Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Thanx for the napping advise, I will try to stay up in the day so I sleep more at night
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been a while since I posted my success story so here's an update.

[Image: 60DayStats52513_zps91fbddcc.jpg]

BananaBananaBananaBananaBananaBanana

There's no way I could have achieved stats like this without all of the help I've gotten here.

Thanks

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I may get the prize because after getting my AHI down from 69 (at diagnosis) to 1 (ONE), I was able to risk doing a supervised withdrawal from antidepressants after 23 years+, and now I have an authentic life. The scoop: 1970s had 2 airway surgeries that created the Multi-level Severe Structural Sleep Apnea, but was undiagnosed until 2005 and then undertreated mostly because 1) no one knows what to do with mouth leaks and I am embarassed to list what I was advised and did-for mouth leaks 2) IMHO 99% sleep medicine docs don't get it and only want to sell the hardware.
But I digress: Due to irritability, poor sleep, poor executive functioning I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression in late 1970--treated with valiums, 1st gen antidepressants and therapy until 1990-2012 given Prozac, then another year trialing newer drugs. It wasn't until ~2009 that internet scholarly journals were available for me to begin piecing infomation together because I always wondered about the confluence of depression and bad sleep. I included a tiff file from a 2010 titrating PSGM that reported maybe I got 12% REM cycle and put me on BiPAP of 19/15. I have always been >100% compliant. The short story is that I now use a $4000 out of pocket custom full face mask that does not leak--and I have a life. Then went aganist wise psychiatrist to proclaim that I wanted to stop antidepressants which took 4 months of supervision, and I am doing great without brain fog, with awareness that I never dreamed about. Morale of the story: keep working at it and stay compliant but always try to improve the sleep you have. Whahoo.
Post Reply Post Reply
jrolli1509, well done and welcome, I was only on anti depressants for 3 years and nothing worked for me, the best day of my life was when I started CPAP. I believe anyone diagnosed with depression and either can't sleep or over sleeps should have a mandatory sleep study, just to rule out a sleep disorder. That won't happen because doctors and drug companies make so much money out of treating the symptoms rather than fixing the cause. I'm really glad you had the strong to go off the meds after that many years, we have to listen to our body and our brains and do what we think is right for us and not necessarily psychiatrist's.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Journey...so far
I've been on my CPAP for just over 3 weeks, and so far, it's been up and down. I at first struggled with the issue my mask not feeling right, but thankfully had two others I was given the night of my sleep study. They had me on the Wisp with the fabric frame, but it just didn't seem right for me. The extras I have are the Wisp with the plastic/silcone frame and the TueBlue (think that's the name). The TrueBlue is more comfortable on the nose, but I have not gotten leak issues figured out, while the other Wisp is more comfy and I have few leak issues.

Then, I struggled with not getting to sleep because I was so concentrated on my breathing, but thank God I found that if I listen to music before I go to sleep, I can ignore that noise and sleep well.

Last weekend I had a scare when I couldn't find my nose piece for my mask, so I had to go a night without it (not good). Found it the next morning, but the next two nights were hard to sleep (guess I was knocked out of rhythm...). That Sunday, however, I slept the best I have yet, and I could feel it that morning.

This has been an interesting journey so far, and I think slowly I'm getting used to my machine. My first couple nights were definitely the hardest, and as such I didn't meet the 4 hour mark, but I've been doing everything possible since. It doesn't help that I've kinda got two different sleep schedules going, since from Monday-Wednesday nights, I'm sleeping at my grandparents' (I go there Monday AM and stay through Thursday evening), then go to my dad's Thursday evening and stay until early Monday. During the week (at my grandparents' house), I'll usually get to bed around 11 or 11:30 (midnight at the very, very latest), and stay in bed until 8:30 or 9 am (some days I'm up a bit earlier/ later). On the weekend, however, I'm usually going to bed the same time, but end up almost always being up at 4:30 or 5 am since my dad gets up early (work or not) and between him and the animals, it's not easy staying asleep. I'll usually take a nap in the afternoon to #1 get some extra time in on the machine, and #2 I'm not getting enough sleep at night (plus we've got a male cat that, unless you cater to him, will stand and meow right by you...i.e., if I am laying with my back towards him, he will stand right by my ear and meow constantly, until I either sleep on my back so he can sleep on my chest, or turn to my other side..., he's a hellian at bed time but I do love him).

I've got an appointment on the 10th with my sleep doc, and I'm not sure what to expect as I think I've just missed the compliance requisite (though I've seen some say it's 70% and others say 90%, I was told it's 90%). Anyone on the BCBS-AL plan that may have a clue to which is right?

Sorry this is massive, but just figured I'd share what's happened so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2013, 05:37 PM)jrolli1509 Wrote: I may get the prize because after getting my AHI down from 69 (at diagnosis) to 1 (ONE), I was able to risk doing a supervised withdrawal from antidepressants after 23 years+, and now I have an authentic life. The scoop: 1970s had 2 airway surgeries that created the Multi-level Severe Structural Sleep Apnea, but was undiagnosed until 2005 and then undertreated mostly because 1) no one knows what to do with mouth leaks and I am embarassed to list what I was advised and did-for mouth leaks 2) IMHO 99% sleep medicine docs don't get it and only want to sell the hardware.
But I digress: Due to irritability, poor sleep, poor executive functioning I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression in late 1970--treated with valiums, 1st gen antidepressants and therapy until 1990-2012 given Prozac, then another year trialing newer drugs. It wasn't until ~2009 that internet scholarly journals were available for me to begin piecing infomation together because I always wondered about the confluence of depression and bad sleep. I included a tiff file from a 2010 titrating PSGM that reported maybe I got 12% REM cycle and put me on BiPAP of 19/15. I have always been >100% compliant. The short story is that I now use a $4000 out of pocket custom full face mask that does not leak--and I have a life. Then went aganist wise psychiatrist to proclaim that I wanted to stop antidepressants which took 4 months of supervision, and I am doing great without brain fog, with awareness that I never dreamed about. Morale of the story: keep working at it and stay compliant but always try to improve the sleep you have. Whahoo.
Great job, you are amazing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All,

I am a 100# over weight, 50 year old, in a high stress medical job, with a long history of exhaustion and insomnia (Ambien since 2005 - religiously-don't mess with my Ambien). I have been telling my doc(s) for YEARS that something wasn't right! But the last 1.5 years has been off the charts. All KINDS of symptoms, all KINDS of trouble getting over what should be minor illnesses. Pooh-poohed by everyone as needing to get off my a$$ and lose wieght, which I desperately TRIED to do (unsuccessfully).

Nurse heal thy self, right? Not so much. We can take great care of you, but we lose all the training, or are vastly over-trained when it comes to us! Go figure!

After a 3 month long sinus/eye/lung infection that came and went, and 3 courses of antibiotics, I said (to my doc) "OK I've had it, SERIOUSLY, there must be something I can do, I am not making this up. I am miserable. Last night I came home from work, sat down with my dinner, and fell asleep without one bite...with my hand IN IT"! Next stop - sleep study, and Nursing lightbulb dinging "uh duh, jeez, you idiot". Results worse than expected: 100s of episodes a night of OSA, desating to 80 and below%, >1 min durations, blah blah blah. RN here to tell ya if I was my own Nurse I'd be trying to use scare tactics to get my own attention about now. Your body needs 3 things to survive, in this order: 1. Oxygen, 2. Water, 3. Food...the rest is gravy! No O's...organ (and I mean ALL organs-brain first) deterioration. 12hrs after receiving sleep study results I was sittin' in my very own self's CPAP class being introduced to "Annie" (so named for Resusi-Annie of the CPR class pursuasion), and her baggage. That was 12 days ago. Nasal pillows were this clostrophobics torture device of choice. Humidity and warmth are fine (how do I turn DOWN the temp - I hate to be hot in any capacity?). I started visualizing all things CPAP at bedtime the minute I was sent for the study - cuz I knew. Couldn't wait to get it just to feel better. I bought it, did not rent. The day I got it (715am) I went straight home and applied it for a 2hr nap (10a-12p). Since then I have worn it religiously, cuz I know what happens to the body without it. Have only had one night with an AHI >2.8, last night. Jeez, I felt worse today than if I had never put the thing on at all, just sayin'. In any case, I have only had 2 days of feeling "normal" (which was wonderful don't get me wrong). I tried decreasing Ambien by 1/3 the last 2 nights and OMG the increase in the OSA and CSA was appalling. I would have counseled to expect the opposite. There will be no more tampering with the Ambien. I am trying to get used to flat pillows, I am trying to turn lights out at a regular time (even on w/e), and I am a side sleeper already (haven't breathed well on back for years - clue). I have cut caffiene and soda. I am starting to exersize. I am working towards a no-processed more Vegan diet. I REALLY want to get back down to a normal weight...because OSA produces Hypertension (I have), Asthma (I have), and CHF (I suspect is in early non-symptom stages).

For all you newbies out there, let this "seasoned medical professional" newbie share a word (after way too many, I know!):

Whatever the a$$pain associated with your CPAP/APAP/BiPAP, whatever the cost of the supplies, whatever the disruption to your lifestyle and bedtime routine, regardless of the insult your sex-appeal has endured...SADDLE UP AND DEAL, FIND A WAY TO MAKE IT PART OF YOUR LIFE. Your body repairs itelf at your Brain's direction in your sleep. That is why we sleep. I do not fib a bit when I tell you without your O's there not only is NO REPAIR there is DETERIORATION on a cellular level, all day and all night long. Buy a battery or generator - you WANT the CPAP every night. Let it own you. Name it...it is your new partner Smile

Happy assisted-sleep new friends, I look forward to chatting with you Smile Eat-popcorn Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, I'm glad you got your machine & are so determined to get started on treatment
Post Reply Post Reply
Exclaimation 
I think I'm going to switch Dr's
I called my sleep Dr 3 weeks ago & talk to his nurse & told her I need a Dr note for work because I'm exhausted & trying to adjust to my machine and told her I'm not sleeping at night. She said ok I'll have the dr give you a call & right to this day, I've called every day to hear that the note is on the dr desk but he is busy. I will be going to another sleep dr on Thursday. They give no support for new C Pap users!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
TBlizz - you have to advocate for yourself. Phrases like "what time can I come by today to pick up that note", or "what time can I expect a call back". My Sleep Clinic does over 10,000 studies a year, and they have not nearly the staff to cope. What you are percieving as a lack of follow thru or caring on their part may just be simply overwhelmed. My other suggestion, as an RN, is this - BE THE SQUEEKY WHEEL. The squeeky patient really does get the grease many times. And, lastly, if you are not satisfied, file a complaint...IN WRITTEN FORM to whatever "membership Services" you have. Hell, write straight to the Pres. of the company - they take "patient satisfaction" very seriously and will get on their subordinates QUICK. Just be kind, honest, and professional when you complain. Once labelled a crack-pot your in worse shape Smile Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 114 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,597 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 168 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 545 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.