Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

advice/comments central apnea
advice/comments central apnea
Hi all , first off a bit of background - i was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (complex ) last year (52 per hr) and given a cpap to to try (after using for multiple nights this did nothing for me ) , was then given a bipap machine (again no / little improvement ) , a few weeks ago after seeing the consultant again (UK based NHS) i was given a resmed s9 autoset ASV to try as most of my events are centrals , this machine is a lot better to tolerate but i still keep waking up a lot gasping for air (sometime pulling the mask off) - does anyone have any ideas about what is going on and what needs to be done with the ASV ?
when i had the sleep study done they said i also have a lot of movement going on but this has not been addressed by the consultant (im assuming he thinks the apneas are waking me up and not the movement and correcting this will solve the other)

i have attached a screenshot and zoomed in on a few of the central events , if i need to post anymore/different screenshots to help ppl please let me know - and thanks for any advice anyone can give Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: advice/comments central apnea
G'day Pugster.

Are you sure you have an ASV? That's not what your Oscar screenshot is showing. You appear to have an ordinary Autoset which will not treat central apnea. What is printed on the machine near the power button?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi , i was told this is an ASV by the nurse (they said it was a 'test' machine and if it helped a new machine would be ordered for me) , it simply has 'autoset' above the power button and 'EPR' underneath it. Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
Please look at this image.  It should say AirCurve.
[Image: ResMed-AirCurve-10.png]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems maybe the nurse made a mistake.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
this is the model im using (it is supposed to have CSA detection and compensation) - if you zoom in you can see it just says 'autoset'

* ive just been on the phone to the sleep clinic and as ppl have stated this is not an ASV ( even though it has some sort of CSA software) - im going in tomorrow to pick up the correct model.

many thanks for pointing out this is not a true ASV - as i would not have known myself

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed, search for Resmed S9 Autoset machine bundle at TheCPAPshop

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
[/code]
Post Reply Post Reply
An Autoset is not an ASV and it will not address the central apnea. Tell them you need a machine that says ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears you are currently using a Resmed S9 Autoset. The S9 Autoset has the capability to determine if an apnea is central or obstructive using the forced oscillation technique (FOT). I assume you hope to pick up a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV from your sleep clinic. The ASV (adaptive servo ventilator) is an effective therapy for central and complex apnea. These machines tend to be quite expensive, so be sure you fully understand your financial obligations, and verify the machine is new, before accepting delivery. All Resmed machines track Run Hours which can not be reset. You can ask the clinic to show you the run hours, or plug the machine in and enter the clinical settings, and scroll down to the About Menu. This men will show user hours, run hours as well as information about the machine model and firmware. Here is a quick tutorial on how to access the clinical settings https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info

Be sure the machine you are picking up is new, and is the Aircurve 10 ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2020, 09:38 AM)pugster Wrote: this is the model im using (it is supposed to have CSA detection and compensation) - if you zoom in you can see it just says 'autoset'

* ive just been on the phone to the sleep clinic and as ppl have stated this is not an ASV ( even though it has some sort of CSA software) - im going in tomorrow to pick up the correct model.

many thanks for pointing out this is not a true ASV - as i would not have known myself
[/code]

Sleeprider pointed out what the machine is doing to identify the central apneas.  But there is a big difference between identifying the problem and fixing it.

What is sad is that all the sleep clinic has to do is look at a Resmed brouchere to see that the Airsense 10 Autoset detects central sleep apnea and the Aircure 10 ASV "treats" central sleep apnea.  It's not buried  on the last page of a clinician manual.

...and no, Resmed didn't design a "special" Autoset with unique software just for your sleep clinic.  Especially an S9 version Autoset; which I also own and didn't work for my central apneas.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider - I think the OP said he was in the UK on the NHS (and his profile indicates that), so he and I are lucky in that sense there is no cost to us for the machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 4 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 574 4 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 171 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 863 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,798 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.