Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
Something occurred to me this morning that I thought I'd share. I have written much (yeah, yeah, I know.... too much) about how pleased I am with the therapy, my P10, my new-found ability to drive down the street without falling asleep, my ability to stay asleep at night without zillions of trips to the bathroom, and all that.

But there's something else that just re-occurred to me this morning: Prior to cpap, I was taking two prevacid tablets daily to control my acid reflux. In spite of that I have had to have the test where they cram something down your throat to see what was going on, and they were threatening to do that again. Shortly after beginning cpap, I was able to completely quit taking prevacid, and I have not had a re-occurrence of acid reflux in months. I consider that a major plus for me. Prevacid's not the only thing now missing from my medicine basket. The Lisinopril I took for high blood pressure is no longer needed as well.

Then there's the emphysema thing. I have that. I don't get too excited about it --- for instance I don't allow supplemental oxygen in the house, that sort of thing... But pre-cpap I had deteriorated to a place I was not happy to be. I had no -- not any ---- as in none stamina. I could no longer do the most basic of chores such as take out the trash. I could not participate in shopping. Just walking to the bathroom was an exertion. Now, I still have emphysema, that's not going away, but my stamina is back. I can do all the things I need to do to be a productive member of this household again. That's a big thing.

So sometimes when we remember the very nice little things this therapy is doing for us, we need to keep in mind the longer-term benefits that we might not even be aware are being improved as our body heals.

I'm lovin' the life....

Is it bedtime yet?
Post Reply Post Reply
This is wild! I was just looking up this thread to give an update as it just dawned on me that I never have to take antacids anymore! I probably had acid reflux and it seemed to be getting worse but I had no insurance and was gambling. (Again, thanks to ACA, I am covered now and that's how I found out about the apnea.) I wake up alert, I get tired in the afternoons but it's a different kind of tired. I don't just "pass out". I actually lie down and go to sleep.
My first problems were that it took me awhile to go to sleep with the plastic spider plastered all over my face and I had incredible neck pain and ticks. That's all gone now and as I said, it just dawned on me that I don't suffer from heartburn anymore. Is it the oxygen?
One other thing that I thought about is how incrediblely strong most of us were before diagnosis and treatment. The amount of will power it took to wake up and get through the day is remarkable. I assumed it was advancing age or hard office work but it was something more tangible. Here's a pat on the back for us! For suffering through it, for identifying it and now for treating it.
Post Reply Post Reply
As to acid reflux mentioned by the two posters above: my sleep doctor said it was a typical symptom of apnea. I think the struggle for air somehow forces the acid up (though I did not ask him).
Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I have been at it a month now and I can't say I have a success story. My therapist started me out with the CPAP set to maximum pressure (25) and I injured my bronchial tubes and lungs on the first go. I had a hard time breathing for 4 days . He kept the pressures high and I had nothing but mask fit and leaks for weeks. I got in and reset the machine and things have been better for me but they didn't like me doing that. I was switched to a VPAP Auto and I changed more settings and they didn't like that but now it's not too bad, in fact it's pretty good. I am really not happy with this outfit and may fire them before they charge for the machine. I have made great progress but not on their account. So this is a success story but in a way it's not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2014, 05:56 AM)Mr666 Wrote: Well I have been at it a month now and I can't say I have a success story. My therapist started me out with the CPAP set to maximum pressure (25) and I injured my bronchial tubes and lungs on the first go. I had a hard time breathing for 4 days . He kept the pressures high and I had nothing but mask fit and leaks for weeks. I got in and reset the machine and things have been better for me but they didn't like me doing that. I was switched to a VPAP Auto and I changed more settings and they didn't like that but now it's not too bad, in fact it's pretty good. I am really not happy with this outfit and may fire them before they charge for the machine. I have made great progress but not on their account. So this is a success story but in a way it's not.
That is definately a success story. Congratulations to you for staying with the therapy in spite of having an idiot for a therapist. This site celebrates those of us with the good sense to care about our own well being enough to take charge of our therapy. And you've done that. Good job.

Now, what about your results? Have you downloaded the Sleepyhead software and begun to look at your actual results? Min pressure, max pressure, where within the range does your machine like to hang out? Leak numbers? Post something in the regular forum so we can help keep track of you. You don't need no stinkin' therapist.....................

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2014, 05:56 AM)Mr666 Wrote: I am really not happy with this outfit and may fire them before they charge for the machine. I have made great progress but not on their account. So this is a success story but in a way it's not.

It's a success, not because of the medical equipment supply company, but in spite of them.

Get copies of your sleep studies and insist that you see the prescription written by your doctor for your CPAP machine. You're entitled to copes of both of those documents.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good for you for sticking with it!
Got my S9 from a guy who gave up. Same issue, pressure set wrong, 4&20. Tried to talk him into trying it with different settings since he had a young daughter, but he had given up. Wonder if he is still alive.
It is good to hear that you are not like him, and are working through the challenges. It is well worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been 2 weeks with a Resmed VPAP and so far so good. First few nights were a bit rough, but am sleeping pretty darn good right now. Phillips Nuance Pro nasal pillows is what they set me up with. I want to try the Airfit though as well. The acid thing is really the same for me too. Hadn't really thought about it, but haven't needed the tums/pepcid for the last week or so. Very interesting and hope that keeps up. Have to call the doc as they said they want me to call after 2 weeks and get an appt. set up for another 2 - 4 weeks to read the data. Pretty encouraging so far. This is a cool site and I hope to learn more about this whole thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
It took me over a year to finally get to where my VPAP and I finally reached an understanding of each other. SmileSmile It was a long and frustrating transition but SO VERY worth it. I consider myself to be at about 85% tolerance, meaning I still occasionally "do battle" with my rig during the night. When I am able to use it from dosing off to my normal wake time, I wake up with so much energy and vitality.
Short story version...Keep trying...It will change your life.
Post Reply Post Reply
New, happy twist. I used to get up at least once and mostly twice in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. It dawns on me now I never do. I think this breathing normally thing is pretty swell!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 8 125 1 hour ago
Last Post: DKane
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,614 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,825 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 169 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.