Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
I was diagnosed about 3-4 years ago, and had an older Respironics CPAP. Was NON-Compliant, and never really took to it.

Jump ahead to the middle of June this year, when I had a new sleep study done with a new doctor (Actually my GP, who is also sleep medicine certified, BONUS).

AHI untreated 70+. got a new Respironics BiPap Auto, pressures 16/12.

First week still had AHI's >20, and into the 30's with a ResMed Mirage Liberty Hybrid mask. So I talked to my DME, and we changed to a ResMed Quattro FX mask two nights ago, and my 2 AHI's are 5.7 and 2.7. MUCH better.

I also found the SleepyHead software (Great Job, @jedimark)....

Now to see if the Sleep Deficit goes away in the next few weeks....

Thanks to all here for all the encouragement, and the sharing.

ThanksI-love-CPAPI-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband was exactly like BillP, except it took him a while and various problems to settle into it. Thanks to this board, we persevered and now, 2 years later, he couldn't live without his machine. I say 'we' because I am now back in his bed after years of sleeping alone and I love it. I wonder how many women don't realise that their sleep problems, getting up to toilet problems & lack of energy are caused not by the 'change of life' but by their husband's snoring and apnea related movements.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's good to see so many great stories. I was diagnosed about 3 months ago and have been on treatment for the past 5-6 weeks. The difference is so profound that I can't really put it in to words.

I've obviously had issues for most, if not all, of my life but I've been really fighting with this issue for the past two and a half years and was being treated with depression. While I was clinically depressed, this wasn't the issue and the antidepressants weren't working properly, or all the time. I almost ended my life a few times over the last year and that's what prompted me to really research what the heck was wrong with me.

I wrote down everything that peed me off and searched the internet for weeks until I came up with sleep deprivation in tortured prisoners. That lead me to sleep apnea. I had really bad morning headaches around 4 mornings a week and the only thing that would shift them were to take at least 3 Neurofen. I went through a LOT over the past 2 years (roughly a box of 24 a fortnight). I've also had a stiff neck and right shoulder for a few years as well as calf muscle pain and cramps in my legs. The depression was really bad too. I locked myself away and slept many days away refusing to answer the door or phone (it's still not plugged in). So, it was pretty bad. My sleep study results were actually quite shocking. My O2 stats were initially 74% overnight and I had a lot of apneas so there's no wonder why I felt like crap!

I'm now in to my 6th week of treatment and I'm not even close to the same person. Thanks to this forum I got my hands on some software that I used from the first week of the trial and it helped me sort out the mask fitting/air leak issues early on. It also made finding the right mask easy, but I think I was lucky there as I only tried two. My Oxygen stats are now hovering in the low 90's overnight and my AHI is now averaging 0.8 for July. Sadly, I had to return the oxy sensor to my sleep clinic so I don't have that data anymore. I want one because I'm curious, but they're not cheap to buy.

I am off all medication (Antidepressants and Neurofen) and have no headaches, no neck ache or shoulder pain and no leg or calf muscle issues at all. I'm not tired in the day anymore and have abolished the afternoon grandpa naps altogether. Every issue I had is gone. Edit: I still have lousy short term memory but I've noticed a slight improvement and hope it will continue to get better over time.

There are too many bad memories related to my work so I don't want to stay in that field anymore (I lost my business) so I've enrolled in Uni to start again. It seems like a crazy step to take since I was suicidal only three to four months ago, but I really do feel this good and it's not wearing off so far.

I would do anything for anyone in my position to have the same results I have and it's sad to see people on the forums suffering and wanting to quit. I had issues too, but I wanted the results more than the alternative. I'm putting my story out there so it might help someone stick it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great story Big Unit. Thanks for sharing. There was a published report that circulated here a year or two ago about a guy who had it bad, too. He ended up homeless before he finally got diagnosed and treated. All the medicine and psychotherapy in the world won't help if we're not sleeping.

It's wonderful to be living in a world where CPAP therapy is available. Imagine the sufferings of our parents, grandparents, and all our ancestors when this option was not available to them. And there are still places in the underdeveloped world today where CPAP therapy is unavailable. Sleep is one of our most basic needs, right up there with food, water, and shelter.

I wish you continued success.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Unit, thanks very much for sharing your positive story.
So pleased you are reaping the benefits of all things CPAP. It is a shame you had to work it out for yourself and were not guided a long time a go by the medical profession.
Main thing is you are on the right track now and you are living your life again.
Well done, may your success continue.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
12 plus years sucking a CPAP. I'm starting to get the hang of it. Latest unit a ResMed Elite blowing through a slimline and a ResMed full face mask. No complaints on the rig but would like a better seal on the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a new board member but a long time CPAP user (12 years). In fact, I still have my first machine, a Respironics REMstar Pro, which is now considered obsolete. The on/off switch is not working property so I'm in the process of getting a new one, a ResMed S9 (don't yet know which model).

It only took me 4 days to keep my mask on the whole night when I first got my CPAP and I have worn it every night since with the exception of those times when I was so congested that I couldn't get any air through my nose. (I wear a nasal mask)

My old CPAP is well traveled as my wife and travel overseas quite often. My CPAP becomes my carry-on luggage so I don't take a change on losing it.

I recently discovered how much I miss my CPAP during a power outage. I slept very little as I kept choking and waking myself up.

My CPAP has really improved my quality of life so sleeping without one is not an option for me anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2014, 10:02 AM)Rich546 Wrote: I'm in the process of getting a new one, a ResMed S9 (don't yet know which model).
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]

Escape from S9 Escape models (Escape and Escape Auto)
The AutoSet can be used as CPAP fixed pressure or APAP auto-adjusting and only few dollars more than the Elite

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I´m new member. I´ve using cpap machine for only 4 nights. I´m very satisfied with results.
My severe OSA was sucking my energies (i was exhausted). Now, with cpap, it´s all joy, full energy when i wake up. So happy.

Bye and thanks for this forum. U r helping me a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
I am brand new to this CPAP world.
I have been on my CPAP for about 4 months, and have so much to learn, but as of now I am so happy with how I feel! I am sleeping sooo much better! I only get up 2 times a night, but fall right back to sleep, and feel great in the morning! I am not falling asleep during the day, and feel so much happier! From 29 non-breathing issues a night to one, most nights! I am now a determined person to "keep on a keeping on"!
Riki Smile
"Keep on a keeping on" Riki
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 3 61 2 hours ago
Last Post: R1c4ard06
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 760 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 46 3,048 Today, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 340 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 316 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,981 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 213 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.