Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
RE: Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here
I'm only 11 days into this but the numbers off the S9 Auto kind of tell the story. During my initial sleep study, I was having 40+ events per hour. With 11 days of data on my CPAP machine, my AHI is 0.6.

I went down this road due to the dumb luck of my GP happening to pick up an irregular heartbeat with a stethoscope during a routine office visit and doing a quick electrocardiogram on me. An hour later, I was wearing a Holter monitor for 24 hours followed by a visit the next day to a cardiologist. I've known I have sleep apnea for many years but didn't know that it was a trigger to atrial fibrillation. From a day of Holter monitor data, I drop into afib occasionally and then snap out of it. That led to the sleep study and the Rx for a CPAP machine. I'm hopeful this clears up my afib problem since that creates a huge stroke risk.

Without all the apnea events, my body seems to need a heck of a lot less sleep. I was always an 8 hours of sleep guy. I'm now feeling fine when I get 6 hours. As I adjust to sleeping with a nasal mask, I suspect that might bump up a bit but I'm hopeful that this increases my energy level.

Post Reply Post Reply
My life changed so much for the better when I got my first CPAP that I was shocked. I later made my doctor promise he would never take it away! That was in 2008. Back up to 1996 ... I was tested at that time and diagnosed with "slight" sleep apnea, but couldn't afford the machine, so I went without one till got insurance 12 years later. Prior to that my blood pressure started rising, I developed serious breathing issues and, eventually, asthma. I got another sleep test done in 2008 because I was so tired during the day that I would fall asleep driving my car, had no energy and felt as useless as an old rag. After my first full night of "real" sleep with the CPAP, I awoke a feeling like someone had given me a shot of mega-energy boosters. Going through the entire day without getting tired was exhilarating! 18 months ago, however, I began getting tired in the day time again after a sleep technician lowered my setting 5 points. (She said it was 5 points higher than my prescription said it was supposed to be.) For some reason, I went through 4 doctors before getting one who actually believed I KNEW what I was talking about when I told her my tiredness coincided with the lowered setting. She ordered a new sleep test. The next sleep tech. recommended a setting of 11.5 (vs my old one of 10.) So I pick up my new CPAP machine last week and guess what - they set it to my old setting of 10 and my tiredness in the day time continued. Duh. I even asked my pulmonologist (who supposedly read my sleep test report) if the setting wasn't incorrect and he didn't even say anything. Instead, he prescribed Mirapex for my restless leg syndrome. Granted, Mirapex works great, but I'm STILL tired in the day time. Imagine my delight tonight when I found instructions today (on the APNEA BOARD site) for resetting my CPAP myself!!!!!!! I can't wait to go to bed and try it out. Hopefully I will stop being so tired and listless during the day time. THANKS for posting those instructions! One last word, when you get a CPAP for the first time, expect it to have a profound effect on your sleeping partner too - the first night I wore my CPAP I was so quiet throughout the entire night that my husband kept checking to see if I was still alive Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job taking charge of your own therapy BH. What you need to do now is download the Sleepyhead software from the link at the top of the page. Install it and begin checking your actual results. Need to know includes ahi, number of events, and type of events, pressure high and low, and leak rates.

Come back with your actual results so we can celebrate with you, or advise you where to go next.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 11:56 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Good job taking charge of your own therapy BH. What you need to do now is download the Sleepyhead software from the link at the top of the page. Install it and begin checking your actual results. Need to know includes ahi, number of events, and type of events, pressure high and low, and leak rates.

Come back with your actual results so we can celebrate with you, or advise you where to go next.

THANKS Retired_Guy! I'll do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum BHolland! So pleased you found us, and the secret instructions about changing things, those instructions that the powers that be do not like us to have anything to do with.
I will be interested to hear how you go once you have changed your pressure. Please stay in touch.
Also what r_g said about downloading SleepyHead is very good advice. Gives you great insight as to what is actually going on.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Trouble sleeping for the last 14 years. Diagnosed with severe OSA thru the VA. AHI of 35 after sleep testing.So was given and started to use a CPAP machine Sep 11th. Have been 100% compliant. Has changed my life in just 2 1/2 weeks. I am astounded, wish I was diagnosed 14 years ago. Had totally forgotten what a good nights sleep was. Thank God I now know. One difficulty I am having is (of course) the mask. Stated with a Medium Resmed Quattro Air Full face, now in a Large. Still difficulty with comfort, leaks, movement on face. Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated. This will not deter my usage, "Bane", as my children have named my CPAP machine will be with me forever more. Since I am a virgin to this I am just looking for some experienced guidance. Thanks aa.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby and Retired-Guy: Raising the setting DID work better last night. I only remember coming out of a deep sleep one time, but kept my eyes closed and before I knew it, it was 7:20 am and
I was wide awake. Dancing

Next challenge is being able to download Sleepyhead on my MacOSX. I tried last night, but a message came up saying the source was not recognized. I'll keep playing with it. Suggestions are welcome! Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2014, 09:37 AM)Jonjaylow Wrote: Trouble sleeping for the last 14 years. Diagnosed with severe OSA thru the VA. AHI of 35 after sleep testing.So was given and started to use a CPAP machine Sep 11th. Have been 100% compliant. Has changed my life in just 2 1/2 weeks. I am astounded, wish I was diagnosed 14 years ago. Had totally forgotten what a good nights sleep was. Thank God I now know. One difficulty I am having is (of course) the mask. Stated with a Medium Resmed Quattro Air Full face, now in a Large. Still difficulty with comfort, leaks, movement on face. Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated. This will not deter my usage, "Bane", as my children have named my CPAP machine will be with me forever more. Since I am a virgin to this I am just looking for some experienced guidance. Thanks aa.

Hi Jon, good to hear you're having such great success. What you might want to do is start a new thread with your concerns about the mask. Then, when I see it, I would tell you "Hi Jon, good to hear you're having such great success. What I would consider is trying a pillows mask such as the Resmed P10. That's what worked for me when I was having issues getting the ffm's to play nice. The fact that I believed I could never use a pillows mask because I was a 'mouth breather' turned out to be incredibly inaccurate." So, looking forward to visiting with you some more Jon. (and you'll get lots of help from the other guys too!)

Post Reply Post Reply
BHolland great news about having success from raising your pressure.
Not sure but I think I have heard of problems before with SleepyHead and Mac.
If you are still having problems, start a new thread and ask about this problem you are having.
I am sure there will be many people who will be able to help you.

Keep up the good work.

Jonjaylow, welcome to the forum. It is great to hear another positive story.
The thing you are having trouble with is probably the most difficult part of the therapy. Trying to find the right mask is no easy task.
Some people are lucky and find it after one or two but others it can take many trials before they find 'the one'.
I, like r_g use the P10, and think it is great but that doesn't mean it will be right for you. Then again many people on this forum are using it.
As r_g suggested start up another thread and you will be given plenty of valuable advice.
It is wonderful your life has been turned around.
All the best to you.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby - I found out they do not yet have a Mac version of SleepyHead yet. I can wait ....Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 3 100 04-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: R1c4ard06
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 790 04-16-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 46 3,078 04-16-2024, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 353 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 319 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,994 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 216 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.