Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Zeo Sleep Manager
Zeo Sleep Manager
Just watching Anderson Cooper show featuring a sleep doctor who talked about (didn't seem to be "selling") a portable "zeo sleep manager" worn on head that records sleep info., e.g. REM and non-REM sleep. Has anyone heard of/used this and what do you think? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Zeo Sleep Manager
Quote:This has been copied from the old Board.

Quote:quoted from old64mb

Hi Cutter - I'm new here, but not to online xPAP discussion forums. Stumbled on this site since I was trying to find the software for my travel unit, the Sandman Duo.

As far as the Zeo, I may post a full review here at some point, but here's it in a nutshell:

+ Really, really good for insomniacs since it is primarily a 'sleep discipline' coach. It lets you keep track of pretty much everything they recommend in sleep discipline (caffeine, disruptions, alcohol, relaxation, etc) and compare that to how you've actually slept at night. It also allows you to crunch a whole ton of data on it. My sleep doc was impressed enough with it so that she's thinking of offering it to some of her insomniac patients.
+ Very interesting for people with other sleep disorders from a 10,000 foot level. It does a very good job of distinguishing between wake/stage 1+2 (light)/stage 3+4 (deep)/and REM sleep - call it about 60-70% of what a PSG does, but you can do it in your bed at home for a lot less money. Pointed out to me that there's still something going on with my sleep that xPAP hasn't solved yet despite an AHI in the 2s.
+ All sorts of interesting analysis and experiments regarding sleep on their website and blogs.

- Software can be buggy as hell, which is where most of the negative Amazon reviews come from. Had to figure out how to sync it with my phone without their help. Gotten better but still not perfect.
- Need an Iphone or Android to use the Mobile version
- Biggest hole in its data gathering is that it does not report arousals unless they're over 2 minutes in length. Makes it largely useless as a diagnostic tool, and is somewhat bizarre since it tracks data on a 5 second basis and reports it to the phone every 30 seconds.
- You are having a bluetooth strap thing on your forehead blasting info every 30 seconds, but they're working on letting you choose to do it once a night.
- Do need to replace headband every 3 months or so. 3 headbands run $50.

What I'd really love is for them to develop a way to sync the data with xPAP software.

However...for less than the price of a mask ($99), I think it's well worth the money. Be curious what others think.

Cheers!
Edited by old64mb, Feb 17 2012, 06:45 PM.

Quote:from PaulaO

I just went to their website and could find little information on what it actually does. Still looking but at first glance, all I see is how great our product is according to these Big Name Folks and How to Buy. But nothing on what it does.

Finally found a little link on the moving slideshow.

As an insomniac, I don't see this doing anything for me except make pretty graphs. As much as I love graphs (I really do), I don't see this as being useful to me. Coach? Yes, I can see it being called that. But the CURE it touts isn't anything it does. That's all the users doing. They seem to advertise that it is the cure/fix but it's not. The only truly interesting thing that has me curious enough to try one is the wake up option.

But the price is too steep for me to get one to try out.

Quote:wesnkat Feb 19 2012

I have had my zeo several months now and like how it shows the sleep stages.The nights I use it I download the info into sleepyhead. The only drawback I've found is having to use a pillow mask instead of my quattro. Tried the quattrofx but didn't like it so only use the zeo once in a while to see how things are coming along.
To make the story short if my zeo stops working I will buy another one.

Quote:old64mb Feb 20 2012

Quote:PaulaO
Feb 18 2012, 04:57 PM
But the CURE it touts isn't anything it does. That's all the users doing.

Absolutely true. The user is responsible for actually practicing sleep discipline.

But the figures I was quoted by my sleep doc suggest that something like 75%-80% of insomniacs aren't practicing effective sleep discipline. (She had one patient earlier that day refuse to keep her dogs off her bed despite them waking her up 5 times a night - and came in with a request for more Ambien. This is what doctors really grind their teeth about.)

The Zeo is a tool, like any others. Maybe those who are in that smaller group that doesn't drink caffeine past 6 pm, keep a constant wake time in the morning, doesn't watch TV or play with their computer right before bed, doesn't take naps during the day, do get early morning sunlight, and that do stay out of the bedroom except for sleep and sex won't find this useful.

Sleep discipline has been proven over and over again in clinical studies to be more effective than any of the Z's for sleep quality, especially for insomniacs, and that's why if the tool is used properly I think it's pretty interesting. Most people find that if you data in front of you, typically it's a bit easier to see the efforts you have made and keep them up. I'm not an insomniac, but even I find the ability to link sleep discipline to latency and quality fairly interesting, and it's not something I've been able to do with any other device.

Quote: Cutter
I hope the above helps you out until new posts arrive.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just played "Anderson" what I recorded earlier and was going to post a question if anyone knew anything about this zeo. Sounds interesting. I would like to know more about my stages of sleep and how much REM etc. Wish I had been in the audience because everyone got one. I would like to see him do a show about sleep apnea and how many people have this but don't know it. Recently on the local news they were talking about too much sleep is risk of heart problems as well and too little. I get about six to 7 most nights but when I am soo drowsey tired at 2 or 3 Pm some days I just have to nap for two or three hours then I am awake til late. I get the sleep but sometimes it is divided between night and naps. I might want to go grocery shopping but find I am too sleepy to do so. I nap and then sometimes go later around five PM. I probably have bad sleep habits but I do not have a tv or computer in my bedroom. I do not drink caffene but occasionally an Excedrin for a headache creates caffeine problems later and even RLS. BTW how much does a zeo cost and can insurance cover it if a sleep doc orders one? I do not have a phone that would play back any data, so right now it would be pointless to buy one. It was an interesting show if anyone can see it on their computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2012, 01:38 AM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I just played "Anderson" what I recorded earlier and was going to post a question if anyone knew anything about this zeo. Sounds interesting. I would like to know more about my stages of sleep and how much REM etc. Wish I had been in the audience because everyone got one. I would like to see him do a show about sleep apnea and how many people have this but don't know it. Recently on the local news they were talking about too much sleep is risk of heart problems as well and too little. I get about six to 7 most nights but when I am soo drowsey tired at 2 or 3 Pm some days I just have to nap for two or three hours then I am awake til late. I get the sleep but sometimes it is divided between night and naps. I might want to go grocery shopping but find I am too sleepy to do so. I nap and then sometimes go later around five PM. I probably have bad sleep habits but I do not have a tv or computer in my bedroom. I do not drink caffene but occasionally an Excedrin for a headache creates caffeine problems later and even RLS. BTW how much does a zeo cost and can insurance cover it if a sleep doc orders one? I do not have a phone that would play back any data, so right now it would be pointless to buy one. It was an interesting show if anyone can see it on their computer.

The Zeo is around £140.00 and there is a mobile version too if you want more info on it then go to there website.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2012, 03:30 AM)Gazby Wrote:
(03-28-2012, 01:38 AM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I just played "Anderson" what I recorded earlier and was going to post a question if anyone knew anything about this zeo. Sounds interesting. I would like to know more about my stages of sleep and how much REM etc. Wish I had been in the audience because everyone got one. I would like to see him do a show about sleep apnea and how many people have this but don't know it. Recently on the local news they were talking about too much sleep is risk of heart problems as well and too little. I get about six to 7 most nights but when I am soo drowsey tired at 2 or 3 Pm some days I just have to nap for two or three hours then I am awake til late. I get the sleep but sometimes it is divided between night and naps. I might want to go grocery shopping but find I am too sleepy to do so. I nap and then sometimes go later around five PM. I probably have bad sleep habits but I do not have a tv or computer in my bedroom. I do not drink caffene but occasionally an Excedrin for a headache creates caffeine problems later and even RLS. BTW how much does a zeo cost and can insurance cover it if a sleep doc orders one? I do not have a phone that would play back any data, so right now it would be pointless to buy one. It was an interesting show if anyone can see it on their computer.

The Zeo is around £140.00 and there is a mobile version too if you want more info on it then go to there website.

They are cheaper in the US. I used froogle.com to find them new for 100, and used for 90 dollars.
My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,201 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.