Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

a difference between SH & Oscar
RE: a difference between SH & Oscar
all you math whizzes out there may have already dismissed the issue I raised above regarding the disparity between max values in SH and Oscar. I'm a little slower. my math skills have always been pretty weak, and weaker with age it seems, but upon further reflection IDK if there's a problem there or not but am slowly realizing, I think, that the difference between 99% and 100% isn't necessarily 1%, which is what I initially based my assumption on, that there might be an additional max calculation problem. feel free to correct me. I suspect this is pretty elementary arithmetic and I'm a little embarrassed (disconcerted even) by my uncertainty. lingering brain fog, I hope.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried exporting the daily data in question and preform the percentile function on it in Excel?  99 Percentile and 99 Percent are totally 2 different animals.

Example:
11 numbers in order of input: 8, 4, 11, 15, 7, 6, 5, 8, 8, 3, and 1
Sum = 76
Average = 6.909091
50 Percent = 38
99 Percent = 75.24

- Compared to: -

50 Percentile or Median = 7
90 Percentile = 11
99 Percentile = 14.6

To obtain a percentile, you first organize your data set by order of magnitude.
This would make " 8, 4, 11, 15, 7, 6, 5, 8, 8, 3, 1" to be listed as "1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8, 11, 15".
Next you look at (or extrapolate) the value at the position's relative position.  Example: The value of 7 in the Median, or middle, of the data set and corresponds to the 50 Percentile value. Using the 90% from the beginning of the data returns the value "11" in that location.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
a 95% value is not 95% of the max value but the value at which 95% of the data points are below.
Max is and should always be Max.  It was changed in SHv1.1.0 to remove outliers.  In reality max anything means very little since it is usually an outlier.  We will find another way of handling that.
Post Reply Post Reply
so max figures are percentiles? I didn't see that explicitly noted in the program but makes more sense given the 95% context as bonjour notes. which suggests that I was initially mistaken (and the difference between 100% and 99% is not 1%) and the figures I noted above may not be miscalculated. sorry for the confusion and thanks for the explanations.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2019, 04:36 PM)sheepless Wrote: so max figures are percentiles?
No, a max value is the absolute highest value recorded.  Using flow rates as an example, if you took you  mask off while your CPAP was still running, it would record this flow rate as your max value, but it has nothing to do with your actual therapeutic flow rates.  In an effort to remove these spikes, or artifacts, is why SH and OSCAR started using the 99 percentile value as the max value.

Oops
Edit: I just reread your post and realized that I read it incorrectly.  You are correct! the max value listed in SH 1.1.0 and OSCAR is the 99 percentile value and NOT the highest recorded.
Sorry!

Side note: when attempting to use the emoticon for "sorry", which use to be the word sorry enclosed by colons on each end, produces this weird symbol.
Code:
:sorry:
results in: Confusedorry:

Oh Well . . .
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry, I meant the max value that's not a max but said to be 99%. plus I was thinking true max and 100% can be expressed as the 100th percentile even if doing so doesn't tell us much more than max or 100%. but I'm really out of my element here as much schooling has faded.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are CORRECT Sir! I was editing my post above yours with a correction and got side tracked.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2019, 06:58 AM)bonjour Wrote: Guy, does SH 1.1.0 do the same?  SH1.0.0?

To summarize the behavior after further testing, SH 1.1.0 and OSCAR ResMed importer:

1. If a day has one or more sessions with detailed data, any summary sessions are completely ignored.
  2. If there are only summary sessions, then all summary sessions for the day are reported.  There is no statistics data.  Sample day attached.

Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
This may not be the case, but as a new user I found very soon that ResMed thinks, that no one can sleep over midday or noon.
As a night worker, going to bed at 8 am and waking up 4 pm shoved me, that I had slept only 4 hours at that night...
I solved the problem (with help of this forum, thanks!) adjusting the ResMed clock 7 hours behind. So if I'm not sleeping at 7 pm (which is only once in a blue moon), stats are correct for me.

But do not know, if this is anything related to the topic...
Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
a variant of this issue: yesterday I downloaded from the sd card. my last session was short and I wasn't asleep so I turned it off. I don't think this has anything to do with it but mention just in case. returned card to the machine. napped before noon. today I downloaded from sd card. in SH 1.0.0 beta 2 broken gl, yesterday's nap session and nap data appear in yesterday's SH data. Oscar ignores the nap. no session listed and no data. there are no summary sessions in either program, unless a turned off session is treated like a summary session. I did not close the program yesterday or today (some misbehaviors seem to show up only after closing and reopening the program).

the difference between this incidence and the one at the top of this thread is: the first time the data wasn't recorded on the sd card because it was locked; this time the data is on the card but Oscar ignored it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow Difference between Response Standard, Soft and Autoset for Her mode skvbksc321 0 492 01-18-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: skvbksc321
Smile SPO2 - What is Data Joint and what is the difference between a 1-Day and 2-Day Joint? jobtimate 9 1,018 11-02-2021, 06:18 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  Import CSV oxymeter data because of time difference Sisyphos 7 869 10-27-2021, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Sisyphos
  Req: Difference Philips DreamStation DSX400H11C vs EUX500S15 ? GerardDirks 4 993 05-31-2021, 04:27 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Location Setting - Time Difference Snooks 4 767 03-05-2021, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Snooks
  Difference in AHI Number mawaw1992 6 869 01-11-2021, 10:25 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Two hour time difference when importing SpO2 data in OSCAR Chrisk100 8 1,479 06-25-2020, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Dugy40

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.