Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Your med. necessity form may be in limbo
RE: Your med. necessity form may be in limbo
I poked around using Google and can't find anything from CMS (Medicare) after 2008 other than clarification of verbage. Even what little I found dealt more with the sleep test than with the machines. I did find some information by DMEs about the guidelines, but most of them are from 2010.

The only compliance information I found was comments made by users, not by Medicare. (I've never, ever had to show compliance data)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Right now, I'd agree with your overall surmise, Super, assuming that my sleep center was incorrect in describing new signature guidelines from Medicare as of Nov. 2008.
About your number three statement, from what the DME told me, Medicare requires them to file paperwork codes with Medicare, one of which indicates that a medical necessity form has been signed and is on file. I was given the impression that this is not new and has been required for some time. The DME does not have to send the med. necessity form to Medicare but does still have to indicate to them that this document is on file.
Perhaps someone can obtain a verification of this from another DME to show it's required for all of them. It sounds to me like this is an "internal" requirement between Medicare and DMEs and as such may not be published for us to find.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula & Dawei...

That was my big question - (on a cert of medical necessity). If Medicare requires that or not... and if so, can one be written by any old doctor or does it have to be a sleep doctor?

If anyone has authoritative info on this, please share with us! Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare coverage
http://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-dat...earch.aspx

Certificate of medical necessity
http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CM...s10269.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to have a form of medical necessity before they will pay for my wheelchair. (but then you're talking about an 18-20K $ device) When I got my current machine last year or so, all I needed was a prescription from the doc. I got one from my GP. The DME never asked for anything else.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2012, 05:42 PM)zonk Wrote: Medicare coverage
http://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-dat...earch.aspx

Certificate of medical necessity
http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CM...s10269.pdf

Good info, Zonk. Thanks!

Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I can also stay on topic Too-funny
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuyDjEvUtDZhfot6Wyl6W...2CpkzeksJQ]

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you can, Zonk. Impressive research. It certainly looks like Medicare requires the cert. since they created it. Yet, I still wonder about my DME telling me they keep the cert. on file and just confirm to Medicare that they have one completed for the pt. What sounds more reasonable would be that they send the cert. to Medicare and keep a photocopy. As for any old doc filling out a cert., we can see there's nothing indicating otherwise on the form. Along this line, when on the phone with the woman at the hospital's sleep center, I asked about the docs who staff the center because I had the impression they all are members of a fairly large pulmonology group in town. She said that several from that group do staff the sleep center, but only four of them are certified sleep docs. That seems to confirm the idea that any doc can sign the cert., doesn't it.
Paula, it seems that all we patients usually know or are told about is the need for a script from the doc to get our equipment from a supplier. That's been my experience. I carried the script for my Autoset from the sleep center to the DME, and the DME filled it. Now we know that along with the script they also need the cert. of med. necessity which usually happens "automatically" without our necessarily knowing about it. I became aware of it only because the cert. never got done when I got my new machine and masks, and as a result I wasn't getting monthly bills to start paying for it when I began calling to ask why.
Post Reply Post Reply
Eventhough there is an actual Medicare form for Medical Necessity, I'm still not completely certain that such a form must be filled out in order to get Medicare to pay for CPAP.

There's tons of government forms out there, but not all of them are required.

There's the rub. Cool
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
My GP did ask me later if I had ever gotten the machine. I said yes and she re-confirmed that she didn't mind writing the 'script at all. She never mentioned having to do more.

I think, based on my many years of experience with the lunacy of Medicare, is that it probably is required but each regional office that approves/disapproves purchases may or may not request one. Each regional office is different. Some are more relaxed. Some are very by-the-book.

For example, if this were the first CPAP machine for a patient, they probably would require it. But since it was my second, they did not.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask pressure wave form with obstructive events jaredihnen 6 477 12-07-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 1,034 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
Information [Mod Note] Do you want us to know when you die? [Apnea Board Postmortem Form] SuperSleeper 15 5,588 08-07-2023, 06:30 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  This form of pattern, what is it? sleep2023 2 726 07-27-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
Question The form associated with sleep apena testing dlnewhouse 1 457 08-31-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
Question Dreamstation: Should I still fill out the recall form? Wrz77 15 1,833 02-25-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Wrz77
  Wave form no longer downloads RLSdss 0 742 10-23-2019, 07:56 AM
Last Post: RLSdss

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.