Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Zero water filter
RE: Zero water filter
@ Big Guy -

My understanding is that the new generation automobile batteries don't need water as they are gel batteries rather than traditional lead-acid batteries that need water and have been around for decades. What surprises me is that when a lead-acid auto battery wears out, I would have thought you could only get a gel-type replacement. Live and learn I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2021, 06:47 PM)clownbell Wrote: @ Big Guy -

My understanding is that the new generation automobile batteries don't need water as they are gel batteries rather than traditional lead-acid batteries that need water and have been around for decades. What surprises me is that when a lead-acid auto battery wears out, I would have thought you could only get a gel-type replacement. Live and learn I guess.

Yes, you are right. Both of our vehicles have the gel-type, maintenance free batteries in them. And yes, you can replace the older lead acid battery with the newer versions. 

I was just thinking out loud when you had to add water to keep the battery cell levels up. Using tap water was a sure way to kill the battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2021, 01:50 PM)Gabi Wrote: Mate .. that's really dangerous. The purpose of using distilled water, is NOT because of hard water deposits. It is to prevent impurities from getting into your nasal cavities. People have been found with really bad things growing inside them because they were not using distilled water.

ZeroWater gets water down to ZERO. But is that as safe as distilled?  That's what I came here to ascertain. This response is not helpful.

And advocating using tap water borders on giving medical advice without a license. 

Please don't do that.
All the best.

Sorry, your assumption is incorrect. The SOLE purpose of distilled water is to reduce the mineral build-up in the humidifier reservoir. 

The vapor produced by the humidification process is incapable of transporting pathogens or "bad things" into your nasal cavities. See this information.

What You Should Know About CPAP Humidification - Sleep Apnea
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Great article upsman. I especially found this section very interesting. Quoted from the above link.

"Studies show that even if pathogens were able to exist in the humidification chamber, they would not be able to be transported to the patient. The humidity from the chamber is in vapor form, which is too small for a bacteria or virus to travel in!

Passover humidification (both cool and heated) is molecular humidity in that what exits either a cold or heated unit is water vapor or water molecules that are in the .0001 micron size.

Bacteria (.2 to 10 microns) and virus (.017 to .3 microns) are much larger. Therefore it would be physically impossible for water molecules to transport either bacteria or virus even if the chamber was full of GUNK! In other words, there is NO means of transport.

Heated humidification adds the additional safety net in that it will kill off 90% of the pathogens within 10 minutes of achieving full temperature."

Bacteria is my main concern and regarding growth in the tubing. Warm moisture grows bacteria.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2021, 10:52 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: Great article upsman.  I especially found this section very interesting. Quoted from the above link.

"Studies show that even if pathogens were able to exist in the humidification chamber, they would not be able to be transported to the patient. The humidity from the chamber is in vapor form, which is too small for a bacteria or virus to travel in!

Passover humidification (both cool and heated) is molecular humidity in that what exits either a cold or heated unit is water vapor or water molecules that are in the .0001 micron size.

Bacteria (.2 to 10 microns) and virus (.017 to .3 microns) are much larger. Therefore it would be physically impossible for water molecules to transport either bacteria or virus even if the chamber was full of GUNK! In other words, there is NO means of transport.

Heated humidification adds the additional safety net in that it will kill off 90% of the pathogens within 10 minutes of achieving full temperature."

Bacteria is my main concern and regarding growth in the tubing.  Warm moisture grows bacteria.

I don't like breathing warm moist air. If I did, I'd live in Florida or maybe Louisiana. 

I keep my humidifier turned off, as well as the hose temp.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2021, 10:52 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: Great article upsman.  I especially found this section very interesting. Quoted from the above link.

It's amazing how people think the water needs to be sterilized or boiled first. It's understandable to think this without any research. 

I have another couple of studies done by the NIH that say basically the same thing. You'd be surprised at how many people still won't accept scientific studies.  Oh-jeez
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2021, 11:06 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I don't like breathing warm moist air. If I did, I'd live in Florida or maybe Louisiana. 

I keep my humidifier turned off, as well as the hose temp.

I don't either, but I've had sinus issues from lack of humidity and humidifier is necessary clear up any sinus issues. 

Humidifier is used when the humidity level is dry.  Majority of the time, AZ is lower than what is consider ideal himidity for an avg person.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2021, 12:06 PM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: I don't either, but I've had sinus issues from lack of humidity and humidifier is necessary clear up any sinus issues. 

Humidifier is used when the humidity level is dry.  Majority of the time, AZ is lower than what is consider ideal himidity for an avg person.

You can humidify your entire bedroom with a humidifier bought at just about any drug store.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 999 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 176 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 152 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 195 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,929 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,513 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.