Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Zolpidem use?
RE: Zolpidem use?
(01-14-2015, 10:32 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I have quit cold turkey a few times after extended periods of use. Usually would go to sleep by the third day and would sleep pretty well after that for a long while, though still get up earlier than I would prefer - 6 hours is a long sleep night.

OMM

6 hours? You get to sleep 6 hours? I wouldn't know what to do with a whole 6 hour's sleep. You guys are soft.Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 12:38 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I take 5mg zolpidem for sleep issues secondary to fibromyalgia. Even with the Z I would often lie awake for hours - usually end up watching some late night TV, which is a horror not to be contemplated. Since going on the hose, I very seldom suffer from insomnia, so I should probably go off the zolpidem. But when my dose is already so low (half a tablet) is there a practical way to taper off? Would taking it only every second night be a sensible way to go?

As an aside I've never (to my knowledge) had any of the bizarre behaviour side effects. One night recently, however, something strange happened. It had been a biggish occasion and I had taken a small amount of alcohol (I'm normally a non-drinker). I couldn't get to sleep so I took another half tab of Z and went off. When I woke up next morning, my mask, headgear & hose were not there! I found them in the bathroom - hose & headgear neatly hung over the towel rail, mask separated into its various components and also hung up. I can only assume it was a combination of alcohol and a higher dose of zolpidem which caused this unusual behaviour.

Could be. Try not to do it again would be your warning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 01:57 AM)sumzzzs Wrote: I believe I have correct machine in profile now, but I'm not sure it auto adjusts pressure at all?

The 750 has the capability of adjusting the pressure as you sleep. The pressure is displayed on the screen. You'll see two numbers, the IPAP and the EPAP. If you happen to wake up during the night take a look and see if the numbers are different from what they were the last time you looked.

Quote:If it does it doesn't appear to be anticipating my CA, which to be honest I'm not exactly sure how to interpret every one on Sleepyhead. Some don't appear to not disrupt my breathing but most do....

When you stop breathing for 10 seconds or more the machine scores an apnea. If your airway is open during this period of time a CA is scored. Pressure is not adjusted in response to CA's. If your airway is obstructed during an apnea, the machine will raise the pressure to prevent future apneas. It also raises the pressure in response to breathing patterns that indicate an airway collapse is coming.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 03:21 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(01-15-2015, 01:57 AM)sumzzzs Wrote: I believe I have correct machine in profile now, but I'm not sure it auto adjusts pressure at all?

The 750 has the capability of adjusting the pressure as you sleep. The pressure is displayed on the screen. You'll see two numbers, the IPAP and the EPAP. If you happen to wake up during the night take a look and see if the numbers are different from what they were the last time you looked.

Quote:If it does it doesn't appear to be anticipating my CA, which to be honest I'm not exactly sure how to interpret every one on Sleepyhead. Some don't appear to not disrupt my breathing but most do....

When you stop breathing for 10 seconds or more the machine scores an apnea. If your airway is open during this period of time a CA is scored. Pressure is not adjusted in response to CA's. If your airway is obstructed during an apnea, the machine will raise the pressure to prevent future apneas. It also raises the pressure in response to breathing patterns that indicate an airway collapse is coming.

Is there a setting on my machine to make sure it is adjusting pressure in response to my apnea's? I had a real bad night with at least 50 of them scored. Mostly CA. Many more when I know I was awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm... is your pressure too high? That can sometimes trigger CA events as well.

Just a note, because you said many more than when awake - you can't score for that with CPAP and it has no effect on the waking body at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 06:36 PM)DocWils Wrote: Hmmm... is your pressure too high? That can sometimes trigger CA events as well.

Just a note, because you said many more than when awake - you can't score for that with CPAP and it has no effect on the waking body at all.

Pressure to high? Maybe, I'm new at this don't even have sleep report in hand yet. I'm not scoring the CA's I had while awake. Usually I fall asleep right away...but that's because I take Zolpidem. Last night I went with 5 mg and had a horrible time sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 12:38 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I take 5mg zolpidem for sleep issues secondary to fibromyalgia. Even with the Z I would often lie awake for hours - usually end up watching some late night TV, which is a horror not to be contemplated. Since going on the hose, I very seldom suffer from insomnia, so I should probably go off the zolpidem. But when my dose is already so low (half a tablet) is there a practical way to taper off? Would taking it only every second night be a sensible way to go?

As an aside I've never (to my knowledge) had any of the bizarre behaviour side effects. One night recently, however, something strange happened. It had been a biggish occasion and I had taken a small amount of alcohol (I'm normally a non-drinker). I couldn't get to sleep so I took another half tab of Z and went off. When I woke up next morning, my mask, headgear & hose were not there! I found them in the bathroom - hose & headgear neatly hung over the towel rail, mask separated into its various components and also hung up. I can only assume it was a combination of alcohol and a higher dose of zolpidem which caused this unusual behaviour.
According to my Dr. and the literature, amnesia like this is a common side effect of Z. I've never experienced it.

Post Reply Post Reply
I took ambien CR 12.5mg (zolpidem tartrate extended-release tablets) for about 5 years prior to going on the cpap. I loved it. never had any issues sleeping to my knowledge. Got put on the cpap and really havent needed it much since. at times when i feel i need a good nights sleep, ill take one and sleep like a rock for a solid 8-9 hours.

I have taken an ambien CR and a hydrocodone (for back pain) and was late to a 9am meeting after being in bed at 9pm LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP can be a sleep induction on its own, once one gets used to it - heck, I now go to bed wired from work, put on the mask and in a little while, ZZZZZZZ's-ville. It is a psychological trigger rather than a physiological one, like a pill, but even so, it can work very well, once you are off other sleep meds.
Post Reply Post Reply
I so wish to be like you all someday, but I'm going to have to go back to my Ambien tonight. I'll see how my numbers are tomorrow, last night was skewed due to my lying awake and scoring apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.