Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
(01-03-2014, 04:51 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: ... .............
I work in Emergency Medical Services and thought this line of work and getting up during the night is what was messing up my sleep patterns.....boy was I wrong.
Two months after getting full nights of sleep I realized how much of life I was missing out on because of being too tired to do things.
I continue to stay compliant with the therapy as I never want to go back to feeling like the walking dead again.
Brian... stay with this forum and continue your impressive success story!
Others... Does anyone know where I can find any kind of a direct comparison between Brian's ResMed Legacy & my PRS1 BiPAP Auto?
Regards,
Sam Ross

Post Reply Post Reply
Woops that was a typo, i have a RemStar plus.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have one question though. I am getting ready to go out looking for a new machine. The one i have now is getting some miles on it because it travels a lot. Any recommendations on machines. My pressure is a 5 and all i have ever know is straight CPAP so suggestions for new machines would be terrific
Post Reply Post Reply
[/font][/size]I had my sleep study done by the VA and I was promptly given a PR System One RemStar Auto with A-flex machine, heated humidifier and since I am a mouth breather I got a full Face HC431 mask with pressure set at 5-20. I took the machine home and set it up and strapped on the mask while I watched TV in my lazy boy for 2 hours, that evening I wore my mask for 4 more hours while chatching up with the DVR recordings from last week. When it got time for bed I felt good about giving it a try for the night, I used it for 6 hours the first night, with no problems, I have been using my RemStar since 10/28/2013 with just a few problems and I was waiting for a follow-up apt with my VA sleep therapist when I got a call to come in and talk with the eligibility folks, where I found out that I am not eligible for benefits and someone would get in touch with me about my machine this happened in Mid-November. So sad as I really liked the sleep therapist I dealt with I felt that they really cared about my issue. Well it was after Christmas and I had a few days before my benefits changed and I had met my deductible so I found a DME and got a new RemStar APAP it’s the same model as the one I will have to turn in but I got the heated hose option on this one and I ordered the HC432 Full face mask ant the FitLife Total face mask I am hoping to fix my leaking issues. While I was at the DME I asked about the ENCORE software vs. the Sleep Mapper software I had read about on one of the on-line DME sites, the tech told me that I could get the same data from the sleep mapper software without the expense of the ENCORE software so I decided to buy the Bluetooth module so I could use the smart phone app with my IOS smart phone.
Well I got my new machine home and plugged the Bluetooth module into my old unit set up my Sleepmapper account and then spent the next 4 hours trying to get my data from my unit I would get to the 65% -80 % range and then it would die. So I found my SD card reader and I got ready to try the blue tooth unit once more, Success it finally synched my data after the fifth final try, I am mule-headed sometimes. Got on to sleepmapper and it said I had no data. So I tried my SD card reader it downloaded my data and lo and behold it also said no data. Well I thought lets sleep on it so I put my bluetooth unit on the new machine and went to bed.
I tried the sleep mapper software the next day and got the same results with my SD card reader so I put my new card in to the reader and it would not load due to the S/N being different than the one I set it up as. Slept the next two nights with the old machine and the new humidifier and got data both nights so I thought the sleep mapper software would show me trending data with past history…. Wrong.
The sleep mapper software does work but it only displays new data, so I was unable to upload my information and get any trending history which I really wanted since I have to turn in my old machine. sleep mapper will not allow you to chart info from machines with different serial numbers on the same account. I did like the neat App for my smart phone; I had to purchase the Bluetooth module on my own. The fine folks at my new DME really talked up the software and how it would help me and how they could print my reports out for me. but it takes me two hours round trip to get the print out, not to mention it was a major PITA to get my initial data to upload i used both the blue tooth device and a SD card reader, and after dinking with it for three hours I went to the DME and got a print out. When I got home I logged on to Apnea board and downloaded the SleepyHead program in 45 minutes I had the thing up and running and the data from both of my units downloaded and I was looking at charts with the full historical trending info.
[size=small][font=Times New Roman]
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2014, 01:39 PM)WOGDOG Wrote: [/font][/size]I had my sleep study done by the VA and I was promptly given a PR System One RemStar Auto with A-flex machine, heated humidifier and since I am a mouth breather I got a full Face HC431 mask with pressure set at 5-20. I took the machine home and set it up and strapped on the mask while I watched TV in my lazy boy for 2 hours, that evening I wore my mask for 4 more hours while chatching up with the DVR recordings from last week. When it got time for bed I felt good about giving it a try for the night, I used it for 6 hours the first night, with no problems, I have been using my RemStar since 10/28/2013 with just a few problems and I was waiting for a follow-up apt with my VA sleep therapist when I got a call to come in and talk with the eligibility folks, where I found out that I am not eligible for benefits and someone would get in touch with me about my machine this happened in Mid-November. So sad as I really liked the sleep therapist I dealt with I felt that they really cared about my issue. Well it was after Christmas and I had a few days before my benefits changed and I had met my deductible so I found a DME and got a new RemStar APAP it’s the same model as the one I will have to turn in but I got the heated hose option on this one and I ordered the HC432 Full face mask ant the FitLife Total face mask I am hoping to fix my leaking issues. While I was at the DME I asked about the ENCORE software vs. the Sleep Mapper software I had read about on one of the on-line DME sites, the tech told me that I could get the same data from the sleep mapper software without the expense of the ENCORE software so I decided to buy the Bluetooth module so I could use the smart phone app with my IOS smart phone.
Well I got my new machine home and plugged the Bluetooth module into my old unit set up my Sleepmapper account and then spent the next 4 hours trying to get my data from my unit I would get to the 65% -80 % range and then it would die. So I found my SD card reader and I got ready to try the blue tooth unit once more, Success it finally synched my data after the fifth final try, I am mule-headed sometimes. Got on to sleepmapper and it said I had no data. So I tried my SD card reader it downloaded my data and lo and behold it also said no data. Well I thought lets sleep on it so I put my bluetooth unit on the new machine and went to bed.
I tried the sleep mapper software the next day and got the same results with my SD card reader so I put my new card in to the reader and it would not load due to the S/N being different than the one I set it up as. Slept the next two nights with the old machine and the new humidifier and got data both nights so I thought the sleep mapper software would show me trending data with past history…. Wrong.
The sleep mapper software does work but it only displays new data, so I was unable to upload my information and get any trending history which I really wanted since I have to turn in my old machine. sleep mapper will not allow you to chart info from machines with different serial numbers on the same account. I did like the neat App for my smart phone; I had to purchase the Bluetooth module on my own. The fine folks at my new DME really talked up the software and how it would help me and how they could print my reports out for me. but it takes me two hours round trip to get the print out, not to mention it was a major PITA to get my initial data to upload i used both the blue tooth device and a SD card reader, and after dinking with it for three hours I went to the DME and got a print out. When I got home I logged on to Apnea board and downloaded the SleepyHead program in 45 minutes I had the thing up and running and the data from both of my units downloaded and I was looking at charts with the full historical trending info.

Did the VA pay for it....im a veteran is why im asking

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2014, 11:59 AM)brianwood619 Wrote: I do have one question though. I am getting ready to go out looking for a new machine. The one i have now is getting some miles on it because it travels a lot. Any recommendations on machines. My pressure is a 5 and all i have ever know is straight CPAP so suggestions for new machines would be terrific

Respironics and Resmed are both good machines. You want to make sure that you get one that is an auto set where you can use a pressure range and that is able to show you more data than just compliance data. I will look for the link that talks about the types of machines so you can decide what is best for you and your budget.

Here are links Zonk posted in another post

Machines choices and what machines to avoid http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Tips for CPAP newbies http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2014, 05:12 PM)me50 Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 11:59 AM)brianwood619 Wrote: I do have one question though. I am getting ready to go out looking for a new machine. The one i have now is getting some miles on it because it travels a lot. Any recommendations on machines. My pressure is a 5 and all i have ever know is straight CPAP so suggestions for new machines would be terrific

Respironics and Resmed are both good machines. You want to make sure that you get one that is an auto set where you can use a pressure range and that is able to show you more data than just compliance data. I will look for the link that talks about the types of machines so you can decide what is best for you and your budget.

Here are links Zonk posted in another post

Machines choices and what machines to avoid http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Tips for CPAP newbies http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Thanks for Info ME50

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2014, 04:04 PM)brianwood619 Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 01:39 PM)WOGDOG Wrote: [/font][/size]I had my sleep study done by the VA and I was promptly given a PR System One RemStar Auto with A-flex machine, heated humidifier and since I am a mouth breather I got a full Face HC431 mask with pressure set at 5-20. I took the machine home and set it up and strapped on the mask while I watched TV in my lazy boy for 2 hours, that evening I wore my mask for 4 more hours while chatching up with the DVR recordings from last week. When it got time for bed I felt good about giving it a try for the night, I used it for 6 hours the first night, with no problems, I have been using my RemStar since 10/28/2013 with just a few problems and I was waiting for a follow-up apt with my VA sleep therapist when I got a call to come in and talk with the eligibility folks, where I found out that I am not eligible for benefits and someone would get in touch with me about my machine this happened in Mid-November. So sad as I really liked the sleep therapist I dealt with I felt that they really cared about my issue. Well it was after Christmas and I had a few days before my benefits changed and I had met my deductible so I found a DME and got a new RemStar APAP it’s the same model as the one I will have to turn in but I got the heated hose option on this one and I ordered the HC432 Full face mask ant the FitLife Total face mask I am hoping to fix my leaking issues. While I was at the DME I asked about the ENCORE software vs. the Sleep Mapper software I had read about on one of the on-line DME sites, the tech told me that I could get the same data from the sleep mapper software without the expense of the ENCORE software so I decided to buy the Bluetooth module so I could use the smart phone app with my IOS smart phone.

Did the VA pay for it....im a veteran is why im asking

no they did not they will bill me for it but will not bill my insurance even though they are a perfered provider according to my insurance. cost is reall close to what i can get it online for
Post Reply Post Reply
After being on my APAP for 2.5 months I have to wonder why I never talked to my doctor about sleep apnea. It wasn’t until I had a physical done by a LNP who is also a RT that I even considered it. I only snore some times, and not very loud usually, mostly when I am congested. But when she gave me a take home study then the truth came out. My wife has noticed me stopping breathing for years but just a little snort and I would roll over and that was it. My wife has severe SA and has been on a CPAP for over 12 years. Any way after getting home with my machine and using it for the first night I found that I was alert when my alarm went off and did not feel foggy in the morning and exhausted when I went to bed. I seldom feel the need for my power nap I am about 74% compliant I would be 90% but there are days when I can’t sleep. That was my complaint I could not sleep when I needed to. Mostly due to my midnight till noon shift and taking care of kids on my days off
Post Reply Post Reply
Well thank you for all the info on a new machine, good thing i got good info from hou guys because mine died last night....lol. I guess carrying it back and forth to work, faithful use and a deployment to afghanistan was all it could take

Thanks again folks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 158 8 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,625 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,836 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 172 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 549 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.