Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Zero water filter
Zero water filter
Hi

I would be grateful if anyone can advise if Zero water can be used in the place of distilled water in our CPAP machines.
There have been times when travelling to the Far East, trying to find distilled water is a pain.

Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Zero water filter
We have both a Brita and a Zero Water pitcher. Not sure if either can purify water to the standards that distilled water holds. 

We have hard water here, with lots of calcium in it. I've been using tap water now for well over a year. I empty the water reservoir each & every morning like clock work. I then wipe it dry with a tissue. I experience very little mineral build-up by doing this. 

If for some chance, I do see some build-up, some white vinegar gets rid of it very quickly and easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the exception being carbonated, flavored water, any drinkable to you water may be used in the humidifier water tub. As noted, higher mineral content may require more cleaning of the tub.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use water from a Zero Water pitcher at our cottage where we have very high dissolved solids. It works great.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can drink it, you can use it in the humidifier. Travelling in SE Asia I use tapwater where it's drinkable (eg Singapore) and ordinary bottled water in places that are a bit suspect (Myanmar, Laos). So far I've never had a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Many thanks folks for your replies & comments - sorry for the slow acknowledgment as this time round I was not notified of your replies unlike previously there would be an alert in my email when there were responses to my past inquiry.
I will likely try out the Zero water since I own their pitcher & I do agree water in Singapore should be fine. In Malaysia I couldn't readily find distilled water & someone there suggested I get the distilled water for the car batteries which I have my concern.

Thanks once again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2020, 11:00 AM)Big Guy Wrote: We have both a Brita and a Zero Water pitcher. Not sure if either can purify water to the standards that distilled water holds. 

We have hard water here, with lots of calcium in it. I've been using tap water now for well over a year. I empty the water reservoir each & every morning like clock work. I then wipe it dry with a tissue. I experience very little mineral build-up by doing this. 

If for some chance, I do see some build-up, some white vinegar gets rid of it very quickly and easily.

Mate .. that's really dangerous. The purpose of using distilled water, is NOT because of hard water deposits. It is to prevent impurities from getting into your nasal cavities. People have been found with really bad things growing inside them because they were not using distilled water.

ZeroWater gets water down to ZERO. But is that as safe as distilled?  That's what I came here to ascertain. This response is not helpful.

And advocating using tap water borders on giving medical advice without a license. 

Please don't do that.
All the best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Impurities will not magically get in the air. The water from the humidifier gets heated, which causes distilled particles of water for humidification. Same process as distilling. Only concern is mineral build-up and vinegar will take care of it. Once vinegar drys, there is no vinegar odor.

It's much simpler to use tap water and clean with vinegar on occasions. If you have a good water filter that filters msinerala well, it makes sense to use the filtered water. I use filtered water and there is no buildup I can tell. Distilled water is not necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2021, 01:50 PM)Gabi Wrote: And advocating using tap water borders on giving medical advice without a license. 

I've been using tap water for about 8-9 years now. If it's not safe to drink, it's not safe to use in your humidifier. Some tap water is hard, and it can leave mineral deposits in the chamber, but those can easily be removed with vinegar.

Here's a Wiki article on the subject:http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/CPAP_humidifier_water
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If and when I have to add water to our vehicle's battery, it gets distilled water. That's a necessity. 

But, in a CPAP machine, it's not necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 845 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 119 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.