Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

a fix for ear popping with cpap
a fix for ear popping with cpap
Told my sleep doc that I was having issues with my ears from the start, and that having to take 4 flights in 2 weeks had stuffed em good, and that the cpap was keeping them that way.... He gave me a tip that I thought I would pass along, seems I have read others say they have ear issues. It's a real simple one.

Don't swallow until you breath out.

That's it, and I am happy to say, not only did this stop air from filling the eustachian tubes, but it popped out the remaining poppage I was fighting.

My doc is a hosehead too. I think I will keep him Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: a fix for ear popping with cpap
Thanks for the tip!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have that very same issue and it is quite annoying, I have asked many times and many people and nothing has helped me. The only thing that works for me and it's only 50/50 is I don my mask, breathe in through my nose, and allow the air to come out my mouth for a few seconds, and then I breathe through my nose exclusively. I will try your suggestion this evening and see if it works for me, if it does it would be a welcome relief to an annoying issue.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can learn to use them without the nose plugs, an oracle oral mask doesn't put any air pressure in your nose, so there is no pressure going into your ears.

I find the mask rather uncomfortable in general, but it will fix problems of ear popping and and nasolacrimal duct problems.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 06:36 PM)archangle Wrote: If you can learn to use them without the nose plugs, an oracle oral mask doesn't put any air pressure in your nose, so there is no pressure going into your ears.

I find the mask rather uncomfortable in general, but it will fix problems of ear popping and and nasolacrimal duct problems.

That is an extremely interesting mask. Strictly a mouthpiece, very interesting indeed. I've not seen anything like that before. I wonder what that feels like...... have you used one? (I guess you have as you say it is uncomfortable)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 07:35 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(12-14-2014, 06:36 PM)archangle Wrote: If you can learn to use them without the nose plugs, an oracle oral mask doesn't put any air pressure in your nose, so there is no pressure going into your ears.

That is an extremely interesting mask. Strictly a mouthpiece, very interesting indeed. I've not seen anything like that before. I wonder what that feels like...... have you used one? (I guess you have as you say it is uncomfortable)

Seems like you would wind up with a dry mouth to beat all dry mouths... ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The instructions say you do need a humidifier with it. The feeling of not breathing through the nose was also uncomfortable to me, in addition to dry mouth. I was never very comfortable sleeping with it, but if it solved other problems I could probably learn to live with it.

There are also some neurological feedback mechanisms in your heart and lung systems that are affected by some air flow sensors in the nose, so it might exacerbate other things in some people.

Remember, a number of people end up breathing through their nose many nights anyway due to deviated septa, stuffy nose, etc., so in some ways, it's not too bad.

Breathing through your mouth does tend to lead to dry mouth, but it's not as bad as breathing through your mouth with a nasal mask, where there's a constant rush of extra air through your mouth, instead of just the air you're inhaling and exhaling.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I found that out by accident one night. If I swallow at the end of an exhale no ear pop or pressure. Any other way there is though it doesnt bother me much unless im swallowing like a desert horse at a water hole LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to say I can't make any of this work. No matter what I do my ears clog. It is rare I can not expect to swallow and have my ears stuffed and then pop. No matter what I do it never seems to work, and it really is annoying. Such is life I guess, sometimes things will just be annoying and need to be tolerated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Thanks
This has totally helped my ear popping issue! Such a simple remedy, will be passing along this invaluable info!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 664 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Ears popping from full face mask arborgent 0 391 01-20-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: arborgent
  SOLVED - ResMed Aircurve 10 popping noise FJ40 18 11,943 11-29-2022, 02:30 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  "Fullness"/Pressure in ears, ears popping. How can I stop this? JustAUser 0 546 10-13-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: JustAUser
  VS and VS2 popping up lately, any thoughts? Phaleronic 2 576 11-24-2021, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Ear “popping” as if on aeroplane BobbieM 17 3,272 02-17-2021, 08:36 PM
Last Post: hegel
Question Ears popping & mouth filling with air SpicyButt 4 2,065 12-21-2020, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.