Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
First post so a massive thanks for this website being here!  Thanks

Next, I have COPD/Asthema which in and of itself is a nightmare .... however, he said rolling his eyes?

I went through a monitored sleep study and the recommendation was a CPAP machine once diagnosed with Obstructive SA....well and good but living in Australia on a tight "over age 65" budget and the cost of a GOOD ONE of these was really shocking. Long story short, incredible amounts of research and I managed to score a fantastic F&P Icon Premo machine and all the extras on the secondary markets at about 1/3rd of the cost new. Perfect.... now how to set it? How to use it? How to get to the point of using and forget it? 

Welcome me to this forum, articles and information..... magic and thanks again. 

During the first week of the honeymoon period, I was blissfully knocking down 7hrs. solid and on the days when I could, sneaking in a bit of a sleep in and even better results. The world is such a better place now that I'm sleeping! Too it used to take me up to 12 hours to manage 4 hours of raggedy disturb sleep....and now it's nearly an exact time exchange so what an unexpected bonus. 

I found a bit of a miracle touch adding in regular doctor approved Melatonin therapy and I'm soooooooooo much better than I was just six months ago....so thank you to others out there and others in here. 

Now then..... where is my pillow?  like
Post Reply Post Reply
CM, thanks so much for posting this wonderful story! Congrats on scoring your gear at a terrific price, but most of all, congrats on the decent sleep and the longer and better days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks...and as I am sure with many, only part of the story. I have a complex medical history including IHD, HTN and Peripheral Neuropathy which at the core of treatment/recovery is the ability for my body to rest and recover. At one point, I was placed in an induced coma and ventilated as the only possible life-saving therapy yet continue quietly happily on my journey counting the blessings of each day enjoying life thoroughly. Knowledge is power and the support of others essential so again, my thanks...time to start another day and experience it's miracles. All the best to all of you.....CM the grateful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started APAP therapy July 20, 2020 after a home sleep study with an AHI of 17.7 (all obstructive).  This website and all the posts have contributed to my successful therapy. 

I have found that constructing my therapy is a little like putting together a puzzle. Some many variables exist that can impact the success of the therapy.  It takes time to put the pieces into place.  This is where the posts can give clues about the various pieces.

I have found the settings, the mask, my diet, my prescription drugs, the tube holder, and the pillow all contribute to my AHI.  I learned about each of these from this Board. 

I am now down to an average AHI of 3, with many nights with AHIs between 1-2. I regularly sleep 8-9 hours a night. 

Thank you for creating such a great repository of knowledge for CPAP users.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fsommerville, that's a great analogy. Yes, so many of us come here for help putting the pieces together, each one solving a problem and helping to create a good night's sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
Puzzle.  What a great analogy!  It resonates with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I originally posted in this thread in June 2018 when I had been on APAP for 3 months. Today marks 3 years! I made a few changes to my post from June 2018, noted below.

I've been on APAP for 3 years and feel great! I noticed improvement starting with the first night of therapy and have been doing well ever since.

It took several weeks to get used to wearing the headgear/cushion (i have tried 15 mask/cushions in the 3 years!). Also, I don't think my DME told me about using the feature to preheat the humidifier, so first few weeks had pretty bad nasal dryness.

This forum has been a wonderful resource. The posts and advice given by longtime members gave me the confidence to change pressure settings on my own. I learned about using a cervical collar, mouth taping, and about online suppliers that have free mask return insurance. I don't know that I would have been advised of any of these things from my sleep doctor.

I consider myself to be one of the luckier sleep apnea patients, as I woke up after one night of APAP use and had complete resolution of fatigue. 

I am happy with my therapy and cannot imagine going back to life before treatment.

Thanks to all of the members on Apnea Board for helping me to become and remain a success story!
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on your third anniversary and your great success in treating your sleep apnea!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, new here. Just fell upon the forum after doing a Google for the clinical manual for my ResMed device.

Diagnosed with CSA after full sleep study early Feb. '21, been using the AirSense 10 Auto prescribed after in-home study August '20.

AHI numbers from <10 (and only a few under 10!) to 40 until last month (2/21) when I started to make adjustments in the clinical menu according to what I felt was more appropriate for my particular needs.

Since then I'm getting AHI's <5 consistently, scoring 100 over consecutive nights in MyAir.

But I want to be sure I'm not doing something harmful to myself with the settings I've settled upon that are giving me this kind of result.

Markedly improved stamina now over what I'd been experiencing daily which motivated my request for a sleep study last year. As I approach 72 I want to feel my best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, spclark. Here's a thought: why don't you start a new thread in the main apnea board section to get some eyes on your settings. You might use a subject line like: settings OK for CSA? It'd be very helpful if you posted a typical Oscar chart as well. Be sure to show the left panel (calendar and pie chart turned off), along with these graphs:

Events.
Flow rate.
Pressure.
Leaks.
Flow limitations.
Snores.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 153 5 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,623 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,830 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 548 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.