patient and appreciate the progress you've made so far.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleepster. Right now, I'm happy that for the first time in a couple of decades I feel I'm finally getting some decent sleep.

Thanks for your support!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Pending
No success story yet - and it's flustrating. Oh-jeez The story so far: they told me that once they snag the invoice for my S9 Escape lost somewhere in transit between my supplier and the government, then I can be issued an AutoSet. Whenever that is. So today I approached a different source. Their respiratory therapist made an appointment for me on March 1 and hopefully I'll be able to get one that way.

And then I'll return the Escape model to VitalAire and tell them, you snooze you lose. I feel like I've been taken advantage of and it's time to stop. The people at ProResp seem willing to help. I'm glad that VitalAire wasn't my only option. Although - it's not in my hot little hands yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Diagnosed with a moderate level sleep apnea. Tried a dental device from my dentist and that worn down after one year in which I switched every so often to wear it. Recently had a physical and my red blood cell count was so high my doctor said my blood was like mud...plus my blood pressure was excessively high (and I'm on medication for it).
Doc said: "You have to get on that machine or you're going to die." I said: "What machine?" CPAP!
Went to see ENT doctor who initially prescribed a dental device and approved my prescription for CPAP.
Can't describe how well I feel in the morning. I wake up after eight hours of rest where it used to be half that....and even though I'm "tired"...I'm not incapacitated. The nasal mask fits perfectly. I may have a difficult night but I will adjust the mask and go right back to sleep. I don't allow myself to be frustrated because my body needs the oxygen to be healthy and I'd like to see my daughter married with kids later in life.
CPAP works if you allow yourself to help it work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good report, alamocity! Glad CPAP is making a big difference in your life. It's certainly worth it. Not everyone has the "oh wow" feeling after first starting on CPAP like you did, but many do.

Welcome
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Question, I keep my hoses and pillows clean but recently I am having problems with my sinuses, as if there is something up in there. sneezing runny nose! Takes two days to straighten up. The humidifier is working . Can anyone help with my problem? Thanks Beanman
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told I'd probably have cold-like symptoms until I got used to the unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a ResMed S9 AutoSet with H5i humidifier, climate tubing, and a Puritan Breeze nasal pillow (L) mask.

My doctor said he was pretty sure I had apnea. Because of lousy insurance, I could not afford the sleep study. My older brothers are on cpap therapy. My uncle and some of my cousins are as well. A few months after I got into it, I got my best friend to start. Unfortunately, everyone has had a sleep study but me. I opted to bypass insurance and buy my own cpap machine. I did a lot of research and settled on the ResMed S9 AutoSet, because I wanted it to adjust for me. I will be very honest and admit that it took me quite awhile to get over the initial weirdness of using cpap, such as darth vader, scuba diving, jet pilot, and face hugger dreams. I also have pretty much gotten over my phobia of sucking a spider up my nose during therapy.

When I first started, I had whole numbers such as an AHI of 8.3 or 6.2 or 5.8 that date back to August of last year. Getting the Breeze mask made it much easier to sleep. I am now completely use to it. I wear it from 5-8 hours a night. i typically do not get a full 8 hours a night.

My numbers from this last month have been AHI of .0 (2/20), .1, .2, 3., .0, .5, .1, .4, .1, .6, .1, .0, .5, .0, .3, .6, .2, .2 (2/01) All those days combined my LEAK was 7.2 and my PRESSURE was 11.8.

I now can download and study my detailed info and see how my therapy is going throughout each night. I get obstructive mostly (12 seconds max), but now and then I get a central.

As far as my energy and feeling sleepy during the day, I feel it has definitely improved. Even when i removed my mask in the night, my wife says I don't snore anymore. My mouth stays closed. I use to get very sleepy, like 'falling asleep at stop lights' sleepy. I haven't done that in months now.

My brothers and my best friend has definitely benefited from it as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2013, 07:52 PM)Beanman Wrote: Question, I keep my hoses and pillows clean but recently I am having problems with my sinuses, as if there is something up in there. sneezing runny nose! Takes two days to straighten up. The humidifier is working . Can anyone help with my problem? Thanks Beanman

This could be from irritation around the nostrils where the pillows touch them. I have very sensitive nostrils. I used barrier cream, medical cream they use for oxygen patients, chapstick, even a special latex coating (low amonia for face application)...none of this worked until i bought CHAP ICE medicated from the dollar store. It is thicker than chapstick, and it works perfectly. Now no irritation waking me at night. No sneezing. No sores in the morning. I am prone to allergies, and i take Zyrtec during high pollen in the spring as well. Also, try a Vick's inhaler at night about ten minutes before putting on your mask. It can help clear you up. I did that for the first couple months but now i don't need it. I still use the chap ice tho.

Also, and this is a biggy, try lowering your air pressure. If you have an autoset just lower the low number which will allow your system to try that range. I find that my AHI numbers are better as my system uses a lower pressure. This fluctuates but not by much.

so I would summarize by saying:

1. Lower air pressure
2. Wrap your tubing to insulate it (if it is not climate already)
This keeps your air moist all the way into your body.
3. Chap ICE around the nostrils
4. A few sniffs up each nostril of Vick's inhaler about ten minutes before masking up.

Good luck and don't quit, it gets better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 148 3 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,618 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,828 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.