Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

advice on updating Win 7
Please advise Oh-jeez
A few months ago I turned off the automatic updates on both our machines at home. I now realize that I should probably not have done that. Any suggestions as to how to choose which updates to install??

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
Change your update settings to, to paraphrase "Let me decide." You can then select the individual updates you'd like to receive. Unless you mean "Which specific updates do I select?"

On the plus, you've probably avoided Microsoft's naughty insistence that you update to Windows 10 this way. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2016, 06:08 PM)EnigmaGrey Wrote: Change your update settings to, to paraphrase "Let me decide." You can then select the individual updates you'd like to receive. Unless you mean "Which specific updates do I select?"

On the plus, you've probably avoided Microsoft's naughty insistence that you update to Windows 10 this way. Wink

Yes what I meant was "Which specific updates do I select?"

That may be a task...lol

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply

I have only been applying the updates marked as "Security Update for..."
I don't download any update, even so called important ones, that don't say "security."

You might go to Steve Gibson's site and get "never 10". It writes a registry key and a group policy to tell the machine not to update to Win10.

There is also Spybot Anti-Beacon which is supposed to stop any phone home updates from sending info the MSoft.

You might review this thread were we were talking about stopping Win10
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Stopping-Win-10

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info Mongo...like

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
I updated all my laptops and desktop machines to windows 10, and they all became a bit faster and mostly worked better except for some touchpad functions on one laptop. If the upgrade comes up that doesn't require a payment, take it. New laptops with touch screens and windows 10 are amazing and cheap. You will never miss the old one.
Post Reply Post Reply

(10-12-2016, 06:08 PM)EnigmaGrey Wrote: Change your update settings to, to paraphrase "Let me decide." You can then select the individual updates you'd like to receive. Unless you mean "Which specific updates do I select?"

Please excuse a silly question from someone who is technically challenged, but how do you change the update settings? So far I've managed to avoid changing to Windows 10. The people that I know that have changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10 like it. But they are people who are much, much better with computers than I am.

Post Reply Post Reply
GrammaBear,
Go to:
  1. Start->Control Panel->System and Security->Windows Update
  2. Locate the option on the left side labeled: "Change Settings"
  3. Select the options you desire.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need houseplant advice GrammaBear 16 1,209 03-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Last Post: GrammaBear
Money Financial advice I wouldn't pay for DeepBreathing 5 676 01-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  Lawnmower advice........ GrammaBear 22 1,312 08-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Last Post: AlanE
Question Flower Advice Please justMongo 6 1,105 08-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Sage advice... retired_guy 6 1,177 03-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
Question Advice on Digital TV - help! SuperSleeper 5 1,611 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Last Post: rickz1