Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Just a note regarding ozone cleaners. ResMed is specifically excluding the use of ozone cleaners from it’s warranty coverage. If you google the topic you will find the type of cleaner it does recommend.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nohypopneanow, congratulations on your success with apnea therapy! You got lucky with your Lexington DME, didn't you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2020, 10:54 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Nohypopneanow, congratulations on your success with apnea therapy!  You got lucky with your Lexington DME, didn't you!

Yes!  I am very thankful for my ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with a ClimateLine heated air tube.  The CPAP/APAP tech told me they want to get things right the first time and not make people wade through all kinds of office visits and the trying of different machines.  

This APAP machine has been a life changer for me.  Moreover, my wife is as happy as I am since all of this affects her, too.  We forget often to mention Sleep Apnea affects the whole family.

I am very happy.

I should mention again this all didn't happen overnight.  My sleep test was June 21st, 2018, my CPAP was given to me July 26, 2018.  This all happened in Michigan.  I saw a CPAP/APAP tech in Lexington, KY September 20th, 2019 and having been using an APAP since that September 20th, 2019 date.

By the way, I use following things:
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset - part 37208 with Climate Line heated air tube   - or 37207 with regular tube 
HumidAir Heated Cleanable Tub - part 37300  - can take the heat of the dishwasher
AirSense 10 CPAP Side Cover for traveling and not using the above humidifier tub - part 37303
Hypoallergenic Filters for the APAP - 12 pack - part 36857
ResMed AirSense 10 Climate Line Air tubing - part 37296
Replacement power pack for APAP - part 37344
Replacement power cord for above power pack - part 33938
ResMed AirSense travel power converter (cigarette lighter and battery use @ 12 or 24 volt source) - part 37297
AirTouch F20 Full Face Mask - Medium - full headgear, cushion and elbow -  part 63001
AirTouch F20 Medium Cushion - part 63029
Use RemZzzs Medium mask liner - K2-FM - lifesaver if you are having leak problems or have sensitive skin
Use UPG Battery UB12350 at 35 amp hours for emergencies and camping - Item D5722 from UPG Battery -
       using this battery means turning off the heated humidifier and the heated Climate Line air tube for four nights of 
        use.  I also have a small digital 6 amp charger for this - 6 amps takes longer, but the battery lasts longer.
Pad A Cheek Neck and Cheek covering - part 110-NECKO--00 - keeps the lower straps from touching my cheeks and neck - wonderful.
ResMed AirSense 10 Air Filter Cover - part 19729 for charcoal color -  You probably will need this sometime in the future.  The filter hinge pins are easy to break.  Open carefully!!!  No sudden snaps.  This is what broke mine.

I am using the ResScan program to track my results.  I can clearly see how much better the ResMed APAP is over my ResMed CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2020, 09:38 PM)JinMHK Wrote: Welp, it took 2 years of being on CPAP to get some success stories, so here they are. 

-snip-  

Let's hope this continues for a good long time.

A one-month update on my new-found success.  Since switching to the ResMed pillows at the first of the year, my AHI numbers have been...Mah-velous!  My January simple average AHI is 1.01.  My max during the month was a 2.3 and 2.1, during a long, wearing weekend in a hotel.  My low was a fanstastic 0.2 (1 Clear Airway, 1 hypopnea in 7.5 hours of sleep).  My last 2 weeks average has been 0.7.

I went to my DME/Therapist for a new pillow, and she did a quick look at my numbers and asked if I wanted to stop using CPAP, because these numbers are really low.  I think I'll have to have more success before I take this up with my other Docs..I'm sure my Cardiologist won't be too hot for this idea.

And, No, I'm not attributing this to the ResMeds.  Since my heart attacks, I've been in cardiac rehab, including cardio exercise, fat loss, muscle gain, and some core body work.  I think the weight loss and core strength training is doing most of this, but what do I know.  I'm just enjoying sleeping better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jin, it’s great to hear you are doing so well! Ignore your DME person. It’s like saying, “Gee, that insulin is really keeping your diabetes under control; why don’t you stop taking it?” And before you even considered such a step, you would want another sleep study.

Keep on keepin’ on. You are doing great!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2020, 09:51 PM)JinMHK Wrote: I went to my DME/Therapist for a new pillow, and she did a quick look at my numbers and asked if I wanted to stop using CPAP, because these numbers are really low. 

That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard!

The low numbers are evidence that the CPAP therapy is working.

She should be reported for incompetence.

CPAP is not a cure, it's a therapy. When you stop the therapy the sleep apnea returns. Immediately.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2020, 06:58 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 09:51 PM)JinMHK Wrote: I went to my DME/Therapist for a new pillow, and she did a quick look at my numbers and asked if I wanted to stop using CPAP, because these numbers are really low. 

That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard!

The low numbers are evidence that the CPAP therapy is working.

She should be reported for incompetence.

CPAP is not a cure, it's a therapy. When you stop the therapy the sleep apnea returns. Immediately.
Just an aside to this.  

March of 2018 I had a physical.  Part of that was a pulmonary function test.  The tester was doing a voluntary survey of 24 questions and asked if I would participate about my breathing and sleep habits.  Wow!!!  Was I glad I said yes.  I had 19 positives out of 24.

It was June before I could get tested.  The place did 12 hotel like rooms a night with one sleep tech to  two rooms.  
I am 5'10"
I am 180 pounds
I am not obese

The tester told me that it used to be that people like me would NOT even be considered for sleep testing since I wasn't obese.

I reported at 8:30 pm, was wired at 9:30pm and asleep around 10:00pm.  At 12:30 am I was fitted with a nasal mask and a Velcro chin strap.  Next thing I knew it was 5:30 am and the sleep test was done.  

My test showed a 77AHI and I was told anything above 30 is severe.  Wow!

I was setup for getting a CPAP and received it by the end of July 2018.  My sleep life has been improving since then.

I am now using an APAP with even better results and consistently having AHI's of less than 5.  My APAP treatment is working.  It is not a cure, but a treatment for a chronic (ongoing) condition.

I won't travel anywhere without my APAP.  I even have a power adapter so I can use it if my wife is driving on a longer trip.  I take out the humidifier and put in the ResMed replacement end plate so I am not sloshing around with water.

There is no getting better or being cured, just treated.   I am so thankful for that respiratory therapist asked me the right questions and getting me on the road to being treated.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is an amazing site/resource!

I am about to embark on this journey also.

I had a first sleep study performed three years ago. I had an AHI of 57 and both CSA and OSA were observed.
But, I slept so poorly during the study and was in full denial so I decided to ignore the problem. I was freshly retired at age 56 and thought my sleeping would improve with my change in stress level and focus on fitness improvement with retirement.

Three years later, I am dating a physician, my sleep is even poorer, and I went back for a sleep study/titration at the first of the year using a traditional CPAP tested from levels of 4 to 11 throughout the night . Took almost two months for them to see me again to let me know that I my AHI was 54 during the titration study and that I likely needed several more titration studies including BiPap machines that would take another 2-6 months to schedule me for as they were very busy.

I have elected to go it alone. My new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto will arrive this week, I have an F30i mask. I will share with y'all my journey/adventure. I am so glad your apneaboard exists! I am a retired Mechanical Engineer from a major medical device manufacturer so hopefully with the help of this forum and my extensive research I will have some success in the next few weeks. Thanks again for the great site!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, and congratulations on accelerating your journey toward successful treatment! When you get your machine, be sure it has an SD card in it, and get Oscar set up on your computer, with an SD card-reader if necessary. See Oscar link at top of page.

Two tips for starting: (1) To start getting yourself used to the new experience, set up the machine during the day in a room different from your bedroom and use it while you read or watch TV or do something else you enjoy. Don't feel you must use it immediately at night if you suspect you're not quite ready (though of course jump in if you want to). (2) Check the pressure settings (see link for set-up manuals at the top of the page). You want a starting pressure of at least 6 or 7 -- not 4, as may be the default.

As for additional settings, a lot may depend on what showed up in your sleep study. After you have a few days of Oscar night-time data, start a new thread with a post including your redacted sleep study, a Daily chart from Oscar, and some information about the subjective experiences you're having. The experts here will be happy to help you fine-tune the settings, and all of us can help you figure out solutions to the inevitable snags that come our way.

Onward!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2020, 12:19 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Welcome, and congratulations on accelerating your journey toward successful treatment!  When you get your machine, be sure it has an SD card in it, and get Oscar set up on your computer, with an SD card-reader if necessary.  See Oscar link at top of page.

Two tips for starting:  (1)  To start getting yourself used to the new experience, set up the machine during the day in a room different from your bedroom and use it while you read or watch TV or do something else you enjoy.  Don't feel you must use it immediately at night if you suspect you're not quite ready (though of course jump in if you want to).  (2)  Check the pressure settings (see link for set-up manuals at the top of the page).  You want a starting pressure of at least 6 or 7 -- not 4, as may be the default.  

As for additional settings, a lot may depend on what showed up in your sleep study.  After you have a few days of Oscar night-time data, start a new thread with a post including your redacted sleep study, a Daily chart from Oscar, and some information about the subjective experiences you're having.  The experts here will be happy to help you fine-tune the settings, and all of us can help you figure out solutions to the inevitable snags that come our way.

Onward!

Thank you Dormeo, great suggestions.  I am ready to jump in.   Thank you.   I will make a copy of my titration report (redacted) and upload.  I downloaded Oscar to my main PC, but will download it today to my laptop as it has a SD card reader.  Where is the appropriate place to either start a thread or post on an existing thread to get some "suggestions" as to starting points on.... for instance.... lets say a Resmed 10 VAuto... if one was embarking on this odyssey on his own starting later this week?   I wish to state I am NOT looking for medical advice.  I have both a  great female Primary Care Physician and a wonderful physician GF, both females provide me with all I need in terms of personal and medical "advice" on a regular basis.  Hahahha.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 158 9 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,625 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,836 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 172 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 549 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.