Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Very helpful post, zzPic! It's good to hear you're feeling better and that your skepticism is answered by your experience. I hope you'll feel free to post a chart and seek some help any time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on cpap for 6 weeks - the major changes:

1. I go to sleep much quicker, I used to toss and turn and lie awake for a couple hours before I could sleep, now I go to sleep in 20 minutes.
2. I get a significant amount of sleep now, 6-7 hours, I used to get 2-4.
3. Blood pressure has come down 20 points with no med changes.
4. Heart rate has dropped 10 points resting.

Very happy at this point.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
Glen, what great results! How long did it take you to get where you are now?
Post Reply Post Reply
3 weeks or so, only the 1st week was tough. My nasal dreamwear is really comfortable and fits perfect, NO leaks. I also like this mask because I can sleep completely on my side, as if I didn’t even have it on.

Sleep Tech set me up with completely wrong settings, it came with 5-20 pressure, full ramp, and literally it would be blown off my face. Adjusted to 7 to 12 and no ramp and it’s perfect, started with heavy humidity, cut that back significantly, congestion got much better.

I bought my unit out right, because I didn’t want anybody telling me what to do or monitoring me. I got all my info from this board right here, And not by just asking questions, but researching and reading what other people have gone through any advice they got from the experts here
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea five years ago and prescribed CPAP. I hated it. I found it difficult to fall asleep and when I did, I would wake up repeatedly throughout the night from the discomfort. Also skeptical that sleep apnea was a big deal health issue, I used the machine on and off - more off than on. Then a couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with a serious but completely unrelated illness. The doctor insisted I use CPAP even in hospital (because breathing is important) and a nurse made sure I complied. It was then that I discovered the source of the therapy discomfort: small almost imperceptible leaks due to the mask being assembled carelessly. I use Easy Life and the sleep techs essentially advised me to tighten mask straps to deal with leaks. It was never pointed out to me that if I was not careful to ensure that every part of the mask fitted snugly, it would leak no matter how tight the straps. In fact small leaks are the worst as a new user (which I was then) might not identify it as a problem. You just notice low level noise and air pressure discomfort throughout the night. I have since learnt to assemble my kit with care and attention - to the extent that I can now move about in my sleep without the mask coming loose and waking me up. I use CPAP every night now and it makes such a difference to my energy levels the next day. I actually wake up feeling rested and refreshed. Five years ago, I thought nothing of waking up tired and irritated. I had put it down to stress and life problems. But it was not stress. It was my leaking mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think my story is that uncommon, from what I've read.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2003.  Couldn't use the first CPAP machine I got because it triggered my claustrophobia.  Gave up on it for several years, sleep kept getting worse.  

Three years ago I started again with a new sleep study and CPAP machine (Respironics Dreammachine and Dreamwear nasal cushion mask).  I was suffering from both insomnia and OSA.  I gave the CPAP another try for about 3 months, but the sleep I got did not rest me.  My sleep doctor said I just wasn't trying hard enough with the CPAP.  I tried off and on again since then, and although I found relief for the insomnia by using melatonin, the quality of my sleep grew worse.  I experienced many nights of 7-8 hours sleep on the CPAP and awoke feeling like I hadn't slept a wink.  

I was ready to throw the machine out the window and give up, but I began looking for support on the Internet, and found this forum.  Posting OSCAR charts and getting the help and advice of many members of the forum, I adjusted my machine for higher pressures, and eventually switched to an Aircurve 10 and a nasal pillows mask.  I sleep great now, 7-9 hours every night,  average AHI under 2 and minimal leaks.  I've been using the CPAP nightly since early August 2020 and haven't missed a night.  My daytime sleepiness has all but disappeared, my depression is much improved, and I cannot imagine coming through this pandemic on the quality of sleep I used to get.  I can read a book, watch a TV show, and even drive without dropping off.

So this is what it's like to get a good night's sleep!  Thanks to all who patiently advised me and guided me on this forum.  I'm eternally grateful.
Post Reply Post Reply
What a wonderfully happy ending! Thanks so much for posting your story.
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to encourage new users. This sounds like a punchline but breathing (and the resulting increase in oxygen levels) really is important. I feel so much better now. Perhaps forum on depression should have a link to this site. 

I would like to ask you guys (gals) for help with OSCAR. I am a tech idiot. Is there a link that explains to newbies how this OSCAR program works, where I download it and how I transfer info from my Dreamstation to the program?  I googled it but most of the sites assume basic knowledge of how to work the program. Presume it has to be done on a PC and is not an app that could be used on the iPhone? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bobby, yes, OSCAR only works on PCs running either Max OS, Windows or Linux of some flavor.

If you have specific questions on how to use the software, one resource is the OSCAR Help Wiki Pages, which are all linked in this article:
https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help

If that article doesn't answer your questions, please start a new thread in the Software Support Forum, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-S...port-Forum

Thanks
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Apologies.  I found the OSCAR link in the forum. I will now see if I can make it work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 46 3,014 32 minutes ago
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 337 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 314 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,974 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 212 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 627 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 415 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.