Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

advice on switching from pillows to a FFM
advice on switching from pillows to a FFM
Hi all,

I've been on therapy for around a year, and have used airfit P10 pillows the whole time. The problem is, I'm a chronic mouth-breather and no change to my pressure has assisted.

I'm at the stage where i can no longer deal with the chinstrap as I feel the heat terribly and i get so sweaty and itchy even on cooler nights, quite frankly I hate it and i'm finding my compliance waning a bit because of it.

Therefore, I'm strongly considering switching to a FFM and am wondering if anyone else has gone from pillows to a FFM and what was your experience in doing so. I'm looking at possibly a ResMed airfit F10, but am open to any suggestions. I'm a fairly active sleeper although i mainly sleep on my side. Noise and comfort are probably the two most important considerations.

Thanks so much in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: advice on switching from pillows to a FFM
tml678,
I switch between nasal pillows (P10) and a FFM (F&P Simplus) all the time. I get bored with one and go to the other. I'm a mouth breather as well and I have noticed that my AHI is lower with a FFM. Sometimes I change between pillow models. I jump between the DreamWear and P10. Each one has a different feel.

As far as suggestions for a mask brand; Due to the varied facial structure, whatever is the most comfortable for you and works. Each mask has it own characteristics.

Good luck.
-Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2016, 09:52 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: tml678,
I switch between nasal pillows (P10) and a FFM (F&P Simplus) all the time. I get bored with one and go to the other. I'm a mouth breather as well and I have noticed that my AHI is lower with a FFM. Sometimes I change between pillow models. I jump between the DreamWear and P10. Each one has a different feel.

As far as suggestions for a mask brand; Due to the varied facial structure, whatever is the most comfortable for you and works. Each mask has it own characteristics.

Good luck.
-Red

Thanks for the speedy reply Red! I wish there was a way of trialing different masks without having to spend a fortune buying each one individually. My AHI is really good with the pillows (around 1.4 over the past 11mths) so obviously i'd like to maintain that.

Do you mouth-breathe when using pillows, and if not, how do you manage it?

I think i might need to go back to my sleep physician and at least see if i can try on different FFM's in his office.

I need to do something as the chinstrap is driving me crazy..

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, tml678. Do you still have leak problems with the chin strap? If not, have you tried sleeping without the chin strap to verify that you still have a mouth leaking problem?

Just a suggestion. I've seen posts on this forum where people say that after using a chin strap for a long period of time, they discover that they no longer have a problem with mouth breathing.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2016, 10:29 AM)green wings Wrote: Hi, tml678. Do you still have leak problems with the chin strap? If not, have you tried sleeping without the chin strap to verify that you still have a mouth leaking problem?

Just a suggestion. I've seen posts on this forum where people say that after using a chin strap for a long period of time, they discover that they no longer have a problem with mouth breathing.

Hi greenwings,

Admittedly I haven't used sleepyhead in a while, but I always get a smiley face for leakage with the strap on, and my mouth isn't dry at all so i know it's working fairly well.

I have tried without the strap a few times over the last months and i'll nearly always get an elbow from my wife or i'll wake up with air pouring out of my mouth and the inevitable red face on the machine in the morning.

i've tried varying pressures, doing the tongue-suck method, (which works while i'm awake, but my mouth inevitably drops open after falling asleep).

I don't know what other options are available to me other than a FFM :/

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like you know that you still have a leak problem without the chin strap. I just thought I'd ask.

(07-13-2016, 10:59 AM)tml678 Wrote: I have tried without the strap a few times over the last months and i'll nearly always get an elbow from my wife or i'll wake up with air pouring out of my mouth and the inevitable red face on the machine in the morning.

Post Reply Post Reply
tml678,
I use a Ruby chinstrap. I've found it's the only one that will work for me. Each chinstrap in the marketplace seems to fit differently, kind of like masks. I never liked wearing anything on my head, including hats. Because of this, it took me a while to get used to masks and chinstraps. I still don't like the feeling but I can now sleep with them.

I sometimes use paper first-aid adhesive tape but not on any regular basis.

I still mouth breathe when I use the FFM but the air is captured and doesn't cause a leak event in the data. My mouth breathing seems to start at a certain pressure and, as the pressure rises, becomes more frequent. My mouth breathing is more frequent when I set my machine to auto, as opposed to straight pressure. I see that you are running a variable pressure. If your mouth breathing awakens you, you might cycling the CPAP on and off so it will show a break in the data when reviewing it. This way you will see the pressure that was in use at the time of the event.

Sorry for not having any more words of wisdom.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2016, 10:59 AM)tml678 Wrote: Admittedly I haven't used sleepyhead in a while, but I always get a smiley face for leakage with the strap on, and my mouth isn't dry at all so i know it's working fairly well.

You have to look closely at your leak rate graph. If you see extended chunks of time where the leak rate is elevated, that's an indication that you could be mouth-leaking. In my case it happened for amounts of time that were too small to register the sad face, but large enough that it was ruining my night's sleep.

This is what caused me to change from nasal pillows to a full face mask. Once I did that I started feeling much more rested during the day.

You should be able to make an appointment with your equipment provider to be fitted for a mask.

By the way, mouth-leaking is not the same as mouth-breathing. Mouth-breathing is caused by a stuffy nose and can occur with or without a CPAP machine, mouth-leaking is caused by the jaw-closing muscles relaxing and allowing the air pressurized by the CPAP machine to escape.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Thankyou everyone for your wonderful assistance. i'm going to make an appointment with my sleep physician to hopefully try out some FFM's.

I think sleepster hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that mouth breathing is not the same as mouth leaking and i think that it is the latter that applies to me, in that i can't keep my mouth shut when sleeping (or awake too if you believe my wife..).

I'm hoping that the FFM helps with this issue.

thankyou again Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
It is important when getting a FFM that you get the right size for you.

Of the conventional FFMs, I think that the Resmed Mirage Quattro and the F and P Simplus masks are the most adaptable to various facial features and both are good masks.

Full face masks require some work and patience to get them leak free but I love mine. Would I like to have something a little smaller attached to my face? Sure I would but so far the 2 masks mentioned above work for me and I have not found anything else that does.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 291 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 861 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,796 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.