Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
(03-25-2020, 09:54 AM)Dormeo Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 09:08 AM)giannie Wrote: Since my searches on this site didn't seem to find any discussion of false events by a CPAP machine, I thought I'd bring it up.

Try searching on "sleep wake junk."  Not the most intuitive way to do it, but you'll see a fair amount of information.  It's great you watched that Lanky Lefty video; I did too and learned a heck of a lot!

Thanks Dormeo. I found what you suggested. Just didn't know the terminolgy. Sometimes knowing how to pose the search is crucial. And yes, I watched Lanky Lefty's video. He is very informative and entertaining. Because I had to wait to get new equipment, his and other videos were a big help with my research, including selecting equipment and finding OSCAR and this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for this. 
First I have heard this.  The question is, why doesn't the durable medical suppliers tell us this?  My provider has an ozone-type cleaner on display on their counter.  

I was actually given one, but when I discovered it had an ozone generator in it, I was afraid to use it because of my lung condition.  Ozone is a great disinfectant, but can be very dangerous if inhaled.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2020, 11:46 PM)Grandpa1013 Wrote: Thank you for this. 
First I have heard this.  The question is, why doesn't the durable medical suppliers tell us this?  My provider has an ozone-type cleaner on display on their counter.  

I was actually given one, but when I discovered it had an ozone generator in it, I was afraid to use it because of my lung condition.  Ozone is a great disinfectant, but can be very dangerous if inhaled.

Ozone has also been known to damage CPAP machinery. Resmed recently indicated that it will not honor warranties due to damage caused by ozone cleaners. I believe my previous CPAP (9 years old) was damaged by my Soclean that I no longer use. It started making a whistling noise about a year after I started using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Soap and warm water.  Specialty CPAP soap or dish washing detergent. Let soak.  Scrub. Soak some more. Rinse.  Dry.  Repeat weekly or bi-weekly if you are Covid-19 paranoid or have a compromised immune system.  I use the Hurricane cpap dryer so I can wash everything from the water reservoir right to the nasal pillows at 8:00pm and be ready to sleep at 10:00 pm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2012, 03:33 PM)REMember Wrote: This is a success story I posted in 1998 on another forum. I guess it has to come with an asterisk because I'm struggling once again at the moment but I had a good 15-year run. I'll beat it again this time and be free once again - bet on it! Don't give up!!!! I wish you the best!

I've been scared to death to make this post; afraid that the changes I've seen will not last; afraid of yet again building up false hopes and afraid of being plunged back into the twilight world in which I've lived for the last 2 years. The changes seem real enough though so here goes.

History in a nutshell Sleep lab results in June of 96 showed I had OSA with 107 events/hour and, at no point during the night, did I sleep for more than a minute. CPAP worked beautifully for a period of 2 weeks at which point the results became quite inconsistent. Doctors at the sleep center did not recommend surgery for me and did not recommend a dental device. After 2 months of trying different antihistamines and decongestants to make the CPAP work, the sleep center threw in the towel and said, "We can't help you."

From August of 96 up to February of this year I was entirely unsupervised and the quality of my sleep continued to deteriorate. In October of last year, it became so bad that I was no longer capable of running my corporation and have been living off my savings for almost a year now. Results of a second sleep study in Feb of 98 showed 120 events/hour and I was referred to an ENT. The ENT, noting that I have very narrow airways, recommended 2 surgeries: a Submucus Resection of the Inferior Turbinates and a Nasal Valve Augmentation using ear cartilage. My postings on both of these procedures should be available through the search feature here.

OK, those of you who have been following my tragic little tale here have heard me repeatedly stating the the air from the CPAP didn't seem to be getting past my nose. I have implored the doctors following this board to respond - only one of which ever did. Oops, getting sidetracked here. Prior to giving the go ahead for the surgeries, I insisted on first ruling out all non-invasive procedures that may have been overlooked. My ENT consented to allow allergy testing to be performed even though no one - not my ENT, my primary care physician or myself - suspected I had any allergies because I showed no symptoms. The test results showed that I exhibited a moderate allergic reaction to all 13 substances I was tested for! My ENT proposed no treatment of the allergies but instead wanted to push forward with the surgeries. Upon hearing this, my primary care physician prescribed Allegra for the allergies.

I have had wonderful nights sleep for over 3 weeks now. The CPAP is now doing what it's supposed to do. I no longer feel like I'm breathing through a straw in the daytime, I've been awake and alert for the first time in years and I've been dreaming up a storm. I feel a bit like a Rip Van Winkle waking up to see the wreckage all around me of what was once my life. Everywhere I turn there are things piled up and left undone. I now have the energy to do them though, and have accomplished more in the last 2 weeks than I did in the prior year.

I am hopeful and jubilant and yet not taking this for granted. I am driving forward on the medical front for all I'm worth trying to ensure that my OSA will remain controllable yet I'm so, so afraid of backsliding. Though it's based on an entirely different condition, watching the movie Awakenings yesterday rocked me to my core.

Though I'm feeling cautiously hopeful, optimistic, relieved and so much more, my anger over the incompetent and negligent manner in which my treatment was handled is rising and is but a half step behind. I intend to fully indulge myself in that anger and blast everyone involved in the mishandling of my case, perhaps I'll even persue stronger measures, but right now I just don't have the time. I'm too busy rebuilding my business and my life. What I lost in income over the last 2 years is considerable. What I lost in terms of friendships and lost opportunities is immeasurable.

My reasons for posting all of this are twofold. The first is purely self-serving. Posting this on a public forum is helping me in ways I can't even express. Just as importantly though, perhaps even more importantly, it is for everyone for whom CPAP therapy has not worked or is not working. It is my hope that by relating what happened to me, you will not lose hope, that you will find the determination and the strength you need to see this fight through until the doctors find an answer that allows you to breathe and sleep once again.

Lastly, I want to take a moment to thank those who stood by me and continued to believe in me throughout this ordeal. I wish to especially thank my wife without whose love and support I'd never have made it this far. I love you dearly, sweetie.

Amazing. Thank you for sharing!
Post Reply Post Reply
like Sleep-well

Thanks for posting your story. You may be the one to help someone else.

Post Reply Post Reply
Continuing the good news, just had to share.   like

Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations! I hope you have many more.

Well-done
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using CPAP for 7 weeks. The first weeks were hard. Started with nasal cushions. A lot of air fro my mouth. Did better after changing to full face mask. 
Still a lot of air in mouth and stomach.
I slowly lowered the top pressure . At 12.5  ,I have .5 events per hour and minimal air swallowing.
Also had trouble with dry eyes. The mask has air exit on top which blows air upwards. I have fashioned a brim over the exit with duct tape. Problem solved.
I no longer snore, so husband is happy.

Robyn , Australia
Post Reply Post Reply
Robyn, congratulations on all this excellent problem-solving. This embodies the spirit of this forum community, I think. You are a real example to us all.

I especially appreciate your posting about your experience. This can be a huge help to other people. Isn’t the web something? You can have a major positive effect on the life of someone halfway around the world and not even know it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 144 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,618 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,827 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.